The sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is now official, the NBA announced on Tuesday.
“I am humbled and honored to be the new owner of the Los Angeles Clippers,” Ballmer said in a released statement. “Clipper fans are so amazing. They have remained fiercely loyal to our franchise through some extraordinary times. I will be hard core in giving the team,our great coach, staff and players the support they need to do their best work on the court”
In a statement, the league said:
"The transaction in which Steve Ballmer purchased the Los Angeles Clippers closed today following the entry of an order by a California court confirming the authority of Shelly Sterling, on behalf of the Sterling Family Trust, to sell the team.
"The NBA Board of Governors previously approved the sale and Ballmer is now the Clippers Governor."
NBA commissioner Adam Silver ordered the removal of Donald Sterling as Clippers owner following the late April release of audio clips detailing Sterling making racist remarks. Sterling was also banned for life from the NBA, and fined $2.5 million. In May, Sterling vowed to fight the league on its forced sale, but it was announced that the team had been sold to Ballmer for $2 billion in an agreement reached with Shelly Sterling, wife of Donald.
Sterling continued to appeal the NBA's decision prior to the sale going official on Tuesday.
The Clippers responded simply on Twitter:
Stay with NBCSports.com for updates.