49ers

Agent: 49ers waiting on contract extensions

294663.jpg

Agent: 49ers waiting on contract extensions

Feb. 26, 2011MAIOCCO ARCHIVE49ERS PAGE 49ERS VIDEOMatt MaioccoCSNBayArea.comINDIANAPOLIS -- The 49ers are not seriously pursuing contract extensions before the NFL's collective bargaining agreement expires March 3, a prominent agent told Comcast SportsNet on Saturday.The 49ers have 15 players who are unsigned for next season, including quarterback Alex Smith. Coach Jim Harbaugh said this week the 49ers were in ongoing discussions with Smith's agent, Tom Condon.RELATED: Harbaugh wishes Smith 'fresh start' with 49ers
Paraag Marathe, the 49ers' chief contract negotiator, said he planned to meet with the agents of each of the 49ers' scheduled free agents during the NFL scouting combine."I'm just meeting with our players' agents," Marathe said Friday. "A lot of it is just relationship-building, more than anything else. Getting face to face is always better than on the phone.""We're operating how we planned to," Marathe added. "The plan is the way we're going right now. Nothing's real until it's real. I'm having these meetings with all our players' agents. (General manager) Trent (Baalke) is in some of them. And we'll see if something happens."The 49ers hold sole negotiating rights with all of their free agents until 9 p.m. (PT) March 3. After that, no players will be allowed to sign contracts with any team until there is a new CBA.The 49ers' scheduled free agents are:Alex Smith, quarterback
David Baas, center
Aubrayo Franklin, nose tackle
Manny Lawson, outside linebacker
Takeo Spikes, inside linebacker
Dashon Goldson, safety
Ray McDonald, defensive end
Barry Sims, tackle
Brian Westbrook, running back
Tony Wragge, guard
Troy Smith, quarterback
Demetric Evans, defensive end
Travis LaBoy, outside linebacker
Jeff Reed, kicker
Will James, cornerback
RELATED: 49ers roster

Shanahan: Beathard's play will have 'a ton' of influence on future decisions

beathard-shanahan.jpg
USATSI

Shanahan: Beathard's play will have 'a ton' of influence on future decisions

SANTA CLARA – While rookie quarterback C.J. Beathard is taking a micro view of his promotion, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan is not shy about admitting he is looking at the big picture.

Shanahan said how Beathard performs after replacing Brian Hoyer as starting quarterback will have “a ton” of influence on how the 49ers proceed during the offseason.

After all, the 49ers know every position will come under tremendous scrutiny as the organization looks to add the pieces that will make the club competitive.

“That’s for every position. That’s for every player on our team. That’s for every coach on our team,” Shanahan said. “We’re 0-6, and that’s extremely tough. But I’m extremely excited about this place and excited about where we’re at and where we’re going. There’s not a moment that I don’t waste thinking about that stuff.”

Beathard will make his first NFL start on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys at Levi’s Stadium.

Hoyer failed in his bid to earn consideration as the 49ers’ quarterback for the remainder of this season and beyond during his six starts. Hoyer completed just 58 percent of his passes with four touchdowns and four interceptions. His passer rating was 74.1.

Now, Beathard gets his chance. But he said he is not thinking about the big picture and what it might mean for the future.

“I’m really just trying to take it one day, one week at a time,” Beathard said. “I’m not looking that far ahead. Right now, my focus is on today’s practice and geared towards beating the Cowboys and doing the best we can to get better and improve.”

Beathard was pressed into action last week when Hoyer’s struggles continued at Washngton. Beathard stepped in and completed 19 of 36 passes for 245 yards with a touchdown and an interception. For the first time, Beathard is getting the first-team practice snaps with a game plan that is designed specifically for him.

Said Beathard, “Getting those extra reps, reps with guys that you don’t usually throw to, in the huddle with the guys that are out there, I think it’ll help a lot.”

Joe Montana: Dwight Clark appreciates all the support from former teammates

dwightjoe-ap.jpg
AP

Joe Montana: Dwight Clark appreciates all the support from former teammates

More than 35 players from the 49ers’ first Super Bowl champion will be in attendance on Sunday at Levi’s Stadium to show support for Dwight Clark, who revealed in March he was diagnosed with ALS.

Clark, 60, will have ample opportunity to reconnect with some of his old friends on Saturday evening and again on Sunday. At halftime, Joe Montana, surrounded by most of the 49ers' 1981 team, will introduce Clark before a video tribute.

Clark is also expected to make some remarks while situated in a suite for the 49ers’ game against the Dallas Cowboys.

Montana and his wife, Jennifer, have remained in close contact with Clark and his wife, Kelly. The Clarks recently watched the Blue Angels in San Francisco with the Montanas during Fleet Week.

“He’s getting pretty inundated with everyone staying in touch with him at this point,” Montana said on The 49ers Insider Podcast.

“It’s fun for him. At one point, he was telling his wife, Kelly, ‘This is what it’s all about. This is what I want and what I miss, seeing the guys.’ So any of the guys reaching out to him, he surely appreciates it.”

Montana said Clark has not lost his positive outlook or his sense of humor, as evidenced by some not-fit-for-print words he recently had about his wheelchair. Montana said there are always some good laughs and stories any time Clark gets together with his friends.

“That’s the fun part," Montana said. “You just try to get him to forget what’s there, and that you’re there for him whenever. I think the support is the biggest thing right now. In that stage of ALS, it's got to be getting tough, where all of a sudden, things are becoming more and more difficult.”