49ers

Source: Kap not willing to take Broncos' current pay-cut offer

kaepernick-colin-49ers-sideline.jpg

Source: Kap not willing to take Broncos' current pay-cut offer

Editor's note: The above video is from March 31, 2016.

Colin Kaepernick is willing to take a pay cut to play for the Denver Broncos, just not one as large as the reigning Super Bowl champions would like.

The Broncos are offering Kaepernick an annual salary of $7 million for the 2016 season and the 2017 season, a source close to the situation told CSNBayArea.com on Tuesday.

Kaepernick and the Broncos have "made progress" on a contract that would run through 2020, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday.

But the finances over the first two years are not favorable for Kaepernick. Agreeing to Denver's offer would cost the 28-year-old quarterback $12.4 million in base salary, and potentially as much as $16.2 million, over the next two years. His current contract with the 49ers pays a base salary of $11.9 million for the 2016 season and $14.5 million in 2017.

Even if the 49ers were to release Kaepernick before April 1 of next year, the quarterback could earn up to $14.3 million in 2016 -- more than the $14 million he would earn in two years with Denver.

Kaepernick would consider a deal with the Broncos that is slightly under his salary with the 49ers, according to the source. But Kaepernick “made his statement” regarding Denver’s current offer by reporting to San Francisco’s offseason program.

Kaepernick flew from Denver to the Bay Area late Sunday night after meeting with Broncos officials and arrived in time for the Monday morning start to the 49ers offseason program.

The 49ers quarterback will receive a $400,000 workout bonus for 90 percent participation in San Francisco's voluntary offseason program. He spent the majority of his first day under Chip Kelly’s tenure in meetings with new quarterbacks coach, Ryan Day, and offensive coordinator, Curtis Modkins.

A trade between the 49ers and Broncos is still a possibility, but the discrepancy in salary would have to be settled by the teams. Kaepernick and the 49ers are at odds, specifically over the diagnosis of injuries he sustained during the 2015 season, but the 49ers are not willing to pay the $4.9 million difference in salary in 2016 to send Kaepernick to Denver.

[REWIND: Kaepernick, 49ers at odds over injuries]

Kaepernick’s season ended when he underwent surgery in November to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder. In January, he had a torn ligament in his right thumb repaired and an arthroscopic procedure performed on his left knee. Dr. Peter Millett at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado performed the work and Kaepernick spent the next two months in Vail undergoing rehab.

Kaepernick has had no setbacks medically, according to the source, and is expected to need at least one more month before he is football-ready.

Under his current contract, which runs through 2020, the 49ers have the option to release Kaepernick before April 1 of each year with a minimal cap hit. 

Former 49ers quarterback takes over under center for Cardinals

blaine-ap.jpg
AP

Former 49ers quarterback takes over under center for Cardinals

TEMPE, Ariz. — Blaine Gabbert will get his first start for the Arizona Cardinals when they play the Texans in Houston on Sunday.

Coach Bruce Arians announced the decision after Friday's practice.

Drew Stanton, the starter the last two games, bruised his knee early in the Thursday night loss to Seattle last week. He stayed in the game but has been limited in practice all week.

Arians said it will be a game-time decision as to whether Stanton or recently signed Matt Barkley would be Gabbert's backup.

Gabbert will be making his 41st NFL start. He has a 9-31 record. He signed with Arizona last offseason and was the third quarterback until Carson Palmer broke his arm against the Los Angeles Rams in London and was lost for the season.

49ers Mailbag: Should Shanahan give up play-calling?

kyle-us.jpg
USATSI

49ers Mailbag: Should Shanahan give up play-calling?

Believe it or not, the 49ers’ offense is improved from last season.

The 49ers ranked 31st in the NFL in 2016, averaging 308.1 yards per game. Although the offense is producing just a little better (325.9 yards per game), their ranking this season has shot up to 21st in the league.

The 49ers have had a different head coach and different person running the offense in each of the past four seasons, so their continuity has been severely lacking.

Next season, the 49ers should finally have carryover from one season to the next.

The direction of the offense is one of the topics addressed on this edition of 49ers Mailbag (questions were submitted via Facebook):

Now that we have Jimmy G do you see 49ers getting an offensive coordinator or will it still be Kyle calling the plays? (Julio Orozco)
I'm not sure why the arrival of Jimmy Garoppolo would have any impact on the 49ers’ offensive structure, but in any event, the answer is a resounding, “No.”

Kyle Shanahan has been hailed as one of the best offensive coordinators in the NFL. The reason he was hired as 49ers head coach was, in large part, because of the success he achieved while designing offenses and calling plays.

Why would he give that up? It makes no sense.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN this week identified the 32 primary play-callers. There are 18 NFL head coaches with offensive backgrounds. Twelve of those coaches call their own plays.

Shanahan has a staff of assistant coaches on whom he leans. Passing game specialist Mike LaFleur and quarterbacks coach Rich Scangarello are closely involved in working with Shanahan on the passing game, while running game specialist Mike McDaniel, offensive line coach John Benton and running backs coach Bobby Turner spearhead the involvement in the ground game.

But, make no mistake, it is Shanahan who calls the shots. And that's the way it should be. If Shanahan stepped aside as his own offensive coordinator, he would be diminishing his biggest strength as a coach.

What do you see happing with the Hyde situation? We drafted Joe Williams and Breida seems to be a bright spot. There’s a lot of talk about Barkley from Penn State with that high 1st rounder. (Manny Hinojos)
There does not seem to be any movement toward a long-term extension for Hyde. It is getting to the point in the season where it makes a lot more sense for Hyde to play out his contract and hit the open market.

There is no question in my mind the 49ers like Hyde a lot. He has scored some major points with the organization for his performance on the field and how he has responded off the field.

GM John Lynch loved it when Hyde came to the defense of quarterback C.J. Beathard, tussled with Arizona lineman Frostee Rucker and got ejected from the game.

That said, the 49ers are not going to break the bank for Hyde. A multi-year agreement has to come at the right price. My personal feeling is that running backs are luxury pieces when the remainder of a team’s roster -- especially the offensive line -- is set.

Shanahan and his father, Mike Shanahan, and Turner (the assistant coach who served on both of their staffs) have achieved a lot of success without investing heavily in running backs. That’s why I think the 49ers would be best-served by investing elsewhere and using another mid-round draft pick on a running back.

With Joshua Garnett coming back next season how aggressive will Lynch and Shanahan be in trying to get guards this offseason? (David Hartless)
Garnett is not a particularly good fit for this offensive scheme. The presence of Garnett can help increase the competition next offseason, but I do not believe he is being penciled in as a starter.

The 49ers will certainly be aggressive in an attempt to upgrade the guard positions. Currently, Laken Tomlinson and Brandon Fusco are the starters. Neither will be assured a starting job when the offseason begins.

The 49ers did not see enough from Garnett to determine he has a future with the organization, but he will be given the opportunity to come back healthy and prove himself.

Is Eric Reid in long-term plans? (Grant Rasmussen)
I do not believe so. I think the 49ers would like their starting safeties next season to be Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt – with Adrian Colbert as the front-runner for the No. 3 job.

The 49ers can also be expected to add a player or two in free agency, as well as the draft, to provide a competitive environment in the offseason. The 49ers seemed to telegraph their intention with Reid when they moved him to linebacker with Ward and Tartt remaining as the starting safeties.

That position change lasted about a week, as Ward’s injury prompted the team to move Reid back to safety. Reid is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. It's entirely possible there will not be a big market for him, but I do not believe the 49ers are going to be ultra-competitive in retaining him on the open market.