49ers

Steelers' Harrison will not play vs. 49ers

611386.jpg

Steelers' Harrison will not play vs. 49ers

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be without intimidating sack artist James Harrison when they come to town for their Monday night game against the 49ers.The NFL's ruling of a one-game suspension for Harrison was upheld after Harrison appealed, the league announced Friday morning.The appeal was heard Wednesday by former NFL assistant coach Ted Cottrell, a finalist for the 49ers head-coaching position in 2003. Cottrell and Art Shell, the officers jointly appointed and compensated by the NFL and NFLPA to decide appeals of on-field player discipline, are assigned appeals on a rotating basis.
Harrison, an eight-year veteran, is second on the Steelers with eight sacks. Since 2008, Harrison has recorded 44.5 sacks.He has also been disciplined five times for illegal hits on quarterbacks the past three seasons, according to the NFL. Harrison was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy in the Steelers' game last week, resulting in the one-game suspension without pay.REWIND: Harrison says hit on McCoy not worthy of fine
Harrison may not practice this week or be at the Steelers practice facility or stadium for any other activities during the suspension. He will be reinstated on December 20.The Steelers played four games without Harrison earlier this season after he underwent surgery to repair a fractured orbital socket. The Steelers went 4-0 in those games. Coach Mike Tomlin, speaking earlier this week to reporters who cover the 49ers, said the Steelers' defense does not change without Harrison on the field.RELATED: Q&A with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin
"Schematically, of course, it won't look very different at all," Tomlin said. "Of course, this isn't the first time we played without James. And this isn't even the first time we played without James this year. Obviously, James is a good player and provides special plays for us, but ultimately the standard will remain the same, and we have some guys who are capable of doing the job and playing to the standard."

Report: Stubblefield taken into custody, booked into jail in no-bail case

stubblefield-mugshot-santaclaracosheriffoffice.jpg
Santa Clara Sheriff Office

Report: Stubblefield taken into custody, booked into jail in no-bail case

Former 49ers defensive lineman Dana Stubblefield is behind bars. 

According to the Mercury News, Stubblefield was led away from court to jail in handcuffs Friday after a judge found there was probable cause to hold him over for trial on charges of rape stemming from May 2016. 

Stubblefield is charged with raping an intellectually disabled woman on April 9, 2015 at his Morgan Hill home when she had gone to interview for a babysitting job. 

According to the same report, Stubblefield had been free on $250,000 bail for more than a year. But the judge ordered him taken into custody Friday after prosecutors formally added the allegation that Stubblefield used a gun during the assault, which made it a no-bail case.

Stubblefield has pleaded not guilty and publicly denied the five felony charges and gun enhancement that prosecutors say could lead to at least 15 years to life in prison if he is convicted.

Stubblefield played 11 seasons in the NFL, including the first five with the 49ers. He later returned to the 49ers in 2001 and ’02, before finishing his career with the Raiders.

Stubblefield, a first-round pick of the 49ers in 1993, was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year after recording 10.5 sacks. He was named the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year with a career-high 15 sacks in 1997. He signed a lucrative contract with Washington in 1998.
 

Drafted by Baalke with injury, former 49ers WR signs with Colts

smelter-us.jpg
USATSI

Drafted by Baalke with injury, former 49ers WR signs with Colts

The 49ers recently re-signed eight of the 10 players who finished the season on the team’s practice squad.

Wide receiver DeAndre Smelter, who was not among the first wave of 49ers signings to 2018 contracts, signed Wednesday with the Indianapolis Colts, ending his three-season association with the organization.

Smelter was one of general manager Trent Baalke’s redshirt draft picks. The team selected him in the fourth round of the 2015 draft despite a torn ACL that ended his final season at Georgia Tech.

Smelter spent his first season on an injured list. He was waived at the beginning of the past two seasons, finishing both years on the 49ers’ practice squad. Smelter appeared in two games in 2016 and caught one pass for 23 yards.

Last season, the 49ers signed wide receivers Louis Murphy and Max McCaffrey to spots on the 53-man roster instead of Smelter, who remained on the practice squad.

Wide receiver DeAndre Carter, who also spent the entire season on the practice squad, was signed recently to the team’s 90-man roster.

Others who finished the season on the 49ers practice squad to remain on the team’s offseason roster are: quarterback Nick Mullens, tight end Cole Wick, offensive linemen Andrew Lauderdale and Pace Murphy, linebacker Boseko Lokombo, and defensive backs Trovon Reed and Channing Stribling.

The 49ers also signed fullback Malcolm Johnson, who spent last season on injured reserve with the Seattle Seahawks. Johnson appeared in 19 games over the 2015 and ’16 seasons with the Cleveland Browns. He was a sixth-round draft pick in ’15.

Offensive linemen Cameron Hunt, who finished the season on the 49ers’ practice squad, remains unsigned. Guard JP Flynn is also unsigned. He sustained a torn patellar tendon in November and underwent surgery that was expected to keep him out up to nine months.