March 29, 2011
Bay Area boxing sensation Nonito Donaire was dealt a setback outside of the ring Tuesday.
An arbiter ruled that Donaire's recently signed promotional agreement with Oscar De la Hoya's Golden Boy group violated an agreement between that promoter and Top Rank, who previously represented Donaire, the WBCWBO bantamweight champion.
Top Rank's position is that its three-year contract runs into 2012 with a one-year option that extends it to June 2013.
The dispute centers around the fact that Donaire, who trains in San Carlos' Undisputed Gym, was injured during his contract with Top Rank -- which, according to that organization, means his contract term remains unfulfilled. That time clause is common in many fighters contracts.
In his latest bout, Donaire knocked out 118-pound champion Fernando Montiel with a lethal left hook in February. He is currently ranked No. 4 in Ring Magazine's pound-for-pound list.
In a report by Yahoo! Sports, Top Rank lawyer Daniel Petrocelli stated the following about the Golden Boy Promotions-Top Rank dispute:
"We had arbitration pursuant to an agreement that exists currently between Top Rank and Golden Boy that various disputes must be arbitrated in front of the honorable Daniel Weinstein," Petrocelli said. "He heard our petition that Golden Boy had violated an agreement between Top Rank and Golden Boy in signing Donaire to a promotional agreement, even though Donaire was still under contract with Top Rank."
"The judge agreed that Golden Boy had violated the agreement and issued an order that Golden Boy is enjoined, restrained, from purporting to promote Donaire at this time. They cannot proceed under that contract at this time."
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer declined comment when contacted by Yahoo! Sports.
In the real world, the President of the United States Donald Trump started a Twitter feud with LaVar Ball on Sunday.
Trump believes he should have left three college athletes, including Ball's son LiAngelo, in a Chinese jail for shoplifting. In return, Warriors head coach Steve Kerr wants the two to simply stop talking.
"It would be nice for all of us if both of them would just be quiet," Kerr said to reporters at the Barclays Center. "Wouldn't that be great?"
"Modern life. Two people seeking attention and are both getting it, so I'm sure both guys are really happy," Kerr initially said when first asked about the two.
Unprompted, Kerr then asked reporters for a request to help us all.
"You know what would help, if all of you stopped covering both of them," Kerr pleaded. "Is that possible? You can probably stop covering LaVar. I don't think you can stop covering the President. I don't think that'll work."
In the span of about 16 days, David Lee has made a lot of changes to his life.
On Nov. 3, he announced that he got engaged to tennis star Caroline Wozniacki.
On Sunday, the former Warriors All-Star forward announced his retirement from the NBA with a post on Instagram.
"An epic night celebrating my retirement with my friends and family! Thank you to my amazing fiancée @carowozniacki for planning the surprise!" Lee wrote as the caption for a photo of him with all his friends.
Former teammates Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson were among those that "Liked" the posted. Curry even left a comment.
"They'll still always have trouble with the pitch and follow man Man! Congrats," Curry wrote.
Acquired in July of 2009 from the Knicks, Lee played five seasons with the Warriors. During his time in Oakland, he averaged 16.7 points and 9.6 rebounds.
Lee was named to the Western Conference All-Star team during the 2012-13 season. He averaged 18.5 points and 11.2 rebounds per game that season.
The 34-year-old capped off his tenure with the Warriors by winning an NBA championship in 2015. After the playoff run, the Warriors traded Lee to Boston. He spent last season with the Spurs and appeared in 79 games.