Warriors

Former Athletic Milton Bradley cut by Mariners

151389.jpg

Former Athletic Milton Bradley cut by Mariners

May 9, 2011A'S PAGE A'SVIDEO

SEATTLE (APCSN) Slumping Milton Bradley, who played for the Oakland A's in 2006 and 2007, was cut by the Seattle Mariners on Monday, leaving the temperamental outfielder again looking for a new job.
The Mariners designated Bradley for assignment, giving them 10 days to trade, release or send him to the minors. He was making 12 million this season."The situation with Milton is that we determined he's not part of our future and not part of our present," Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said.The 33-year-old Bradley hit .218 with two homers and 13 RBIs in 28 games. He was suspended for one game last week for bumping an umpire, ejected Friday for arguing a called third strike and booed by home fans over the weekend for the perception he was dogging on defense."It was not a particular incident," Zduriencik said. "It's just an issue with our evaluations of where we are and where we are going, and our estimates were that he did not fit. That's why the decision was made."Asked if Bradley had a negative impact on the clubhouse, Zduriencik said: "That's hard to say. I don't know that. I think it gets down more to what we're trying to accomplish and where we're headed."Bradley is a career .271 hitter with 125 home runs since starting with Montreal in 2000. He has played for eight teams in the majors, including five clubs in the last five seasons.The Mariners also cut utilityman Ryan Langerhans. He hit .171 with three home runs and six RBIs in 19 games.Seattle called up outfielders Carlos Peguero and Mike Wilson from Triple-A Tacoma. Peguero played five games for the Mariners last month and Wilson will be making his big league debut.Bradley got two hits Sunday in the Mariners' 10-inning loss to the Chicago White Sox. The defeat left Seattle at 16-19.Bradley came to Seattle on Dec. 18, 2009, from the Chicago Cubs for pitcher Carlos Silva. Bradley publicly blamed Chicago's fans and media for running him out of town.The former All-Star hit .205 with eight home runs and 29 RBIs in 73 games for the Mariners last year. He was sidelined for the season on Aug. 17 because of knee surgery.Bradley missed time in midseason to undergo counseling after asking the club to help him deal with personal matters. He is finishing up a 30 million, three-year contract this season.Zduriencik said he didn't necessarily regard the trade as a failure, especially since the Cubs released the high-priced Silva this spring."It was a situation where we looked the clubs' needs," he said. "It was a situation where we did not think Carlos was part of our future and obviously in Chicago (Milton) was not part of their future. We basically traded contract for contract and hoped it worked out for both clubs."We were in pursuit of bat and really hoped it worked out. At one time he was a very productive player," he added. "Do I think he can help a team? I think he can and hope he gets that opportunity."As for Langerhans, "we liked his defense and the fact he plays multiple positions," Zduriencik said. "But at the end of the day we needed a little more production."Peguero and Wilson will join the Mariners on Tuesday in Baltimore.The 24-year-old Peguero was recalled by Seattle on April 19 when Justin Smoak was put on the bereavement list. He made three starts in left field and hit .182. Peguero was hitting .282 with four home runs and 13 RBIs at Tacoma.The 27-year-old Wilson was the Mariners' second-round pick in the June 2001 draft. He was hitting .381 with four homers and 14 RBIs at Tacoma."Wilson has been here a long time. He has had the opportunity to leave because of different scenarios," Zduriencik said. "But he likes this organization. He has terrific power. He's had a nice start down there. He's a hard worker, he's paid his dues and he's got power from the right side. It's the right place at the right time for Michael."

Two Warriors named All-Star Game starters

steph-kd-us.jpg
USATSI

Two Warriors named All-Star Game starters

After sending four players to the NBA All-Star Game last season in New Orleans, the Warriors are halfway to repeating the feat this season.

Point guard Stephen Curry and small forward Kevin Durant were voted in as Western Conference starters for the game scheduled for Feb. 18 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, the NBA announced on Thursday.

Though Curry has missed 15 games -- nearly one-third of the season -- it has not hurt his popularity; His No. 30 is the NBA’s best-selling jersey for the third straight season. He is averaging team-leading 27.7 points, 6.5 assists and 5.3 rebounds, and 1.65 steals per game.

Curry is the first member of the Warriors to be named a starter for five consecutive All-Star games. As the player with the most fan votes, Curry becomes a captain and is in position to select the members of his team.

Durant, who has missed eight games this season, was named as a starter for the sixth time, the first four coming when he was a member of the Thunder.

Durant is averaging 26.2 points (fifth in the league) 6.9 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.05 blocks (fourth in the league) per game.

WNBA All-Star sues Cal over alleged sexual assault

cal-ap.jpg
AP

WNBA All-Star sues Cal over alleged sexual assault

BERKELEY — Former California women’s basketball player and current WNBA All-Star guard Layshia Clarendon has filed a lawsuit against Cal claiming she was sexually assaulted by a longtime member of the athletic department.

The school acknowledged the lawsuit Wednesday night and said the staff member, Mohamed Muqtar, had recently been placed on paid leave. The assistant director of student services, Muqtar has been working for the university for just more than 25 years, the school said. An e-mail to Muqtar’s Cal email account was not immediately returned.

Cal said in a statement “the University is aware of the complaint, but has not received a copy of the lawsuit nor had the benefit of reviewing the allegations.”

Clarendon, who plays for the Atlanta Dream and was at Cal from 2009-13, posted on Twitter her thoughts about the lawsuit.

She said in three separate tweets:

— “Regarding the news today: I want the shame to not be my own anymore, because it’s not my shame to carry, but it’s something that I’ve had to carry. It’s a horrible thing to live in silence, to carry that pain and that weight and the guilt.”

— “My biggest hope is that he never does this to anyone else. That no one else has to suffer under his hand, or him violating their bodies again. That this would be the end of him assaulting people. #TimesUp.”

— “It feels there is a big level of responsibility there for me, to make sure this doesn’t continue. And he doesn’t continue to harm other people.”

Cal explained in its statement that this case goes beyond the athletic department for investigation.

The statement reads: “Our department policy states that once anyone in Cal Athletics is made aware of any instance or allegation of a violation of University policy involving a coach, staff member or student-athlete, those matters are referred to the appropriate departments on campus responsible for investigating them. Athletics does not have its own specific conduct process nor does it investigate allegations or cases on its own, but follows the University’s policy and works in concert with campus professionals who are responsible for those areas. All university staff are also required to complete sexual harassment and sexual violence prevention training, and those programs have increased in recent years. Cal Athletics is and will always be committed to fostering a culture where everyone feels safe, welcome and respected. We encourage anyone who is feeling distressed or troubled to contact the PATH to Care Center and other campus resources.

“Layshia holds a special place in our history for her contributions to Cal women’s basketball both on and off the court and we are saddened to hear of the allegations that are coming to light today.”