Giants

Could third base be in Buster Posey's future?

897373.jpg

Could third base be in Buster Posey's future?

LOS ANGELES Giants manager Bruce Bochy made an interestingcomment when discussing Buster Poseys athleticism and his above average defense at first base despite little experience.

I think he could play third, Bochy said. Thats howathletic I think he is.

File away that thought. Its not the first time Ive heardit, either. Bochy isnt alone among scouts and baseball officials, some within the Giants organization, who believePosey would have enough range, reaction skills and certainly enough armstrength to be a solid third baseman. That might be a handy option to keep inmind in future seasons if fitness remains an issue for Pablo Sandoval.

But thats a discussion to pick up again at the wintermeetings. For now, the important information is this: The crick in the neckthat Posey felt in the eighth inning Monday night wasnt serious enough to keephim out of Tuesdays lineup.

Posey is batting cleanup and playing first base against theLos Angeles Dodgers.

Bochy said he planned to watch Poseycarefully in batting practice, and if his cleanup hitter felt anything, theteam would scratch him. So far, so good.

Posey felt a twinge Monday night when he hit the first basebag while making a safe call with his arms. So perhaps his days providinghelpful pantomime to umpires are at an end.

Bochy didnt say it outright, but he made it sound as if Posey originally would have caught Barry Zito a signthat they would form a battery in a potential playoff start. Hector Sanchez hasbeen Zitos personal catcher for most of the season.

Zito and Posey, sure, no problem, Bochy said. And if Ifeel its necessary, hell catch Timmy (Lincecum).

The manager quickly followed by saying that Hector Sanchez morethan likely would catch Lincecum, though.

Bochy dropped one other hint about his postseason rotation,saying Zito wouldnt be on the same 75-pitch limit that the club imposed on Matt Cain a nightearlier. Cain will start Game 1 on Saturday on regular rest. The fact Zito wontbe limited in his final regular-season start suggests strongly that he would not bethe choice to start Game 2 on Sunday.

Bochy still isnt ready to announce the Game 2 starter, butthe expectation is that itll be Madison Bumgarner followed by Lincecum in Game3. If the Giants face elimination entering Game 4, the Giants could bring backCain on short rest. Or they could hand the ball to Zito. That would leave RyanVogelsong, who has more relief experience, as the choice to back up bothLincecum and Zito (even Cain, too) if they get into early trouble. With Lincecum and Zito especially, you can usually tell within the first dozen pitches whether they're on or not.

Beede, Garcia among Giants protected from Rule 5 draft

tyler-beede-ap.jpg
AP

Beede, Garcia among Giants protected from Rule 5 draft

SAN FRANCISCO — A top pitching prospect highlighted the list of Giants added to the 40-man roster before Monday’s deadline. 

The Giants put right-hander Tyler Beede on their 40-man roster, along with Aramis Garcia, Tyler Herb and D.J. Snelten. The four players were protected from the Rule 5 draft, held in December on the final day of the annual Winter Meetings. To clear roster spots, the Giants designated Orlando Calixte and Micah Johnson for assignment and outrighted Dan Slania to Triple-A. 

Beede, a 24-year-old former first-round pick, likely would have ended up on the roster earlier if not for a groin injury that ended his Triple-A season early. The Giants anticipated him making a September debut, but he ended up needing time in the Arizona Fall League to make up for lost innings. Beede was sharp in the AFL once he knocked the rust off, allowing three runs over 10 innings in his final two starts. He is expected to compete for a rotation spot at some point next year, although he also stands as one of the organization’s best offseason trade chips. 

Garcia, 24, has struggled with injuries at times in the minors, but he hit 17 homers in just 402 at-bats in 2017 and earned a promotion to Double-A Richmond. Garcia is currently one of just two catchers on the 40-man roster. 

Herb was essentially the player to be named later in the Chris Heston deal. The 25-year-old had a 2.76 ERA in 10 starts for Double-A Richmond last season. Snelten is a lefty reliever who had a 2.20 ERA across two levels last season and could break into the big leagues as a bullpen weapon next year. 

The roster now stands at 40 after the churn, which included a couple of players picked up as flyers because the Giants are at the front of the waiver process. Johnson was added in October and infielder Engelb Vielma, added during the season, was claimed by the Phillies on a  waiver claim. Slania, who made his big league debut during the season, cleared waivers and joins Triple-A Sacramento’s offseason roster. 

Report: Giants discussed Panik, top prospects in potential Stanton trade

panik-joe-gordon-dee.jpg
AP

Report: Giants discussed Panik, top prospects in potential Stanton trade

On Monday morning, some important details emerged.

The Giants discussed Joe Panik and top prospects Tyler Beede and Chris Shaw with the Marlins in a potential trade for Giancarlo Stanton, according to sports radio host Craig Mish.

Last week, San Francisco reportedly made an actual offer for Stanton.

The Giants selected Beede, 24, in the first round (14th overall) of the 2014 draft.

The right-handed pitcher went 6-7 with a 4.79 ERA over 19 starts in Triple-A last season.

[RELATED: Healthy Tyler Beede shows why he's Giants' top pitching prospect]

The Orange and Black took Shaw, 24, in the first round (31st overall) of the 2015 draft.

In 37 games for Double-A Richmond in 2017, he hit .301 with six home runs and 29 RBI.

He was promoted to Triple-A and hit .289 with 18 home runs and 50 RBI in 88 games.

Shaw recently played in the Arizona Fall League, but only saw action in five games because of a sore shoulder.