Giants

Giants formally announce retirement of Neukom

538373.jpg

Giants formally announce retirement of Neukom

Sept. 15, 2011
URBAN ARCHIVEGIANTS PAGE GIANTS VIDEO

Mychael Urban
CSNBayArea.com staff

SAN FRANCISCO -- In a press conference that felt far more like a celebratory passing of the torch than a rehashing of the reportedly contentious events that led to it, outgoing Giants managing general partner Bill Neukom and incoming CEO Larry Baer insisted that it would be "business as usual" for the 2010 World Series champions.

The announcement of Neukom's pending departure followed Wednesday's San Jose Mercury News report that there was unrest in the ownership group over his leadership. Neukom admitted in his opening remarks that the release of the story advanced the club's internal year-end timetable for him stepping down. He described Thursday's gathering as "impromptu."

Neukom neither admitted nor denied reports of communication issues with the other owners, describing their dialogue over his three-year tenure as "robust."

Asked if he was forced out, Neukom said, "I don't think that's the right characterization at all."

Baer said he will assume Neukoms duties as CEO -- but not as managing general partner -- effective Jan. 1, 2012. Neukom will serve as chairman emeritus through 2012.

"We had hoped to make this announcement after our baseball season ended in order to minimize any distractions for the baseball team or for the fans or for the front office," Neukom said in his opening remarks. "... The good news is I will be succeeded by Larry Baer, who has been the cornerstone of this franchise for 20 years."

Asked about his dealing with the other investors, the 69-year-old former Microsoft lawyer said, "my relationship with the other investors, from my standpoint, is positive," adding that "there was no precipitating event that I'm aware of."

Neukom, who took over the primary ownership position from Peter Magowan in October 2008, said he will be divesting his ownership shares back to the ownership group, but will remain a season ticket-holder and be available for consultation "in every sense."
Neukom spoke of growing up in San Mateo and playing baseball in the street as a young fan of the Giants. He highlighted his father's purchase for him of 10 shares of Giants stock in 1958, adding that he wished he still had the stock certificate.

Baer indicated his gratitude and respect for Neukom's contributions, highlighted by last season's World Series victory over the Texas Rangers.

"First and foremost we achieved a world championship last year under Bill's leadership and we will never forget that," Baer said.

During the press conference Neukom laid out the goals he established after taking the owership lead in 2008. This included providing winning baseball for the fan base, increasing attendance, increasing the value of the Giants enterprise as a whole, and to "win it all."

"We managed to achieve this," Neukom said. "And I'm obviously very proud of that."

Neukom told the assembled media he plans to focus his attention on the World Justice Project, an initiative he founded in 2006 to strengthen the rule of law worldwide. He also plans to teach at Stanford Law School, his alma mater.

As for Baer, the focus remains unchanged.

"Going forward, this is business as usual. To put it simply, this is not a turnaround in any stretch of the imagination," Baer said, noting that in the soon-to-be 20 years under the current ownership group, the Giants are unique in having just three field managers, two general managers and now three CEOs.

"The perspective of winning is foremost, tantamount, always will be. We've had continuity around that concept since this group has owned the team."

Baer said that payroll would not be reduced and insisted the team would maintain its stance that it has territorial rights to San Jose.

Beede, Garcia among Giants protected from Rule 5 draft

tyler-beede-ap.jpg
AP

Beede, Garcia among Giants protected from Rule 5 draft

SAN FRANCISCO — A top pitching prospect highlighted the list of Giants added to the 40-man roster before Monday’s deadline. 

The Giants put right-hander Tyler Beede on their 40-man roster, along with Aramis Garcia, Tyler Herb and D.J. Snelten. The four players were protected from the Rule 5 draft, held in December on the final day of the annual Winter Meetings. To clear roster spots, the Giants designated Orlando Calixte and Micah Johnson for assignment and outrighted Dan Slania to Triple-A. 

Beede, a 24-year-old former first-round pick, likely would have ended up on the roster earlier if not for a groin injury that ended his Triple-A season early. The Giants anticipated him making a September debut, but he ended up needing time in the Arizona Fall League to make up for lost innings. Beede was sharp in the AFL once he knocked the rust off, allowing three runs over 10 innings in his final two starts. He is expected to compete for a rotation spot at some point next year, although he also stands as one of the organization’s best offseason trade chips. 

Garcia, 24, has struggled with injuries at times in the minors, but he hit 17 homers in just 402 at-bats in 2017 and earned a promotion to Double-A Richmond. Garcia is currently one of just two catchers on the 40-man roster. 

Herb was essentially the player to be named later in the Chris Heston deal. The 25-year-old had a 2.76 ERA in 10 starts for Double-A Richmond last season. Snelten is a lefty reliever who had a 2.20 ERA across two levels last season and could break into the big leagues as a bullpen weapon next year. 

The roster now stands at 40 after the churn, which included a couple of players picked up as flyers because the Giants are at the front of the waiver process. Johnson was added in October and infielder Engelb Vielma, added during the season, was claimed by the Phillies on a  waiver claim. Slania, who made his big league debut during the season, cleared waivers and joins Triple-A Sacramento’s offseason roster. 

Report: Giants discussed Panik, top prospects in potential Stanton trade

panik-joe-gordon-dee.jpg
AP

Report: Giants discussed Panik, top prospects in potential Stanton trade

On Monday morning, some important details emerged.

The Giants discussed Joe Panik and top prospects Tyler Beede and Chris Shaw with the Marlins in a potential trade for Giancarlo Stanton, according to sports radio host Craig Mish.

Last week, San Francisco reportedly made an actual offer for Stanton.

The Giants selected Beede, 24, in the first round (14th overall) of the 2014 draft.

The right-handed pitcher went 6-7 with a 4.79 ERA over 19 starts in Triple-A last season.

[RELATED: Healthy Tyler Beede shows why he's Giants' top pitching prospect]

The Orange and Black took Shaw, 24, in the first round (31st overall) of the 2015 draft.

In 37 games for Double-A Richmond in 2017, he hit .301 with six home runs and 29 RBI.

He was promoted to Triple-A and hit .289 with 18 home runs and 50 RBI in 88 games.

Shaw recently played in the Arizona Fall League, but only saw action in five games because of a sore shoulder.