Giants

Giants sign reliever Hernandez to minor league deal: 'Easy decision'

Giants sign reliever Hernandez to minor league deal: 'Easy decision'

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. --  A day after pitchers and catchers reported to Scottsdale Stadium, the Giants added one more option to the mix.

Veteran right-hander David Hernandez arrived Tuesday on a minor league deal. Hernandez will make $1.5 million if he's in the major leagues, per a source.

The 31-year-old made 70 appearances for the Phillies last season, posting a 3.74 ERA and 9.9 strikeouts per nine innings. He had previously spent five years with the Diamondbacks, finding plenty of late-innings success despite missing time with Tommy John. 

Hernandez has scattered 20 saves in his career, and while the Giants don't need another right-hander for the late innings, Hernandez could provide a veteran option for a young group. Derek Law and Hunter Strickland are expected to set up for Mark Melancon.

"We've been talking all winter (with him) about opportunities here," general manager Bobby Evans said. "He adds experience and overall stuff (and) he's now three years removed from Tommy John surgery. He has seven years of big league experience and we do have a young bullpen, so to speak. That's attractive to us."

Hernandez, who grew up and still lives in the Sacramento area, called signing with the Giants an "easy decision." He had held out hope that a major league deal might develop over the past week, but otherwise he was choosing among non-roster opportunities.

"Being from Sacramento, I grew up watching a lot of Giants games," he said. "It's always been one of my favorite places to play as a visiting player."

Former Giants infielder replaces Dodgers' star shortstop on NLCS roster

corey-us.jpg
USATSI

Former Giants infielder replaces Dodgers' star shortstop on NLCS roster

LOS ANGELES — Shortstop Corey Seager has been left off the Los Angeles Dodgers' roster for the NL Championship Series against the Chicago Cubs.

The Dodgers announced Seager's surprise omission due to a back injury on Saturday, several hours before Game 1 at Dodger Stadium.

Los Angeles also dropped reliever Pedro Baez from its roster. Infielder Charlie Culberson and outfielder Joc Pederson were added.

Chicago made only one change from the last playoff round, adding reliever Hector Rondon and removing reliever Justin Wilson.

Seager complained of back soreness during the Dodgers' NL Division Series clincher in Arizona on Monday, and 2016 NL Rookie of the Year didn't participate in team workouts this week. Still, manager Dave Roberts said Friday that he was very optimistic that Seager would play in the NLCS.

Seager was an All-Star selection this season while batting .295 with 22 homers and 77 RBIs as a key part of the top of the Dodgers' lineup.

Kike Hernandez, Chris Taylor and Culberson all worked out at shortstop Friday for the Dodgers. The versatile Taylor was the Dodgers' center fielder during the NLDS, but he made 96 appearances in the outfield this season and 44 in the infield, including 14 games at shortstop.

Pederson is batting .071 with no homers since July, but the Dodgers could need him in center field if Taylor plays shortstop.

Culberson famously homered to clinch the Dodgers' NL West title in announcer Vin Scully's final home game last season, but the infielder spent most of this season at Triple-A, appearing in only 14 games for the Dodgers.

Rondon was the Cubs' closer in 2014 and 2015, but moved to a setup role last season after Aroldis Chapman's arrival. He appeared in 61 regular-season games this year, going 4-1 with a 4.24 ERA in an up-and-down campaign.

Chicago acquired Wilson in a trade with Detroit on July 31, adding a veteran left-handed reliever who had 13 saves for the Tigers this season. The Southern California native wasn't great in his two months with the Cubs, posting a 5.09 ERA with 19 walks in 23 appearances.

Manager Joe Maddon chose Wilson for the NLDS over Rondon, only to switch it up against the Dodgers.

Bochy, Giants issue statement following manager's heart procedure

bochy-bruce-ecu.jpg
AP

Bochy, Giants issue statement following manager's heart procedure

Bruce Bochy's minor offseason heart procedure went as planned, the team announced Friday afternoon. 

In a message passed along to beat reporters, Bochy said "the procedure went extremely well and I'm feeling better. I'm grateful for the doctors and want to thank everyone who has reached out with well wishes."

Bochy, 62, had an ablation procedure to help him deal with heart issues that have plagued him in recent years. The operation was his second of the year, but it was considered minor enough that it could be pushed back to the end of the season.

Cleveland's Terry Francona had a similar procedure this year and returned to manage, and Bochy has left no doubt about his future. 

“I don’t want anyone to think this has an effect on my work, or ability to work,” Bochy said last week. “This is something that is not uncommon.”