Home Page

49ers part ways with Elvis Dumervil

elvis-us.jpg
USATSI

49ers part ways with Elvis Dumervil

The 49ers on Friday informed veteran pass-rusher Elvis Dumervil the club will not pick up the 2018 option on his contract, the club announced.

“I want to thank Elvis for everything he contributed to our team last year both on the field and throughout our building,” 49ers general manager John Lynch said in a statement.

“Not only did he bring a great deal of veteran leadership to our locker room at a time of significant change, but he provided a spark to our defense. Although Elvis isn’t in our current plans, we would never close the door on a potential return in the future. As a long-time friend, I wish him and his family well.”

Dumervil was scheduled to earn $2.75 million in base salary with another $750,000 in roster bonuses. Dumervil led the 49ers with 6.5 sacks last season, but it was not certain he would make the team this year. Additionally, Dumervil does not play special teams.

Dumervil, 34, who broke into the NFL in 2006 with the Denver Broncos, has 105.5 career sacks in his career, which included four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

The 49ers picked up the 2018 the $1.05 million option on outside linebacker Dekoda Watson. He can also make $250,000 in roster and workout bonuses. Watson is one of the 49ers’ core special-teams players.

The 49ers tendered running back Raheem Mostert a one-year contract as an exclusive-rights free agent. Mostert, a three-year veteran, was the team’s top special teams player before sustaining a knee injury and going on injured reserve in late-November. He carried six times for 30 yards in 11 games last season.

Building Raiders roster a 'team effort' for Gruden, McKenzie

gruden-mckenzie-ap.jpg
AP

Building Raiders roster a 'team effort' for Gruden, McKenzie

ORLANDO, Fla. – Raiders head coach Jon Gruden is a popular guy, widely respected among players and in NFL circles. The same can be said for his coordinators and many position coaches.

General manager Reggie McKenzie understands that. He used those assets to help recruit free agents to Oakland.

He also remains in close communication with those designing new Raiders schemes. Jon Gruden’s in charge of the offense, while coordinator Paul Guenther will install a new defense.

McKenzie is focused on getting guys they want, guys who will fit well within new schemes.

“One thing about Gruden is that I know exactly what he wants, which is great for me,” McKenzie said Monday in a meeting with Raiders beat writers at the NFL owners meetings. “I know exactly what is needed for his (offensive) system. It’s the same with (defensive coordinator Paul Guenther). I know exactly what kind of players they want at each position. That makes my job a lot easier, instead of trying to figure out what works best."

Raiders owner Mark Davis told NBC Sports Bay Area on Sunday that McKenzie plays a different role with Gruden in the mix, and that the head coach’s vision for the team is most important.

“That vision, and that direction is going to be helpful to Reggie more so than not,” Davis said. “I think they’ll work together very well.”

McKenzie agrees. He praised the level of communication with Gruden and his assistants and believes they executed an aggressive free-agency plan well working together.

“The communication is constant, and I’m not just talking about Coach Gruden,” McKenzie said. “I’m talking about the entire staff. It’s well-received.”

The Raiders signed 20 guys in free agency, with 16 new faces and four returners thus far, at least after Reggie Nelson’s deal becomes official in the coming days. McKenzie used the coaching staff to help close deals, and get guys they coveted.

“It’s a team effort, I’m telling you,” McKenzie said. “The good part about it, is that players want to come. Players want to be coached by our guys. When we can get coaches heavily involved in communicating with those guys and when we get those guys in the building, our coaches did a great job recruiting those (free-agent signings).”

Steph Curry's 30th birthday party was so epic that the Warriors cancelled Tuesday's practice

draysteph-druant.jpg
Kevin Durant/Instagram

Steph Curry's 30th birthday party was so epic that the Warriors cancelled Tuesday's practice

Steph Curry turns 30 years old on Wednesday, but with the Warriors playing the Lakers, his friends and family decided to hold the party for him on Monday night.

Most of Curry's Warriors teammates attended the bash. Things must have gone late into the night because the team cancelled the planned practice for 11am on Tuesday.

Special guests included E-40, Paramore  and Lecrae. Curry himself took a turn on the mic and belted out a few bars.

Based on the videos from the party, it appears Curry may have gotten a small yacht for a present.

Don't feel bad that you weren't invited. There were enough videos posted on Instagram Stories by Steph, his wife Ayesha, his sister Sydel, his brother Seth and E-40, among others. Check out some of the best here: