Instant Replay: Heartbreaking loss to Jazz in OT extends Kings' losing streak

Instant Replay: Heartbreaking loss to Jazz in OT extends Kings' losing streak


SACRAMENTO -- Pass, cut, screen, find the open man, hit the shot. It’s Basketball 101 and the Sacramento Kings put on a clinic Sunday afternoon at Golden 1 Center until the final minutes of the game.

The Utah Jazz looked stunned from the get-go, but they never gave in. In the end, Utah got the call of the game on a reviewed buzzer beating putback by Rudy Gobert to come away with the shocking 110-109 victory in overtime.

Sacramento gave Rodney Hood an inch of space and he found ways to hurt them. The sharpshooting wing dropped in a game-high 28 points on 10-for-17 shooting, including four makes from behind the arc.

All-Star Gordon Hayward managed 23 points, including a huge 3-ball in the final 11 seconds, but the Kings held him to just 6-of-20 from the field.  

Gobert added 16 points, 24 rebounds and three blocks, while George Hill posted 15 points, eight assists and five rebounds.

Darren Collison woke from his slumber. Since the big trade, Collison had scored just 11.5 points per game. On Sunday afternoon, he attacked the Jazz guards, finishing with 18 points and five assists.

With Collison getting loose, the passing lanes opened for Ty Lawson to exploit. The pint-sized point hit the Jazz for 19 points and five assists.

Arron Afflalo put up his second straight solid game for coach Dave Joerger. After missing three straight with a stiff hamstring, the veteran shooting guard dropped in 17 points on 6-for-12 shooting.

After missing the previous 12 games with a hamstring tear, Garrett Temple played well in his return. Temple played his standard high-end defense and added 11 points, four assists and three steals in 24 minutes off the bench.

Willie Cauley-Stein stuffed the stat sheet, finishing the night with 15 points, nine rebounds and three assists. Rookie Buddy Hield came out firing, scoring 10 points in 18 minutes of action off the bench, but he turned the ball over five times. Kosta Koufos chipped in 12 points and 10 rebounds before fouling out in the overtime session.


Gobert made the shot of the game as time expired to get the win. His rebounding was incredible all night long.


The Kings held the lead for most of the game, but Utah kept chipping away late. Hill missed a shot with just ticks on the clock and Gobert stuffed it home for the win as time expired in the overtime session.


Garrett Temple returned to action after missing 12 games with a left hamstring tear. Rookie Malachi Richardson is out 4-6 weeks with a right hamstring thickness tear, but hopes to return before the season is finished. Rudy Gay is out for the year with a torn left Achilles.


The Kings hit the road following the game against Utah, traveling to Denver where the Nuggets are waiting for them on the second night of a back-to-back. Following the game in Denver, the Kings make their way to San Antonio to face the red hot Spurs.

Report: Former Kings star offers to pay for Stephon Clark's funeral

Report: Former Kings star offers to pay for Stephon Clark's funeral

Former Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins reportedly reached out to Stephon Clark's family and offered to cover the cost of his a funeral, according to The Sacramento Bee's Jason Jones

Sacramento police shot and killed Clark, a 22-year-old African-American father of two, on Sunday while he was holding a cellphone in the backyard of his grandmother's home. Clark was unarmed. 

During his six-and-a-half year tenure in Sacramento, Cousins was not only the face of the Kings on the court, but the face of outreach efforts off of it. He paid for the funeral of Sacramento-area high school football player Jaulon "JJ" Clavo, who was shot in 2015, and ran free children's basketball camps for the city's children during the summer.

He continued to run a camp last summer following a midseason trade to the New Orleans Pelicans, and has spoken at length about how much he treasures maintaining strong ties to Sacramento. He told The Sacramento Bee last February that he "still consider[s Sacramento] a home."

“It’s very important to me,” Cousins told The New Orleans Advocate in October. “I’ve built relationships in a lot of the different places I’ve been. My biggest thing is helping those kids and helping families in need. I was once in their position, and it would’ve done wonders if I could’ve had a little bit of help coming up. I’m just doing my part.”

Bodycam footage from the officer-involved shooting was released on Wednesday, setting off protests on Thursday. Protestors blocked traffic on Interstate 5 both ways, according to NPR, before locking arms and surrounding the Golden 1 Center ahead of Hawks-Kings that night. Those protests delayed the start of the game by 15 minutes, and an estimated 15,000 fans were unable to enter the arena. 

Kings find themselves in middle of protest as sports, politics collide: 'It has to stop'

Kings find themselves in middle of protest as sports, politics collide: 'It has to stop'

SACRAMENTO -- Basketball took a backseat Thursday evening at Golden 1 Center. Protesters surrounded the Sacramento Kings’ facility, locking arms and blocking the entrance to an estimated 15,000 fans. The game was delayed by nearly 15 minutes and the limited number of ticket holders that made it into the building were basically put on lock down and supplied with free food for the evening.

This issue at hand was the officer involved shooting death of Stephon Clark, a local South Sacramento man that was killed Sunday evening.

Video of the shooting was released by the Sacramento Police Department Wednesday afternoon, setting off community outcry in Sacramento.

In perhaps his finest moment as owner and chairman of the Sacramento Kings, Vivek Ranadivé took center court surrounded by his players to address the undersized crowd.

“On Sunday, we had a horrific, horrific tragedy in our community and on behalf of the players, the executives, ownership and the entire Kings family, I first of all want to express our deepest sympathies to the family. What happened was absolutely horrific and we are so very sorry for your loss.

I also want to say that we at the Kings recognize your people’s ability to protest peacefully and we respect that. We here at the Kings recognize that we have a big platform. It’s a privilege, but it’s also a responsibility. It’s a responsibility that we take very seriously and we stand before you; old, young, black, white, brown and we are all united in our commitment.

We recognize that it’s not just business as usual and we are going to work really hard to bring everybody together to make the world a better place, starting in our own community. We are going to work hard to prevent this kind of tragedy from happening again.”

Protests continued throughout the night in the courtyard adjacent to Golden 1 Center. Security and police stood guard at each entrance, trying to keep the events outside the building from spilling into the team’s two-year-old facility.

The locker room was quiet. Despite the 105-90 victory by the Kings, basketball was the last thing on anyone’s mind.

"I just want to say I 100 percent agree with the protest outside,” Garrett Temple said following the game. “If I didn't have a job to do, I probably would have been out there with them peacefully protesting, because what's going on has to stop. It has to stop.”

Sacramento’s leader behind the scenes, Temple has been active in reaching out in the community and fostering conversation with local youth. He wasn’t able to play in Thursday evening’s game due to a left ankle sprain, but that didn’t stop him from waiting around to field questions.

“I think the protest did what it was supposed to do, it brought a light to what’s going on, I think that’s what protests are for,” Temple added. “After that, something has to change. Us not playing a basketball game isn’t going to change the fact that police unfortunately view black and brown men as a threat, when they are certainly not.”

Temple said that he had viewed the video and admitted that it was dark. A split second decision by a police officer cost Clark, a 22-year-old African American, his life. According to published reports, Clark was holding his mobile phone and not a weapon as officers believed.

The tragic events played out in seconds, but it’s storyline that many communities around the country have had to face on countless occasions.

Temple isn’t one to sit by idly by and bite his tongue. He may have addressed the shooting on his own with or without the protest going on outside the arena. But with the events of the night, politics and sports intersected at 500 David J. Stern Walk, opening a door for Temple to express himself.

“To those that say politics and sports don’t intertwine, this is a democracy, people have a voice and we’re people at the end of the day,” Temple said. “Obviously, sports and politics definitely intertwined tonight. The protesters did what they wanted to do in terms of bring light to the situation.”

In addition to Ranadivé’s comments following then contest, the Kings put out two separate press releases. The first came out around 7 pm to update fans of the current status of the game.

"Tonight's game began with a delay. Due to law enforcement being unable to ensure ticketed fans could safely enter the arena, the arena remains closed and we ask fans outside to travel home. We will issue further information soon regarding a refund."

The second press release came later to insure fans that they would receive a refund.

“Due to law enforcement being unable to ensure ticketed fans could safely enter the arena, the arena remained closed as tonight’s game proceeded with a delay. In the coming days, guests who purchased tickets for tonight’s game directly through the Sacramento Kings or Ticketmaster will receive detailed instructions to facilitate a full refund.”

The Kings return to the court Sunday afternoon for a 3pm matinee game.