Raiders

NBA players, owners negotiate for 16 hours

507977.jpg

NBA players, owners negotiate for 16 hours

From Comcast SportsNet
NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA owners and players are meeting for a second straight day, shortly after finishing a 16-hour marathon with a federal mediator. The sides resumed talks about 10 a.m. Wednesday, about eight hours after they broke for the night. No bargaining had been expected Wednesday or Thursday, since the owners have board meetings schedules. But instead their labor relations committee came back for further discussions with the players' association executive committee. Neither side commented on Tuesday's talks at the request of mediator George Cohen. Commissioner David Stern wanted a deal to bring to his owners this week, otherwise he warned more games may be canceled. Already the first two weeks of the season -- exactly 100 games -- have been lost. With the sides unable to make any real headway in recent weeks on the two main issues that divide them, they welcomed the presence of Cohen, who also spent 16 days trying to resolve the NFL's labor dispute in February and March. Their first day with him produced a bargaining session that was more than twice as long as any previous one since owners locked out players when the old collective bargaining agreement expired June 30. Although the fact that talks didn't break off was good news, one person with knowledge of the process said not to presume there was any serious progress. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of Cohen's request. Players believe owners' attempts to make the luxury tax more punitive and limit the use of spending exceptions will effectively create a hard salary cap, which they say they will refuse to accept. Also, each side has formally proposed receiving 53 percent of basketball-related income after players were guaranteed 57 percent under the previous collective bargaining agreement. Without a deal this week, Stern may have to decide when a next round of cancellations would be necessary. The season was supposed to begin Nov. 1, but all games through Nov. 14 have been scrapped, costing players about 170 million in salaries.

Inside Derek Carr's final lunge, and what happened to Crabtree on fateful play

nfl-generic.jpg

Inside Derek Carr's final lunge, and what happened to Crabtree on fateful play

OAKLAND – The Raiders had a 3rd-and-3 at the Dallas 8-yard line with 39 seconds left Sunday when Michael Crabtree got tapped on the shoulder. An official told him to leave the field and get evaluated for a concussion.

The veteran receiver was flummoxed. He felt fine, and saw no reason to abandon his unit at this crucial juncture. He headed for the sideline and asked head coach Jack Del Rio got help getting back into the play. Crabtree’s retort was never heard. You can’t argue with the independent concussion experts assigned to look for possible head trauma.

Evaluator concern must’ve come from a pass interference call two plays earlier, where the back of Crabtree’s head hit the turf following a scrap for the ball. Crabtree felt fine. That was confirmed upon evaluation in the medical tent when he was cleared to return.

Problem: There was no reason to return.

The Raiders lost on the play Crabtree missed. Quarterback Derek Carr scrambled free from the pocket and headed for the right pylon. He had the first down secured and a sideline free, but angled for the end zone trying to win the game right there.

Cowboys safety Jeff Heath hit Carr has the signal caller stretched for the goal line. The ball came free before Carr went out of bounds, meaning the ball was technically fumbled through a corner of the end zone. Technically, that’s a turnover and a touchback.

Dallas was awarded possession and a 20-17 victory at Oakland Coliseum a short time later.

That final play wasn’t supposed to go down like that. Coordinator Todd Downing had something else in mind.

“We actually had a play called, a certain play called on the other side of the field, and then the refs made us take (Crabtree) out,” Carr said. “Then we had to change our call.”

It was a major change, not only in design. Availability was also an issue. Carr targeted Crabtree 17 times in 38 pass attempts during a game with Amari Cooper sidelined with an ankle sprain.

Crabtree was livid at being pulled for such a crucial play.

“Of course I was pissed off. It is the last play of the game and I am trying to help the team win,” he said. “But, it is cool. I can't do anything about it now.”

Carr had an opportunity to complete a dramatic comeback. He had four guys in the pattern and Marshawn Lynch in to block on this play. Carr didn’t have open options in a collapsing pocket when he broke free. He tried to pump fake Jared Cook open, but his cover man stayed close. Y’all know what happened next.

“I was just trying to beat No. 38 to the corner,” Carr said. “I was able to beat him, but as soon as I stuck the ball out and he pushed – it just slipped out of my glove. I tried to hold onto it. It wasn’t like I didn’t try. Obviously, there’s a lot of different things (I could’ve done) – throw it away, kick the field goal, run out of bounds. In that moment, I was just trying to win for my teammates.”

No Raider faulted him for it. Carr had been told to go down swinging these final three games after a disastrous loss at Kansas City the week prior. The quarterback did exactly during a tough, not-always-pretty affair the Raiders had a chance to win late despite some screwy officiating decisions.

“Yeah, you can go back and say, ‘Hey don’t reach that thing across there,’” Del Rio said. “We would’ve all been really happy if he reached it across there and held onto the thing while he did. He moved with his feet there. Made a great play or potentially a great play, that’s just an inch away from a great play and ends up unfortunately going the other way for them.”

Carr understands the rule. He knew how the game would end after the ball came free and then through the end zone.

“I left it all out there,” Carr said. “I’m just trying to win for my teammates. No excuse. I have to hold onto the ball.”

Santa Cruz Warriors acquire former first-round pick, Rockets forward

jones-terrence-warriors-draymond.jpg
USATI

Santa Cruz Warriors acquire former first-round pick, Rockets forward

The Santa Cruz Warriors acquired Terrence Jones off waivers, the team announced on Monday morning.

The Rockets selected Jones with the 18th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Over 76 games (71 starts) during the 2013-14 season, Jones averaged 12.1 points and 6.9 rebounds, while shooting over 54 percent from the field.

He was limited to 33 games the following season, but still averaged 11.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per contest.

Against the Warriors in the 2015 Western Conference Finals, he scored 12 points in Game 2 and 14 points in Game 4.

The 25-year old appeared in 54 games (12 starts) for New Orleans last season, averaging 10.8 points and 5.7 rebounds in 23.5 minutes.

The Pelicans waived Jones soon after they acquired DeMarcus Cousins.

He opened this season playing in China, but was released in late November.

Keep in mind -- Jones will play for Santa Cruz but his contract is through the G League.

Any NBA team can sign the forward at any time.

The Golden State Warriors do not have an open spot on the 15-man roster, or a two-way contract to offer (Quinn Cook and Chris Boucher are on two-way deals).

Jones will be active for Santa Cruz's next game on Friday against the Reno Bighorns.

Drew Shiller is the co-host of Warriors Outsiders. Follow him on Twitter @DrewShiller