Raiders in need of secondary help, will most likely look to the draft

Raiders in need of secondary help, will most likely look to the draft

The Raiders are in need of secondary help. They could certainly find some in this NFL draft class, where quality cornerbacks are plentiful.

The front office reportedly hosted a good one on Wednesday, bringing in Oakland native Kevin King for a pre-draft visit. ESPN's Adam Caplan first broke the news.

The Bishop O'Dowd High and Washington alum fits the Raiders' mold for cornerbacks, standing 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds. The Silver and Black are in greater need of a slot cornerback with DJ Hayden's departure and significant funds invested in Sean Smith and David Amerson for 2017 at least, but King might be a good fit no matter what, with desirable size, speed and agility to be a solid pro.

He is a highly touted prospect who could be available when they select No. 24 overall in this draft.

The Raiders plan to upgrade their defense through the draft after largely ignoring it thus far in free agency.

As a local product, King does not count against the Raiders' allotment of pre-draft visits.

The Raiders also hosted cornerback Shaquill Griffin on a pre-draft visit, per ESPN. The Central Florida product ran a 4.38 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine.

The Raiders have Mississippi receiver Damore'ea Stringfellow coming in for a pre-draft visit, according to NFL Network. The Washington transfer was not invited to the scouting combine due to off-field issues.

Report: Raiders bring Reggie Nelson back


Report: Raiders bring Reggie Nelson back

Reggie Nelson has been on a reunion tour since signing with the Raiders. He first worked under Jack Del Rio, his head coach in Jacksonville and someone who choose to make him 2007’s No. 21 overall draft pick.

That link held for two years. Then Del Rio got run out in favor of Jon Gruden and Nelson hit the free-agent market. The 34-year old – he’ll be 35 in September – wasn’t expected back after a down year in 2017.

Another blast from the past created a road back to Oakland, where he reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Raiders. NFL Network reported news of Nelson’s pact.

Nelson thrived, with 23 interceptions and 62 passes defensed during six seasons in Cincinnati. New Raiders defensive coordinator Paul Guenther was linebackers coach and then Bengals DC (for two years) during Nelson’s time in the Queen City.

Nelson had five picks in 2016, his first year with Oakland, but seemed to slow down some last season. He had 60 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception in 2017.

Nelson will help teach a system familiar to him but foreign to most Raiders, but will certainly angle for steady snaps despite increased competition at his spot. 

He’ll compete for snaps at safety despite last week’s signing of Marcus Gilchrist, who was thought to take his spot. The Raiders also have Karl Joseph and Obi Melifonwu at that position. Melifonwu must earn a role in this defense. The other three have starter’s experience and will compete for that opportunity. Gilchrist also has experience covering the slot, which could help the secondary if a career cornerback isn't found to fill that role. 

Aldon Smith back in custody after police say he violated restraining order


Aldon Smith back in custody after police say he violated restraining order

SAN FRANCISCO — Former Oakland Raiders player Aldon Smith surrendered to police Friday on charges he violated a domestic violence restraining order.

San Francisco police said the 28-year-old Smith turned himself and was booked on three misdemeanor charges of violating a court order to stay away from a domestic violence victim.

Earlier this month, Smith pleaded not guilty to domestic violence and other charges and a judge issued a protective order prohibiting him from contacting the victim.

Police said Smith violated the restraining order earlier this week.

Smith’s attorney, Joshua Bentley, did not return a voicemail message from The Associated Press seeking comment.

The Raiders released the linebacker days after his arrest on the domestic violence charges.

He had been on the suspended list since late 2015 for violating the NFL’s policy on substance abuse.