Raiders

Raiders sign Jamize Olawale to three-year extension

olawale-jamize-raiders.jpg

Raiders sign Jamize Olawale to three-year extension

ALAMEDA – The new Raiders coaching staff likes Jamize Olawale’s skill set, and believed he could handle a bigger, more prominent role than years past.

The fullback has become a secondary rusher this season, flashing a combination of power and somewhat surprising speed with the ball in his hands. Those opportunities have become more frequent as the season’s grown old, now totaling 116 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries.

That’s 4.6-yards per carry, not too bad for someone with five professional carries entering the season.

He remains a quality special teams player and a solid teammate, leaving little reason why the Raiders wouldn’t want to keep him around after his contract expires following this league year.

[BAIR: Analysis: Del Rio ‘expected more,’ but Raiders still not ready]

He was set to be a restricted free agent in 2016 – the team could’ve given him a one-year tender and matched any outside offer -- but the Raiders chose to lock him up with a three-year contract signed on Tuesday afternoon.

“(Signing an extension) feels great,” Olawale said in a video posted by the team. “I love what we’re building and I’m happy to be a part of it. Let’s go out and stack these wins together.”

Olawale signed a deal that should keep him with the team through the 2018 season. Terms of the contract were not immediately disclosed.

The Raiders signed Olawale off the Dallas practice squad late in 2012, and he’s been on the 53-man roster ever since. The San Francisco native went to North Texas and entered the league as an undrafted free agent.

The Raiders hope to sign several of their own upcoming free agents, though most of that action will take place during the offseason.

Raiders fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.

norton.jpg
AP

Raiders fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.

Ken Norton Jr.'s time with the Raiders is up.

With the team underperforming, Oakland has fired Norton as the defensive coordinator, the team announced Tuesday afternoon. John Pagano will handle the play calling duties when the Raiders take on the Broncos this Sunday.

Head coach Jack Del Rio issued the following statement regarding the news:

“After careful thought, I have made a difficult decision to part ways with Ken Norton, Jr. as defensive coordinator. I have the utmost respect for Ken as a person and as a coach, but I feel that moving John Pagano into the play-calling role will best utilize his wealth of experience. I appreciate Ken’s passion and commitment to the Raiders since coming aboard and wish him the best going forward.”

The Raiders defense under Norton this season ranks 26th in the NFL in yards allow per game (367.0), is allowing 24.7 points per game and has yet to record an interception through 10 games.

"We played under our talent level. Those things come with consequences," defensive lineman Justin Ellis told reporters shortly after the news broke.

"The axe fell on all of us. We love Coach Norton. We didn’t want to see this happen," safety Reggie Nelson said.

Norton joined Del Rio's staff prior to the 2015 season.

Raiders will face a familiar foe calling plays for Broncos

del-rio-musgrave-smile.jpg
USATI

Raiders will face a familiar foe calling plays for Broncos

ALAMEDA – The Denver Broncos shook up their coaching staff prior to Sunday’s game with the Raiders, firing offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and promoting quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave to that spot.

The name should sound familiar to anyone who doesn’t suffer Dory-style short-term memory loss. Musgrave was the Raiders offensive coordinator in 2015 and 2016 and introduced a system still used in these parts, to far greater effect.

Musgrave orchestrated the No. 6-ranked offense last year, with 120 rushing yards and 253 passing yards per game. They were seventh with 26 points per game.

Head coach Jack Del Rio still decided to let Musgrave’s contract expire. The two didn’t always agree, and the Raiders chose to keep the coveted Downing in house with a promotion.

The offense has not maintained previous course.

All those numbers are down under new coordinator Todd Downing, largely operating with the same talent base plus receiving tight end Jared Cook.

They’re averaging 50 less yards and 5.5 fewer points, thus far.

Del Rio was asked on his 95.7-FM radio show whether he regretting making the switch. His answer was swift and direct.

“No, I do not,” Del Rio said. “And I wish (Musgrave) the best this week. Really, I do.”

Del Rio doesn’t wish him too well heading into an important matchup at Oakland Coliseum. The Broncos offense has struggled mightily this season, and will go with 2016 first-round pick Paton Lynch for the first time this season.

Del Rio insists the Raiders are going up against the system, not the new (yet familiar) play caller.

“You can’t change dramatically what you’ve done with your system in Week 12 or Week 13,” Del Rio said. “We’ll prepare ourselves and be ready to go against the system. Understand that there may be some things that Bill likes a little more than what Mike might do.”

The Raiders know Musgrave well and vice versa, which should make for an intriguing chess match at Oakland Coliseum.