Raiders

So this is a real defense?

902017.jpg

So this is a real defense?

ALAMEDA -- Michael Huff talked this past summer about how much he looked forward to playing in a "real defense" this season, while saying that late owner Al Davis had his hands in the previous defensive schemes the Raiders ran.Oakland just had to improve on defense this season, right? It couldn't get much worse.And yet, per Associated Press The Raiders have allowed scores on 52.2 percent of drives this season, compared to 35.6 percent last season. The Raiders' sacks are down to .75 per game from 2.44 per game last year. The opponents' completion percentage is up to 71.5 percent from 53.9 percent. Opponents' yards per game average is up to 411.5 from 387.6. Opponents' third-down conversation rate is up to 53.3 percent from 42 percent. Points per game allowed is up to 31.3 from 27.1. But perhaps most damning, in giving up 125 points, it is the most the Raiders have surrendered in the first four games of a season since before Davis came to Oakland in 1963.RELATED: Third-quarter collapse as epic as it was collective
Im definitely surprised," Huff said. "I came out, I was the one buying in, believed in the scheme, believed in the coaches, believed in everything. Im not staying away from that."Watching on film, we see what we can be. Were still one play here, one play there. Its there to be had. We just got to make the plays."Of course, a million times of course, injuries have a huge crimp in the Raiders' plans to show different looks, especially with both starting cornerbacks out in Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer and Huff moving from free safety to corner.But the players are not outwardly using that as an excuse"Were still more multiple than weve been in the past," Huff said. "Were still a little more multiple but were not multiple with certain corners down andme outside. So, its definitely, were not doing as much as we did before."Then there's this -- in the 16 games since Davis' death, the Raiders have allowed 445 points and 6,208 yards -- more than they had in any full season under his watch.

Irvin, Mack given a day off from Raiders practice

mack-irvin-usatsi.jpg
USATSI

Irvin, Mack given a day off from Raiders practice

ALAMEDA – Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin were out at Raiders practice Wednesday for the stretching period. Both edge rushers left one-at-a-time during the individual period, which was open to the press, headed into the main building and did not return.

There was no perceived reaction, certainly no surprise, from the coaching staff or players on the field. Irvin and new defensive coordinator John Pagano were seen joking around on the field before practice began in earnest. 

Both Irvin and Mack were given a practice off. A Raiders official called it a day off/rest-type day that was not injury related. The Silver and Black typically practice in pads or shells on Wednesday, but were in jerseys and sweats in the interest of recovery.

This day off's timing did raise an eyebrow.

Wednesday marked the first practice Irvin has missed since training camp. Mack hasn’t missed one in months.

Mack and Irvin’s downtime also came a day after beloved defensive coordinator Ken Norton’s firing.

Several defensive players were upset about Norton's firing, but Mack and Irvin especially were among those loyal to Norton. Mack and Norton developed a bond after the coach was named defensive coordinator in 2015. Norton and Irvin go way back to their days together in Seattle. Irvin credits Norton for helping him get on the right path and stay there.

Neither player was happy Norton got the axe. Irvin made his displeasure clear, tweeting “BULLS***” shortly after news of Norton’s demise broke. Mack told ESPN “I like to keep my thoughts private.” Defensive stars declined comment Wednesday or didn't appear in the locker room when the media was present. 

It isn’t immediately clear if the non-injury related day off was related to Norton’s dismissal. Head coach Jack Del Rio won’t speak to the media again until Friday. New defensive coordinator John Pagano is scheduled to speak Thursday afternoon.

Del Rio addressed the media before Wednesday’s practice, and was asked how he’ll handle players unhappy with the in-season shake-up.

“I don’t try and 'handle' them,” Del Rio said. “I think the biggest thing is to understand the relationship, respect that, give him a little space and then at the end of the day, we’re going to get on with our work. But, I’m human. It wasn’t easy for me either.”

Del Rio: 'Nobody should feel comfortable,' following Norton firing

norton-del-rio-usatis.jpg
USATSI

Del Rio: 'Nobody should feel comfortable,' following Norton firing

ALAMEDA – Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio put out a statement Tuesday explaining why he fired defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.

He went into greater detail Wednesday afternoon, his first time facing the media since a change was made

Specifics will be discussed further down this story. We don’t, however, want to bury the lede.

Del Rio’s main message wasn’t about Norton. It applied to all in Silver and Black. This season has not met lofty expectations. That is unacceptable.

“I know one thing,” Del Rio said. “Nobody should feel comfortable, because what I’ve been watching is not good enough.”

Del Rio didn’t absolve himself from blame. Norton got fired, but everyone has played a part in this disappointing 4-6 record.

“It’s always shared,” Del Rio said. “A change was made, obviously. We all share in it, all of us, starting with me. It’s coaches and players. It’s a team game, and we’re all in it together. And nobody is coming to help us.”

The Raiders must look inward to start a prolonged winning streak they’ve shown little evidence they can create.

The seat will be warm under players and coaches alike, even if only one change was made. Expect further shakeup on the coaching staff after the season, if vast improvements don’t come down the stretch, possibly with several position coaches being shown the door. More than a few higher profile players could be cut or allowed to leave, especially on defense.

While Del Rio has taken more heat the past month than at any other time in his Raiders tenure, expect him to be around a longer term. He was given a contract extension in February, and has significant capitol built after changing the culture in Oakland and re-teaching this team how to win. One bad year, even if this season continues heading downhill, shouldn’t erase that.

Del Rio was looking to shake things up, and Norton was the obvious move. Experienced play caller John Pagano was on staff – he was Chargers defensive coordinator from 2012-2016 – and firing the popular Pagano’s style could create some new waves and looks that any offensive Norton would make an impact in the locker room and prove this story’s opening quote, that no one should feel comfortable.

Del Rio hopes firing Norton will be a shock to the defense’s system.

“I really felt like I needed to shake things up,” Del Rio said. “We couldn’t continue doing what we’ve been doing to this point. So I made the call. The whole idea is to change what we’re doing and make sure…what I’m looking for at the end of the day is for us to play fast on defense. We weren’t playing fast enough. We weren’t playing confident enough.”