Oakland’s super middleweight champion Andre Ward will cancel his title defense against Kelly Pavlik and will instead opt for surgery to repair an injured right shoulder, according to a report.
Cameron Dunkin, Pavlik's manager, informed ESPN.com that he learned about the development from Bob Arum, Pavlik’s promoter. A source within Team Ward confirmed the news with CSNBayArea.com.
"Bob called me up and told me the fight was out and said, 'What are we gonna do with Pavlik?' He said [Ward's promoter Dan] Goossen called him and told him that Ward needed shoulder surgery," Dunkin said.
On Thursday morning, Ward released a statement through his publicist, Julie Goldsticker:
“When I first got injured, there was a lot of inflammation, and the MRI was misread by the first radiologist. I’ve been doing extensive rehab and the shoulder was getting stronger, but after three and a half weeks of rehab, there was still slight pain that had me concerned enough to get two additional opinions,” Ward said. “It was then diagnosed that there is a small tear in my shoulder capsule. It’s not a major tear, but I can either rest it and see if it heals itself or speed up the process by surgically repairing it, and be stronger than I was before the injury and that’s what we opted to do.”
Ward is tentatively scheduled to have surgery late next week in the Bay Area.
“I’m working with one of the best orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists in Northern California, and I know that I will come back stronger than before. I appreciate all the support that I’ve already received and my fans can rest assured that I’m going to be back in the ring as soon as possible,” Ward said. “Despite the injury, I still plan to have a big 2013 and hope to have two fights in the New Year.”
“I was really looking forward to the fight with Pavlik. Everything was on board and situations happen, but I wish Kelly Pavilk and his team nothing but the best in the future,” he added.
Ward (NorCal No. 1; 26-0, 14 KOs) was slated to meet Pavlik (40-2, 34 KOs) on Jan. 26 at the Galen Center in Los Angeles, but hurt his shoulder earlier this month during a sparring session with middleweight Tony Hirsch.
At that time, Goossen informed CSNBayArea.com that Ward had undergone an MRI, but that the results came back negative and that he would not need surgery. Goossen then proposed alternate dates of Feb. 23 and March 2 to stage the bout.
However, the severity of the injury was greater than expected, and the two weeks of rest that his doctors had suggested was insufficient for recovery. Now Ward might be sidelined until next September, according to the source.
CSN Bay Area Boxing Insider Ryan Maquiñana is a voting member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and panelist for Ring Magazine’s Ratings Board. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org, check out his blog at Norcalboxing.net, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.
Former 49ers defensive lineman Dana Stubblefield is behind bars.
According to the Mercury News, Stubblefield was led away from court to jail in handcuffs Friday after a judge found there was probable cause to hold him over for trial on charges of rape stemming from May 2016.
Stubblefield is charged with raping an intellectually disabled woman on April 9, 2015 at his Morgan Hill home when she had gone to interview for a babysitting job.
According to the same report, Stubblefield had been free on $250,000 bail for more than a year. But the judge ordered him taken into custody Friday after prosecutors formally added the allegation that Stubblefield used a gun during the assault, which made it a no-bail case.
Stubblefield has pleaded not guilty and publicly denied the five felony charges and gun enhancement that prosecutors say could lead to at least 15 years to life in prison if he is convicted.
Stubblefield played 11 seasons in the NFL, including the first five with the 49ers. He later returned to the 49ers in 2001 and ’02, before finishing his career with the Raiders.
Stubblefield, a first-round pick of the 49ers in 1993, was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year after recording 10.5 sacks. He was named the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year with a career-high 15 sacks in 1997. He signed a lucrative contract with Washington in 1998.
The San Jose Earthquakes are hoping they've caught lighting in a bottle twice.
Last season, Nick Lima emerged as one of the game's best young defenders. And on Day 1 of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, San Jose went to the fullback well with the selection of Paul Marie from Florida International University with the 12th pick in the first round.
"Paul has the profile we were looking for from the very beginning heading into the combine and the draft," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli via press release. "We were looking for a fullback. We see in him an offensive-minded outside back that has technical qualities and the ability to read the game."
Experts pegged Marie, 22, as a late-first, early-second-round selection. But a pair of solid days during the MLS Combine boosted the Frenchman's stock -- especially on San Jose's board. According to Fioranelli, Marie was No. 4 on their draft board -- having him there at No. 12 must have felt like a steal for Fioranelli and staff.
"We especially liked that he has character and in the interview that we had with him, he convinced us," Fioranelli said. "The entire coaching staff are really excited about having him part of the club."
San Jose not only lucked out that their fourth-best footballer was there at 12, but with American parents, he does not take up an international slot for San Jose -- the team is still three players over their allotment.
In an interview after his selection with Jason Davis of Sirius XM radio, Marie told San Jose fans what they can expect from the defender.
"They can expect Paul Marie to give it all for San Jose," he said.
The Quakes were in need of defensive depth going in to Day 1 of the SuperDraft. In Marie, they have a fullback who can stretch the pitch from the right side and be a backup to Lima.