From Comcast SportsNetNEW YORK (AP) -- Baltimore Ravens star safety Ed Reed was suspended for one game by the NFL on Monday for repeated hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.The 11-year veteran will miss Sunday's game against San Diego, which will cost him one game check of more than 400,000.Reed is suspended for three violations of the player safety rules in the past three seasons. The latest came in Sunday night's 13-10 victory over Pittsburgh when he was penalized for unnecessary roughness in the third quarter for a hit to the head of receiver Emmanuel Sanders.Reed also was penalized Sept. 23 against the Patriots for unnecessary roughness and fined 21,000 for striking Deion Branch when the receiver was defenseless.Before that, Reed hit Saints quarterback Drew Brees on Dec. 19, 2010, and was fined 10,000."We cannot tolerate repeated violations of rules, especially rules related to player safety," NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said Monday. "We will continue to take the strongest possible action to deter these types of violations and protect our players."Steelers safety Ryan Clark tweeted: "Tough on Ed getting suspended. I can't say that I agree w that. It was a penalty but I don't believe he was intentionally trying to harm E."Under the collective bargaining agreement with the players' union, the suspension can be appealed within three days. An expedited hearing and decision would take place this week.Appeals are heard by either Art Shell or Ted Cottrell, the officers jointly appointed by the NFL and NFL Players Association.Ravens coach John Harbaugh disagreed with the league's ruling, saying: "I was very surprised, I didn't see that one coming.""They were all inadvertent," Harbaugh said of the three hits cited by the NFL. "None of those were with the intent to injure or to harm in any way. I think when you look at the hits it's pretty obvious. When you look at Ed, he respects the game, he respects the players."Reed is the second player suspended this season for violating rules designed to protect players. Denver linebacker Joe Mays was barred for one game for an illegal hit against Houston quarterback Matt Schaub on Sept. 23.Others suspended for similar hits in past seasons include Steelers linebacker James Harrison and Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in 2011; Panthers defensive back Dante Wesley in 2009; Tampa Bay DB Elbert Mack and New York Jets safety Eric Smith in 2008; and Cowboys safety Roy Williams in 2007; and Titans DT Albert Haynesworth in 2006.
Former 49ers defensive lineman Dana Stubblefield is behind bars.
According to the Mercury News, Stubblefield was led away from court to jail in handcuffs Friday after a judge found there was probable cause to hold him over for trial on charges of rape stemming from May 2016.
CONFIRMED: Former #49ers star Dana Stubblefield jailed in San Jose. Facing rape charges from 2015 incident. Woman says he raped her at his Morgan Hill home, where she interviewed for a babysitting job. Stubblefield also arrested in 2000 for assaulting his then wife. pic.twitter.com/J30WYrJZRd— Raj Mathai (@rajmathai) January 20, 2018
Stubblefield is charged with raping an intellectually disabled woman on April 9, 2015 at his Morgan Hill home when she had gone to interview for a babysitting job.
According to the same report, Stubblefield had been free on $250,000 bail for more than a year. But the judge ordered him taken into custody Friday after prosecutors formally added the allegation that Stubblefield used a gun during the assault, which made it a no-bail case.
Stubblefield has pleaded not guilty and publicly denied the five felony charges and gun enhancement that prosecutors say could lead to at least 15 years to life in prison if he is convicted.
Stubblefield played 11 seasons in the NFL, including the first five with the 49ers. He later returned to the 49ers in 2001 and ’02, before finishing his career with the Raiders.
Stubblefield, a first-round pick of the 49ers in 1993, was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year after recording 10.5 sacks. He was named the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year with a career-high 15 sacks in 1997. He signed a lucrative contract with Washington in 1998.
The San Jose Earthquakes are hoping they've caught lighting in a bottle twice.
Last season, Nick Lima emerged as one of the game's best young defenders. And on Day 1 of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, San Jose went to the fullback well with the selection of Paul Marie from Florida International University with the 12th pick in the first round.
"Paul has the profile we were looking for from the very beginning heading into the combine and the draft," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli via press release. "We were looking for a fullback. We see in him an offensive-minded outside back that has technical qualities and the ability to read the game."
Experts pegged Marie, 22, as a late-first, early-second-round selection. But a pair of solid days during the MLS Combine boosted the Frenchman's stock -- especially on San Jose's board. According to Fioranelli, Marie was No. 4 on their draft board -- having him there at No. 12 must have felt like a steal for Fioranelli and staff.
"We especially liked that he has character and in the interview that we had with him, he convinced us," Fioranelli said. "The entire coaching staff are really excited about having him part of the club."
San Jose not only lucked out that their fourth-best footballer was there at 12, but with American parents, he does not take up an international slot for San Jose -- the team is still three players over their allotment.
In an interview after his selection with Jason Davis of Sirius XM radio, Marie told San Jose fans what they can expect from the defender.
"They can expect Paul Marie to give it all for San Jose," he said.
The Quakes were in need of defensive depth going in to Day 1 of the SuperDraft. In Marie, they have a fullback who can stretch the pitch from the right side and be a backup to Lima.