Celtics

Celtics, Cavs reach agreement on Irving deal

Celtics, Cavs reach agreement on Irving deal

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics avoided their blockbuster trade with Cleveland being voided by sending the Cavs a future second-round pick as part of the trade package to acquire Kyrie Irving.

The package to Cleveland now includes a 2020 second-round pick (from Miami) along with the already agreed-upon trade pieces which includes Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and a 2018 unprotected Brooklyn first round pick.

MORE ON THE DEAL

The Cavaliers had until 10 a.m. Thursday morning to void the deal based upon Thomas’ physical which was conducted last Saturday.

Boston told the Cavs prior to them agreeing to the trade on Aug. 22 that Thomas’s hip injury suffered last season might result in his start to the season being delayed. 

Danny Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, reiterated that message on a conference call with reporters after the deal became official pending physicals.  

After Cleveland’s doctors had a look at Thomas up-close, they reportedly believed the two-time all-star’s injury might sideline him for an extended period of time.

That it is when the rumors of Cleveland asking for additional compensation from Boston began to make the rounds, with the Cavs reportedly wanting a late first-round pick or possibly some form of second-round compensation to complete the deal. 

Meanwhile, the Celtics felt acquiescing to Cleveland’s desire to have the 2018 unprotected Brooklyn pick (a likely top-5 pick in a top-heavy draft) as part of the Paul Pierce/Kevin Garnett trade in 2013, would be enough to satisfy the Cavs.

Cleveland indicated what it was seeking as additional compensation earlier this week, but league sources told CSNNE.com that no additional compensation was agreed upon at that time. 

Ultimately, the Celtics included the second-round pick to secure the 25-year-old Irving, a four-time all-star who ranks among the top guards in the NBA.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Smart 'not worried' about lack of contract extension with Celtics

Smart 'not worried' about lack of contract extension with Celtics

CLEVELAND – For the third year in a row, a first-round pick of the Boston Celtics is unable to come to terms on a contract extension prior to the deadline.

That means Marcus Smart will become a restricted free agent this summer. Last year it was Kelly Olynyk (now with the Miami Heat) and in 2015 it was Jared Sullinger (now with Shenzhen Leopards of the Chinese Basketball Association).

Both the Celtics and Smart's camp intensified their discussions in recent days as the October 16th 6 p.m. EST deadline drew near.

MORE:

While there was progress made, there wasn’t enough to get a deal done.

Smart has repeatedly indicated that he wants to re-sign a long-term deal to stay in Boston.

And the market for the 6-foot-4 guard became clearer based on the contracts that some of his fellow rookie class of 2014, were receiving.

Denver’s Gary Harris agreed to a four-year, $84 million contract after establishing himself as one of the better young two-way talents in the NBA last season. And at the other end of the financial spectrum, you would have to look at Phoenix’s T.J. Warren who signed a four-year, $50 million contract.

More than likely, Smart’s deal next summer will fall somewhere between the deals those two players received.

As much as Smart would have preferred to get a deal done heading into the season, it’s not something that he’s going to cause him to lose any sleep.

“Get it done now, or get it done in six months, I’m OK either way,” he told NBC Sports Boston. “I’m not worried about it.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

All signs point to LeBron James playing against Celtics Tuesday

160304-lebron.jpg

All signs point to LeBron James playing against Celtics Tuesday

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- A sprained left ankle injury kept LeBron James out of all but one of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ preseason games, and has created a certain element of uncertainty as to whether he’ll play against the Boston Celtics on Tuesday night. 
 
While it has yet to be determined for sure if he’ll play, all indications are that the 15-year veteran will be in the starting lineup as the Cavs kick off their quest to remain the team to beat in the East.

“I never hide stuff from you guys. I really don’t know,” Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said when asked if James would play against the Celtics. “Depending on how he feels, but I really don’t know.”
 
However, James looked pretty comfortable shooting the ball after practice with a trio of former Celtics in Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder and Jeff Green. 
 
And if you listen to the man who would likely start in James’ place -- J.R. Smith -- there’s nothing to worry about Cavs Nation. 
 
According to Smith, James will play. 
 
“We were talking about it, he’s never missed, since he was 8 years old and he started playing, he’s never missed a first game,” Smith said. “I’m preparing for him to play.”
 
Despite having played more than 41,000 minutes -- only 33 players in NBA history have done so -- James has been one of the game’s more durable players. Last season James he sat out only eight games, and that was the most he has missed in a single season.
 
 "He's gonna go [Tuesday]," Smith said. "He's gonna go, trust me [on] that. I don't care what he's gotta do, he's gonna play."