Red Sox

1B/OF Selsky gets Red Sox' final roster spot

1B/OF Selsky gets Red Sox' final roster spot

First baseman and outfielder Steve Selsky is the 25th man on the Red Sox to begin the season. 

Sox manager John Farrell said that spot on the roster will be “fairly fluid,” per the Boston Herald’s Steve Buckley, who reported the news of Selsky’s addition Saturday. 

A 27-year-old claimed off waivers from the Reds in January, Selsky’s a right-handed hitter who can play the outfield as well as first base. He had a strong spring, hitting .356 in 45 at-bats, but had already been optioned to the minor leagues. 

Health situations changed the Sox’ mind.

Starting first baseman Mitch Moreland is dealing with the flu and his strength and readiness for the season is unclear. Combined with Hanley Ramirez’s lack of time at first base because of a sore throwing shoulder and Josh Rutledge’s sore hamstring, the Sox needed some help.

Selsky wasn’t the only one who could give it to them, but he had experience at first base, whereas the other did not.

Infielder Marco Hernandez, who had a great spring (.377) but has never played first base, was optioned on Saturday, before the Red Sox played their final exhibition of the spring, against the Washington Nationals at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. 

The fact the Sox went with Selsky suggests more confidence in their third-base situation right now and Pablo Sandoval than their first-base situation. Both Sandoval and Moreland may be best suited to platoons, but the fact the Sox are carrying an extra first baseman makes clear they have more concern for Moreland.

Selsky’s father, Steve, played in the minors for the Dodgers and White Sox organizations. His mother, Lou Ann, played Olympic volleyball.

Red Sox trade Marrero to Diambondbacks

Red Sox trade Marrero to Diambondbacks

The Red Sox traded infielder Deven Marrero to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a player to be named or cash. 

Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski made the announcement on Saturday.

Marrero, 27, was fighting for one of the final roster spots as a bench player, along with utility man Brock Holt.  The first-round pick in 2012 out of Arizona State had spent his entire pro career with the Red Sox organization. He appeared in 109 major league games from 2015-17, making 50 starts at third base, nine at second base, and five at shortstop.

In 2017, the right-handed hitter played in a career-high 71 major league games, batting .211 with four home runs and 27 RBI. 

Early exit for Sale after liner off leg, but he's expected to be OK

Early exit for Sale after liner off leg, but he's expected to be OK

Red Sox ace Chris Sale is expected to be able to make his Opening Day start after he was struck in the left leg by a line drive off the bat of the Houston Astros' J.D. Davis in the first inning on Saturday in Fort Myers, Fla., and had to leave his final spring training start. 

After being examined by team medical personnel on the field, Sale walked back to the dugout. He was taken for precautionary X-rays which showed no structural damage.

The Red Sox said Sale sustained a contusion on his left leg.  "I don't see anything lingering from this. It looked a lot worse than it was," Sale told reporters. "It scared the hell out of me,”

Sale is scheduled to be the Red Sox Thursday in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Fla.  Manager Alex Cora and Sale said he'd be OK to make the start.