Red Sox

Holt begins taking BP as recovery from concussion symptoms continues


Holt begins taking BP as recovery from concussion symptoms continues

BALTIMORE -- Brock Holt, on the concussion disabled list for the second time in the last three seasons, took his first round of batting practice on the field Wednesday afternoon.

"He's progressing,'' said John Farrell. "What we've come to know with these situations is that (when) you increase the activity, you increase the exertion just to get him re-conditioned and how his system gets re-calibrated and the balance in the brain, the equilibrium . . . that's the process he's in right now.''

Holt took fly balls Tuesday and again Wednesday. He's already taken some ground balls as part of his workout regimen.

"But we don't have a timetable for getting him out to get some live at-bats,'' Farrell said, "or even a return date, for that matter.''

It's assumed that Holt will eventually need to go out on a rehab assignment, though that shouldn't be for a prolonged period.

"With this,'' said Farrell, "you're talking about one of most difficult things in sports to do and that's hit a baseball. And he's going to need to see some live pitching. How many at-bats? That's still to be determined.''

Holt suffered a mild concussion last month when the Oakland A's were in town and he went in to play second base late in a game. He dived for a ball and felt a whiplash-like effect in his neck.

The neck was treated, but as those symptoms went away, he began to again experience some concussion-like symptoms. He also experienced a concussion in the final month of 2014 and missed the remainder of the season.

In Holt's absence, the Red Sox have been relying on Blake Swihart in left. While Swihart hasn't produced much offensively of late -- he's 4-for-15 on the current road trip -- he has adapted nicely to left.

"We didn't know how long it would take for him to feel comfortable,'' said Farrell. "We felt like his athleticism would allow him to (make the switch from catcher). It's been work on his part, but to his credit, he's transitioned fairly seamlessly.

"Even behind the plate, we felt he had good baseball instincts. We felt his overall athleticism was going to allow him to be adequate there. And what he's shown is that he's more than adequate.''

Red Sox trade Marrero to Diambondbacks

Red Sox trade Marrero to Diambondbacks

The Red Sox traded infielder Deven Marrero to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a player to be named or cash. 

Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski made the announcement on Saturday.

Marrero, 27, was fighting for one of the final roster spots as a bench player, along with utility man Brock Holt.  The first-round pick in 2012 out of Arizona State had spent his entire pro career with the Red Sox organization. He appeared in 109 major league games from 2015-17, making 50 starts at third base, nine at second base, and five at shortstop.

In 2017, the right-handed hitter played in a career-high 71 major league games, batting .211 with four home runs and 27 RBI. 

Early exit for Sale after liner off leg, but he's expected to be OK

Early exit for Sale after liner off leg, but he's expected to be OK

Red Sox ace Chris Sale is expected to be able to make his Opening Day start after he was struck in the left leg by a line drive off the bat of the Houston Astros' J.D. Davis in the first inning on Saturday in Fort Myers, Fla., and had to leave his final spring training start. 

After being examined by team medical personnel on the field, Sale walked back to the dugout. He was taken for precautionary X-rays which showed no structural damage.

The Red Sox said Sale sustained a contusion on his left leg.  "I don't see anything lingering from this. It looked a lot worse than it was," Sale told reporters. "It scared the hell out of me,”

Sale is scheduled to be the Red Sox Thursday in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Fla.  Manager Alex Cora and Sale said he'd be OK to make the start.