Red Sox

Chris Sale will not be suspended for throwing behind Manny Machado

Chris Sale will not be suspended for throwing behind Manny Machado

Chris Sale is not going to be suspended as a part of the Red Sox-Orioles ridiculousness, a source confirmed to CSNNE.

ESPN's Buster Olney first reported that determination.

Commissioner Rob Manfred spoke to reporters in Minnesota on Friday afternoon and elaborated on the conference call he had with the Sox and O’s on Wednesday, the day after Sale threw behind Manny Machado.

“The Orioles and the Red Sox situation had persisted for a substantial period of time,” Manfred said. “I felt it was different than the normal I-hit-your-guy, you-hit-my-guy. As a matter of fact, it had persisted so long, it was hard to trace back who had hit who when and whose turn it was, if you will let me use that phrase. 

“Given that fact, we decided we were going to try something a little different in terms of speaking to the clubs and just asking them, no matter where you think you are in this process of back and forth, enough's enough, before someone gets really seriously hurt. I think we were also motivated — there was at least one pitch that was of grave concern to us, a second one that was of serious concern. We just didn't want to see it go any further.”

The pitch of “grave concern” was surely Matt Barnes’ pitch near Machado’s head, that earned Barnes a four-game suspension. The pitch of serious concern was probably Sale’s, based on comments MLB’s Joe Torre made to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal this week. Dylan Bundy’s fastballs at Mookie Betts’ hip may have slipped under the radar.

Manfred left the door open for the rules to change to better protect batters.

“It has been a concern of ours, the issue of hit batsman, throwing at batters,” Manfred said. “It's a concern of ours because it's a safety issue. If you think about the things we've done in recent years — the catchers rule, the second-base slide rule — those are player-safety rules. 

“Obviously, this is a similar player-safety issue. It was an issue that we raised during the negotiations over the basic agreement [heading into this season]. I'm hopeful that we're going to have a continuing dialogue with [union head] Tony Clark and the MLBPA about whether our rules in this area are really sufficient.”

John Farrell joins ESPN’s ‘Baseball Tonight’ as analyst

File Photo

John Farrell joins ESPN’s ‘Baseball Tonight’ as analyst

John Farrell can add another job to his resume.

The former Boston Red Sox manager has joined the crew for ESPN's "Baseball Tonight," according to The Boston Globe. His debut will be on Wednesday for a season-preview show.

The Red Sox fired Farrell on Oct. 11, 2017 despite a second-straight A.L. East crown. Alex Cora will begin his first season in Farrell's old role during the 2018 season.

Farrell added the broadcast work after the Cincinnati Reds hired him as a scout and adviser with a focus on pitching. He interviewed this offseason for the Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals managing jobs, but both teams passed on him.


Red Sox minor league team invites Trump, Biden to settle it in ring

File photos

Red Sox minor league team invites Trump, Biden to settle it in ring

In this corner, the challenger out of Scranton, Pa., Joltin' Joe Biden...In the other corner, straight out of Queens, the President of the United States, Dandy Donald J. Trump!

The venue: LeLacheur Park, Lowell, Mass., home of the Red Sox Class-A affiliate, the Lowell Spinners.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's The Slasher at LeLacheur!

After the former Vice-President told a crowd at the University of Miami earlier this week of the current President, "If we were in high school, I'd take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him, President Trump fired back on Twitter Thursday morning. 

The Spinners, the Sox' short-season New York-Penn League affiliate, have offered to host a boxing match between the Republican President and Democratic former Vice President on Aug. 17 by the flagpole at LeLacheur. Former light-welterweight champ and Lowell native Micky Ward has agreed to referee.

No word yet if Trump, who'll be 72 by then, or Biden, 75, have accepted the invitation.

The Spinners' press release announcing the invitation says that if the two do accept, "the boxing match will take place regardless of the weather, no matter how stormy it may get."