Red Sox

David Ortiz says Chris Sale is 'going to continue striking out 20 per game'

David Ortiz says Chris Sale is 'going to continue striking out 20 per game'

When it comes to Chris Sale, David Ortiz is apparently having a hard time believing.

“Unbelievable man, unbelievable,” Ortiz said Saturday night at The Charmed Foundation gala at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. “Unbelievable. But I know it was coming. I knew it was coming. That’s why I got so excited when we got him. He’s an unbelievable pitcher, he’s going to help us out a lot. 

“You know, (David) Price, whenever he gets back. It’s just the beginning of the season. … Everybody’s going to be fine, we’re going to start winning ball games. Sale’s going to continue striking out 20 per game. It’s fun to watch man.”

Ortiz dodged a question of how Sale compares to Pedro Martinez. 

Ortiz talked baseball only briefly on Saturday, when he arrived at a charity event to surprise Maverick Schutte, the young Wyoming boy battling through myriad medical problems whom Ortiz befriended last April. 

Ortiz promised Schutte, who has a congenital heart condition and lung defect, that he would hit a home run for him against the Yankees — and Ortiz followed through in the eighth inning of a 4-2 win on April 29.

The two were reunited Saturday.

“It was wonderful,” Ortiz said of the home run. “Me and Maverick we go way back. It’s always good seeing him.”

Big Papi said he’s watched the 2017 Red Sox a few times, and that the questions haven’t stopped about his playing status.

No, he hasn’t changed his mind.

“It’s over, you know?” Ortiz said. “I’m going Hollywood now.”

“I’ve been busy man. I‘ve been all over the place. Whenever I have some time off, I’m just at home chilling.”

If retirement was supposed to make Ortiz fat and slovenly, he's avoided that look thus far, looking trim relative to his build.

"I’m trying man," Ortiz said. "I’m trying to keep it real."

Ortiz didn’t say much about the current team, except that he thinks there’s chemistry brewing.

“Got a good ball club,” Ortiz said. “I think everybody’s going to be fine. Can see good chemistry going on in the dugout.

“To me that’s very important and I’m pretty sure they’re going to bounce back and it’s going to be alright.”

Red Sox president Sam Kennedy told CSNNE earlier this month he thinks an official job for Ortiz with the Red Sox could wait until later in the year, if not next year. Ortiz didn’t hint otherwise.

“We’re talking,” Ortiz said. “I’ve been so busy right now. We’re talking. … I want to have time for it.”

Charmed stands for Children and Athletes Regenerative Medicine. Schutte and Ortiz on Saturday were named co-recipient son the foundation’s Courage Award. The foundation wants to accelerate the development of regenerative therapies to help the body heal itself.

As expected, it's Sale, Price and Porcello to start Sox season

As expected, it's Sale, Price and Porcello to start Sox season

New Red Sox manager Alex Cora has announced that, as expected, left-hander Chris Sale will be the Opening Day starter when the Red Sox begin their season nine days from now against the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Fla. David Price will pitch the second game and Rick Porcello the third. 

Cora told reporters in Fort Myers, Fla. that Eduardo Rodriguez would be in the fourth starter's spot if he's ready as he continues to recover from off-season knee surgery and left-hander Brian Johnson is preparing to be the fifth starter for now.

In Price's second Grapefruit League start on Tuesday, he pitched five innings and allowed two runs on three hits, walked one and struck out four in the Red Sox' 12-6 victory over the Pirates. Third baseman Rafael Devers, hitting .349 this spring, hit his third home run of the spring. Andrew Benintendi (.405) had a double and two RBI and first baseman Sam Travis drove in three. 

Sale had a much rougher outing Monday, giving up four runs on five hits, with three walks and six strikeouts in five innings against the Phillies. 



Red Sox, Yankees working to play in London in 2019

Red Sox, Yankees working to play in London in 2019

Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are about to go global.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy on Monday confirmed the Sox are interested to play the Yankees in London during next year's regular season. Bloomberg reported the clubs are nearing an agreement to play two games there in June 2019. Discussions are indeed taking place, but a deal is not done.

MORE - Sox signal they'll keep Swihart, may trade Marrero or Holt

“We would love to participate in a series in London against the Yankees but this is a decision that MLB and the MLBPA will make," Sox CEO Sam Kennedy said.

Bloomberg reported the games would be played at London Stadium, which was the main facility for the 2012 summer Olympics.

MLB has not played any games in Europe before. The Red Sox have made trips before, including to Japan before the 2008 season.