Red Sox

Plouffe may yet plug Red Sox' hole at third base

Plouffe may yet plug Red Sox' hole at third base

OAKLAND -- A's third baseman Trevor Plouffe said Saturday that the Red Sox were a finalist for him this offseason, when he signed a one-year, $5.25 million deal with the A's as a first-time free agent.

What brought Plouffe to Oakland was an opportunity the Sox just couldn't offer -- playing time at third base. Not initially, anyway, considering they had high hopes for Pablo Sandoval. Or at least some hopes.

"I wanted to play third base and [the A's] came and right away and expressed their interest in that, and to me it was kind of a no-brainer," Plouffe said . "I was going to come here and get a chance to start at third. Kind of after last year, not being able to play a ton of games, prove that I can stay healthy again -- that was kind of the real selling point for me."

Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski publicly noted in the winter the difficulty the Sox had at times luring veterans because of a lack of playing time available.

"I mean, we had good conversations with [the Sox] and they were one of the last couple teams that we were talking to," Plouffe said. "Ultimately, I think there was opportunity in Boston, but I think the opportunity here was just greater. Where I'm at in my career, I needed to have a place to come play."

A knee injury to Sandoval later, Plouffe could have had it with the Red Sox. First base might have been an option for playing time too, occasionally, in Boston, but his preference is third base.

Plouffe entered Saturday hitting .252 with six home runs. Since May 7, he's hitting .405 with a .450 on-base percentage, .676 slugging percentage and a pair of home runs.

Who knows? Maybe the Sox and Plouffe wind up a pair later this season.

The A's, who were in last place in the American League West entering Saturday, have no qualms about dealing away players -- particularly those on one-year deals.

"Of course. You can't be naive about that fact," Plouffe said when asked if he arrived in Oakland knowing he could be dealt. "But you know, what I'm really thinking is, we come here and win. Then we add and we don't subtract. [In spring training] I saw the guys we had and the young starting pitching that we have, and it really excited me.

"The bullpen has been injured, I think when we need 'em they're going to be there. That was my thinking. I want to come here and add, not come here and subtract. Obviously I was aware of the history."

Red Sox minor leaguer Oscar Hernandez suspended for second positive drug test

Red Sox minor leaguer Oscar Hernandez suspended for second positive drug test

Red Sox minor league catcher Oscar Hernandez has been handed a 50-game suspension for a second positive test for a drug of abuse, our own Evan Drellich reports.

Hernandez signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox in January and currently is on the Triple-A Pawtucket roster. The 24-year-old will be able to return in late May.





Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

File Photo

Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright will be suspended 15 games for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy, NBC Sports Boston has learned. The league is set to make the announcement Friday.

Wright, working his way back from right knee surgery, has to serve the suspension when healthy. Potential time on the disabled list to begin the season would not count. Wright is not expected to appeal.

Wright was arrested at his Tennessee home in December following an incident involving his wife, Shannon. Wright was charged with domestic assault and preventing a 911 call, which are misdemeanors in Tennessee, and released on a $2,500 bond.

The case in December was retired by the Williamson County courthouse. If Wright commits no other offenses for a 12-month span, the charges are expected to be dropped.

Fifteen games matches the lowest suspension MLB has given out in relation to a domestic violence case since the league and players union agreed to a policy in 2015. Mets pitcher Jeurys Familia was suspended 15 games in March 2017.

"It's a situation that, it sucks not only for me, but for my family, for the team," Wright told reporters in Florida on Thursday. "But I try not to think about it. When MLB comes out with their discipline, or if there's going to be discipline or not, it's just going to go from there."

Wright said this spring that he did not harm his wife.

“We’ve been going to counseling. We’ve been working through it,” Wright said. “We’ve been trying to do as much as we can to put it past us, but it’s hard. Because MLB is doing their investigation and it’s in the limelight. It’s really hard on a personal level to get past something that’s constantly being thrown at you. But I did it to myself. It’s one of those things that I’ve got to live with the consequences that came from my actions that night.”