Red Sox

Red Sox place Holt and Carson Smith on DL; recall Ramirez and Swihart

Red Sox place Holt and Carson Smith on DL; recall Ramirez and Swihart

BOSTON -- As feared, the Red Sox were forced to place Carson Smith back on the disabled list today. But, in a totally unexpected move, Brock Holt went with him.

The Sox placed Holt on the 7-day concussion DL, retroactive to yesterday (May 19), in addition to putting Smith back on the 15-day DL because of a recurrance of the right elbow soreness that sidelined him in spring training. The team recalled Blake Swihart -- who has been transitioning from catcher to outfield since being sent to Pawtucket last month -- and reliever Noe Ramirez to replace them.

Holt is hitless in his last 15 at-bats and is in the midst of a 2-for-24 slump that has dropped his slash line from .281/.356/.415 to .239/.310/.354. There was no immediate announcement as to when the concussion occured, and it's yet to be determined whether it contributed to his recent offensive downslide.

As for Smith, he had appeared in just three games since being reactivated on May 3 and said he had been feeling twinges in his arm again. His absence leaves the Sox with a thin bullpen once more, as there are only three relievers -- Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara and Craig Kimbrel -- who John Farrell completely trusts when the Red Sox have a lead.

Red Sox trade Marrero to Diambondbacks

Red Sox trade Marrero to Diambondbacks

The Red Sox traded infielder Deven Marrero to the Arizona Diamondbacks for a player to be named or cash. 

Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski made the announcement on Saturday.

Marrero, 27, was fighting for one of the final roster spots as a bench player, along with utility man Brock Holt.  The first-round pick in 2012 out of Arizona State had spent his entire pro career with the Red Sox organization. He appeared in 109 major league games from 2015-17, making 50 starts at third base, nine at second base, and five at shortstop.

In 2017, the right-handed hitter played in a career-high 71 major league games, batting .211 with four home runs and 27 RBI. 

Early exit for Sale after liner off leg, but he's expected to be OK

Early exit for Sale after liner off leg, but he's expected to be OK

Red Sox ace Chris Sale is expected to be able to make his Opening Day start after he was struck in the left leg by a line drive off the bat of the Houston Astros' J.D. Davis in the first inning on Saturday in Fort Myers, Fla., and had to leave his final spring training start. 

After being examined by team medical personnel on the field, Sale walked back to the dugout. He was taken for precautionary X-rays which showed no structural damage.

The Red Sox said Sale sustained a contusion on his left leg.  "I don't see anything lingering from this. It looked a lot worse than it was," Sale told reporters. "It scared the hell out of me,”

Sale is scheduled to be the Red Sox Thursday in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Fla.  Manager Alex Cora and Sale said he'd be OK to make the start.