Steven Wright won't be able to throw a bullpen session on Saturday, Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters before the game in Detroit on Friday night, so it looks like Clay Buchholz will make another start in Wright's place Tuesday against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Wright is on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury sustained while diving back to second base on a pickoff attempt when he was used as pinch runner against the Dodgers in Los Angeles on Aug. 7.
"I haven't thrown off a mound since last week. I'm not going to get on the mound unless I can do a complete flat ground with good intensity," Wright told the Providence Journal on Friday. "For me, a better plan is to take it day by day."
It was originally thought the knuckleballer wouldn't need a DL stint, but he was placed on it Sunday (retroactive to Aug. 7) with the plan to miss a start and pitch Tuesday at Tampa Bay. With the shoulder not recovered enough for a bullpen session for Wright (13-5, 3.01 ERA) Saturday, it appears Buchholz will get the call again against the Rays.
Buchholz (4-9, 5.42) pitched well in his last start, allowing a run on six hits in six innings in a 4-3 loss to the Tigers on Thursday.
Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodriguez (2-5, 5.11) left his last start in Baltimore Tuesday night after four innings with a hamstring injury but Farrell said he doesn't expect Rodriguez to miss his scheduled start Sunday against the Tigers.
New Red Sox manager Alex Cora has announced that, as expected, left-hander Chris Sale will be the Opening Day starter when the Red Sox begin their season nine days from now against the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Fla. David Price will pitch the second game and Rick Porcello the third.
Cora told reporters in Fort Myers, Fla. that Eduardo Rodriguez would be in the fourth starter's spot if he's ready as he continues to recover from off-season knee surgery and left-hander Brian Johnson is preparing to be the fifth starter for now.
In Price's second Grapefruit League start on Tuesday, he pitched five innings and allowed two runs on three hits, walked one and struck out four in the Red Sox' 12-6 victory over the Pirates. Third baseman Rafael Devers, hitting .349 this spring, hit his third home run of the spring. Andrew Benintendi (.405) had a double and two RBI and first baseman Sam Travis drove in three.
Sale had a much rougher outing Monday, giving up four runs on five hits, with three walks and six strikeouts in five innings against the Phillies.
Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are about to go global.
Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy on Monday confirmed the Sox are interested to play the Yankees in London during next year's regular season. Bloomberg reported the clubs are nearing an agreement to play two games there in June 2019. Discussions are indeed taking place, but a deal is not done.
MORE - Sox signal they'll keep Swihart, may trade Marrero or Holt
“We would love to participate in a series in London against the Yankees but this is a decision that MLB and the MLBPA will make," Sox CEO Sam Kennedy said.
Bloomberg reported the games would be played at London Stadium, which was the main facility for the 2012 summer Olympics.
MLB has not played any games in Europe before. The Red Sox have made trips before, including to Japan before the 2008 season.