Red Sox

Drellich: Pedroia unconvincing -- but humorous -- on sign-stealing allegations

Drellich: Pedroia unconvincing -- but humorous -- on sign-stealing allegations

BOSTON — Dustin Pedroia was amusing but unconvincing Wednesday afternoon when addressed sign-stealing allegations involving him and his team.

“I don't have anything to say about anything,” Pedroia said at Fenway Park, as his interview ended. “We're here to play baseball games. We've got a 3 1/2 game lead in our division. Other than that, nobody gives a [expletive]. We're trying to win baseball games."

The Red Sox second baseman did, however, have some things to say before that point, including that he was unaware of the rules for the use of electronic devices.

“I don't really know what the rule book says on that,” Pedroia said. “I know we have iPads in the dugout. So I'm not sure what the — I mean, is that a false thing too? Are we not supposed to have iPads in there?”

Pedroia might have been referencing screenshots Barstool's Dan O'Mara published showing Yankees relievers using iPads to stream games in the bullpen, not the dugout. 

But surely, Pedroia does know the rules on electronic devices at this point, if he didn’t previously. 

The second baseman’s always been sarcastic and dismissive. His on-field dexterity translates in interviews as well. He just doesn’t have much wiggle room here. 

If Pedroia came out and declared his innocence, he’d be taking a big risk if, in fact, he is in the wrong. The New York Times reported the Sox have already admitted to using an Apple Watch to help steal signals. 

From The Times: “Red Sox assistant athletic trainer, Jon Jochim, is seen looking at his Apple Watch and then passing information to outfielder Brock Holt and second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who was injured at the time but in uniform. In one instance, Pedroia is then seen passing the information to Young.”

Was Pedroia up to no good? Well, depends on whom you want to believe.

The second baseman said he was just working on getting himself healthier. That's going to be a hard one to sell.

“[MLB] had a good picture of me, Brock, and CY hanging out though,” Pedroia said. “I do know that. And I was talking to the trainer about what time I'm rehabbing the next day because I'm on the DL, I was on the DL. And they had a nice [picture] of Doug [Fister] with an earpiece in. It was his mouthguard.”

That was a reference to a CSNNE story from Wednesday, which noted that the Yankees complained to MLB because they thought Fister was using an audio device when it actuality he just had his mouthguard around his ear.

“So I mean, it's baseball, man,” Pedroia said. “We already played them 19 times. They beat us how many, 11? They beat us. I'm not going to cry to anybody about it. That's baseball. Right now we're playing the Blue Jays, we're focused on that, and whatever is talked about is talked about. You can't control that. We're just going to try to play the game we love and play to win and that's what our organization does.”

That’s not all the organization does. They countersue. Pedroia, like Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski a day earlier, pointed out there is an investigation looking into the Yankees as well.

“MLB is doing an investigation on both sides,” Pedroia said. “Obviously, I've played against the Yankees for 11 years. It's part of the game, so our adjustment to that stuff is to go out to the mound and change the signs. So, we just keep it at that. It's baseball. It's part of the game. It's been around a long time. 

“I mean, we were [stealing signs] at Douglas Junior High School where I played, so I don't think this should be news to everybody. So whatever MLB [determines], I'm sure it's — I know the players on both sides I'm sure, probably don't think it's from them. But you know, whatever.”

Give the Red Sox time, patience can pay off

Give the Red Sox time, patience can pay off

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — If the lineup looks the same on Opening Day, set off on a tantrum. For now, just keep your anger primed in the queue. Maybe even prepare for an eventuality of relief and excitement.

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski is moving with discipline. Even if some of his process this winter has been questionable, he’s still taking a measured approach rather than setting a match to an already shriveling farm system and payroll. 

Discipline requires waiting, and the lull invites frustration for those who want everything now.

MORE:

“Even though some things are starting to happen, there’s a lot to still be done over the winter time,” Dombrowski said Wednesday.

He’s right.

As a Sox fan, you can’t have it both ways. Either you want Dombrowski to act responsibly with the sustainability of the franchise in mind, or you want all the big names now, now, now — and are keen on an inevitably disastrous roster. 

The Sox have had a lot of big splashes in recent years. They have to move cautiously in waters this deep. As one executive put it recently: “Only horrible organizations keep spending and spending and spending.”

Here’s betting fans will be rewarded this winter with an upgraded lineup to feel good about, even if the Sox haven’t crossed the finish line yet. 

“Every time we have a meeting we talk about [timing]. Some players are going to start signing pretty soon,” Dombrowski said. “And some players that we have interest in, we’ll start signing pretty soon. And if you wait, you lose some players that you may have interest in.”

One thing is for sure — and it appears to be getting lost even with big names like J.D. Martinez and Eric Hosmer still out there — just because the Red Sox haven’t completed a deal, they are doing a ton of work behind the scenes.

"I think we're closer to getting answers on some things,” Dombrowski said Wednesday. “There have been a couple of things, calls we've made and heard from people that have eliminated us and some have kept us in there. But I can't say that I'm any closer to getting things done other than gathering continued information — because I don't know what happens with other clubs. I don't know where they stand with their conversations with other teams. There’s still a lot, so many conversations going on, and a lot of different possibilities, a lot of different trade things happening so I'm not really sure. 

“I think we've got a pulse of what's happening and I don't think anything's happened that's surprised us so far, but there haven't been that many things that have happened either. A lot of relievers have signed, that's been the biggest thing and that hasn't been our biggest thing that we're pursuing.”

(Whether they should be pursuing it with a little more aggressiveness is worth a thought, however.) 

- The Sox were keeping tabs on Marcell Ozuna, the Marlins outfielder who was traded to the Cardinals.

“We asked about him and they called me back beforehand, just to let me know,” Dombrowski said of the Marlins. “So we were in the mix enough to do that.”

Ozuna could have done some DH’ing and also played outfield. Dombrowski noted the Marlins got upper-level pitching in the trade. He didn’t specifically note that the Red Sox don’t have as much upper-level pitching to offer, but that is the case.

- The Sox have talked “generalities” with free agents when it comes to contract terms, Dombrowski said. 

- Dombrowski said bringing back free agent Eduardo Nunez is on his radar.

- Super agent Scott Boras on Wednesday defended J.D. Martinez’s defense, which isn’t generally well regarded. Boras also talked about the "prestige value" of Eric Hosmer, another client.

- Boras said the Red Sox have not told him it’s their intention to trade Jackie Bradley Jr.