Red Sox

'Immature' offensive approach hurts Red Sox

814116.jpg

'Immature' offensive approach hurts Red Sox

BOSTON -- The Red Sox had one more hit than the New York Yankees on Thursday night at Fenway Park, and their starting pitcher did his job. But Boston had nothing to show for it on a night in which the manager called it an "immature" offensive approach against Phil Hughes.
"Hughes pitched up in the strike zone, and we couldn't lay off of it," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine after the loss. "We made a lot of quick outs, swinging at some of those pitches. And, maybe a little immature in our approach at times."
Valentine spoke up and said that he wasn't calling his players immature, but most knew what he meant.
It's been a problem for them all season long. As one Red Sox player said earlier in the year, this team's biggest issue has been its preparedness.
And on Thursday night against Hughes and the Yankees, the Red Sox offense -- without Dustin Pedroia -- looked downright unprepared.
"They were swinging pretty early in the count, at pitches other than their pitch," said Valentine.
After the loss, Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia called the offense's aggressiveness "human nature." But Doubront kept it a scoreless game through three innings, and then kept it a 1-0 game until the seventh. So the Red Sox can't necessarily make the excuse that they had to "battle" from behind.
But that's what Saltalamacchia did.
"I think it's human nature to get aggressive and try to do more than you can, when you're down and you're trying to win," he said. "But, we're just trying to battle right now. We had a pitcher go out there tonight and threw a great game, and we just couldn't get any runs for him. On the other hand, their pitcher went out there and was just throwing strikes."
Strikes that the Red Sox offense -- on Thursday night -- couldn't hit. And that cost Doubront a win.

Report: Ex-Red Sox reliever Reed gets deal with Twins

red_sox_addison_reed_080317.jpg

Report: Ex-Red Sox reliever Reed gets deal with Twins

He was dubbed "Closer B" by Red Sox manager John Farrell when acquired at the trade deadline last summer, now Addison Reed is "Closer B Gone"...to the Twins.

The right-handed reliever, 29, has agreed to a two-year, $16.75 million free-agent deal with Minnesota, pending a physical, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and TheAthletic.com reports. 

Reed began last season with the Mets and had 19 saves and a 2.57 ERA before being traded to the Red Sox, where he had a 3.33 ERA in 29 games (27 innings) without a save as a setup man for Craig Kimbrell.  
 

Red Sox, Mookie Betts far apart on salary and heading toward arbitration

red-sox-mookie-betts.jpg

Red Sox, Mookie Betts far apart on salary and heading toward arbitration

The Red Sox and star right fielder Mookie Betts intend to go to an arbitration hearing in February, and there were signs this was coming even a year ago.

Betts was the only arbitration-eligible player on the Red Sox who did not settle on a contract with the team on Friday, when a deadline arrived for all teams and arbitration-eligible players to exchange 2018 salary figures. Jackie Bradley Jr., Xander Bogaerts and Drew Pomeranz were the biggest names to avoid hearings.

Betts filed for a $10.5 million salary and the Red Sox filed at $7.5 million.  Betts and the Red Sox agreed previously that if no figure could be settled on by the Friday deadline, they would proceed to a hearing, assistant general manager Brian O'Halloran said. 

A three-person panel of arbitrators therefore is set to determine what Betts makes in 2018: either the $7.5 million figure the Sox filed or the $10.5 million figure Betts' camp submitted. The arbitrators won't settle on a midpoint for the parties. 

O'Halloran noted to the Globe there are no hard feelings involved.

Nonetheless, such a large gap would seem to provide incentive to settle. The parties technically could still decide to do so, but that would take a change of course from the present plan. The idea was to settle any time before Friday, and they did not. 

Betts is asking for near-record money for a first-year arbitration eligible player. Kris Bryant set the record Friday with a $10.85 million settlement.

The hearings can be difficult for player-team relations because teams have to make the case in front of the player that he is worth less money than he wants.

Betts, 25, hit .264, with 24 homers, 102 RBI, 25 stolen bases and a .803 OPS in 2017, numbers that fell from his American League MVP runner-up performance in 2016, but were nonetheless very strong and coupled with first-rate defense.

This offseason is Betts' first of arbitration eligibility. In the first three years of service time in a players' career, there's no recourse if you don't like the salary a team is offering. Teams can pay players anything at league minimum or above. 

The only option a player has in those first three years is to make a stand on principle: you can force the team to technically "renew" your salary, which notes to everyone that you did not agree to the salary. Betts and his agents did that in 2017 when the Sox paid him $950,000, a very high amount relative to most contract renewals.

Some of the standard thinking behind forcing a team to renew a contract is that if an arbitration case comes up down the road — and one now looms for Betts — it's supposed to show the arbitrators that the player felt even in seasons past, he was underpaid.

Still, the Sox may have effectively combatted that perception by paying Betts almost $1 million on a renewal. Per USA Today, that $950,000 agreement in 2017 was "the second-highest one-year deal ever for a non-arbitration-eligible player with two-plus years of big league service." Mike Trout got $1 million in 2014.