Red Sox

Luis Tiant returns to Cuba as goodwill ambassador


Luis Tiant returns to Cuba as goodwill ambassador

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- On Sunday night, for the first time in nine years and only the second time since he left the island in 1961, Luis Tiant returns to his native Cuba.

Tiant is part of a group with Major League Baseball on hand to watch the historic two-game series between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Cuban national team in Havana, and, along with fellow Cuban Jose Cardenal, Joe Torre and commissioner Rob Manfred, will serve as a goodwill ambassador on the trip.

What he finds there and how he'll be received is unknown.

What is clear to the 75-year-old Tiant is that it will be vastly different from his last visit, when, on his 67th birthday, he returned home for the first time in 46 years.

In 2007, Tiant, who won 229 games in 19 years in the big leagues -- including 122 with the Red Sox -- spent a week in Cuba, taking part in a documentary (“The Lost Son of Havana”) that was being made about his life and baseball career.

“It was okay,” said Tiant of that trip, unsure how to properly characterize it now, even with the benefit of nearly a decade's hindsight. “The things you see, [compared] to when you left . . . big difference. It felt like a 100 years back in time. Some of the houses looked like demolition derby. Holes in the wall, (potholes) in the street.”

He visited his old neighborhood and barely recognized the house in which he once lived.

Tiant -- along with others such as Cardenal and Tony Oliva - was part of the first wave of baseball players who left Cuba after Fidel Castro came to power. He didn't see his parents for another 14 years, until the late Sen. Edward Kennedy arranged for his parents to visit Tiant in Boston.

He's buoyed by the efforts to normalize relations between the two countries, symbolized by President Obama's visit to Cuba -- in conjunction with the games -- the first by a sitting U.S. president in more than 90 years.

“It should have been done a long time ago,” he said. “I hope it happens quick, and doesn't take another two, three or four years. Do it now. Maybe in another week or month, it will be open for everybody. It's been long enough.”

Even nine years ago, Tiant returned home to discover that many of his childhood friends, with whom he had first played and loved baseball, had passed away.

“You get to that age . . . ” he said wistfully. “You don't know. You don't know how much longer you have. That was in the back of my mind. I wanted to go back, I wanted to see my country. And finally, I did it. I'm glad I had that chance.”

Now that another nine years have passed, there are fewer relatives and old friends with which to visit. He still has three aunts and seven cousins who live in Cuba, most of them about an hour outside of Havana. He hopes to have the opportunity to visit with at least some of them.

“I don't want to see the politicians,” he said. “I want to see the people, see my family, give them some money, talk about the game.”

But no matter, it won't match his return to the island in 2007, which was fraught with apprehension and the unknown.

He recalled approaching Cuba via plane and feeling anxious.

“As we got close, I could see the land,” he said. “I didn't know what was going to happen. But they treated me good. They didn't even open my bags or anything. But I was worried. I got nervous, but it was okay.”

This spring, Tiant has met and talked with fellow Cubans Rusney Castillo, Roenis Elias and Yoan Moncada about his experience and theirs.

“They're good kids,” he said. “I've talked to Castillo the most. He's a good kid. He has respect. I like him. We sit down and talk. It's good.”

If relations are fully normalized between the U.S. and Cuba, Tiant expects the trickle of players from Cuba to the Major League Baseball to turn into a flood.

“There's a lot of good players over there,” he said. “Hopefully, they open it up and it can be like it was before, with players going back in the winter.”

Tiant keeps in touch with family members by phone, though he concedes that sometimes “it tough to get the line. You call and call, and nothing happens.”

But that's better than it once was, when Tiant couldn't communicate by phone at all, and when he did, knew that government officials were listening in, ready to disconnect the call if they heard something they didn't like.

“You couldn't say too much about how they were doing,” he said, shaking his head at the memory. “But it's better now. We'll see what happens. I have to get there first.”   

Kimbrel back in camp, but infant daughter on his mind

USA TODAY Sports photo

Kimbrel back in camp, but infant daughter on his mind

Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel has returned to Fort Myers after spending the past three weeks in Boston, where his infant daughter Lydia has undergone multiple heart surgeries at Boston Children's Hospital.

On Monday, an emotional Kimbrel spoke to reporters in Florida, including The Boston Herald's Michael Silverman, about the ordeal after throwing a batting practice session.  

"We’ll be in and out of Boston Children’s Hospital the rest of her life but for this stay, hopefully, a couple more weeks," Kimbrel said. “She’s in the recovery process but life-threatening wise, she’s in a good place that I can be down here." 

Kimbrel said he and his wife Ashley "can't say enough about how amazing Boston Children's Hospital has been." 

"There's no denying it's been the toughest thing we've ever been through," Kimbrel said.  

"In the last week, her recovery has been unbelievable and she's showing great signs and we're very blessed and we want to thank the Red Sox and Alex [Cora] for understanding they've been through this and working with us," Kimbrel said. 

He said Lydia, born in November, will need another surgery when she's around 3 or 4 years old to help ensure normal development. 

"It's been tough, I can say that. We're definitely, me and my wife, we've had each other and we've had our family, we've had a great support. Everyone is sending out prayers that have definitely been heard. Now, I'm back down here. The other day I threw a live BP up at Babson [College in Wellesley, Mass.], and me and her got to talking and seeing where Lydia is, and how she's progressed, she's in a good, comfortable place for me to be down here. If she wasn't, I wouldn't be here.

"My family comes first and then baseball comes. I have to thank the Red Sox for letting me be there with my family and then helping me continue to prepare while I was at home. Stepping away for a few hours was definitely a release. It did help to get in the weight room. It did help to throw the ball. But that's not going to take away the emotions we went through in the hospital."

Kimbrel said he and his wife talked about how fortunate they were to be in Boston and its world-class healthcare facilities. 

"We believe that everything in life happens for a reason, even if we don't understand it at the time," he said. "There's a lesson to be learned and something to be shared through every step you go through in life. As difficult as this is, and I know it will take time, hopefully, this experience and everything we've been through, we can share that with others, try to impact someone else's life. Because I know for a fact my daughter's going to be able to do that one day."



Kimbrel returns to Red Sox after daughter's heart surgery

File photo

Kimbrel returns to Red Sox after daughter's heart surgery

All-Star closer Craig Kimbrel returned to Fort Myers on Sunday after his 4-month-old daughter underwent successful heart surgery at Boston Children’s Hospital, and the Red Sox are confident he'll be ready for Opening Day.

“Oh, yeah. Plenty,” manager Alex Cora replied when asked if Kimbrel had time to get ready for the March 29 opener against the Rays in St. Petersburg. “With him it’s a different schedule, anyway. He’ll be ready.”

Kimbrel's daughter, Lydia Joy, was born with a heart defect. He left the team Feb. 28 to be with her and his family in Boston, but pitching coach Dana Levangie said Kimbrel was on a pitching program during that time.

“The most important thing is that the family is okay with [Kimbrel returning to the Sox],” Cora said. “If they’re okay with it, we’re okay with it.”