Red Sox

Ortiz excited about Boston’s 'unbelievable future'

Ortiz excited about Boston’s 'unbelievable future'

BOSTON -- David Ortiz displayed excitement for his team and fans with an animated celebration after he reached third base on his game-tying triple in the ninth inning of Saturday’s 6-5 win over Houston.

After making the last out on the previous night against the same Luke Gregerson in another one-run ballgame, Big Papi actually had doubts when he came up Saturday with Xander Bogaerts waiting to be sent home.

“When I was in the on deck [circle] I kind of [felt] the pressure a little bit, for some reason,” Ortiz said. “I was the last out the night before, so I could be last out [again]. So that kind of heated me up a little bit. But then after the first pitch, I was like, ‘You know, whatever. Let me just go back to business and try to get through it.’ Because when you put pressure on yourself you just get worse, it doesn’t do anything better . . . There’s a lot of pressure in the moment, but it’s all dependent on how you handle that.”

All while Ortiz has moments of youthful exuberance and joy, he still feels like he is “the last dinosaur,” -- especially once he reached third base in the ninth.

“Man let me tell you -- it’s a long distance,” Ortiz said on running the 90 feet from second base to third.

However, he’s taken note of his teammates’ impressive play and preparation, particularly the younger stars -- Bogaerts, Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley, Jr.

“I just like watching all of these young kids just be so mature and watching the way they handle the business is something that has been unbelievable to see,” Ortiz explained. “And [for] a guy like me, that’s really good motivation. These kids come in here, in and out everyday, and they just try to get better. It’s something that I love seeing.”

Ortiz spoke on all three, discussing mentioning Bradley’s development through struggles and Betts’ play at only 23-years-old.

But he also mentioned the conversation he had before an at-bat with an opposing catcher earlier in the week about Bogaerts.

“[The catcher] told me ‘That guy, right now, might be the best hitter in the game.’” Ortiz said, referring to Bogaerts. “He said that to me when I was walking to the plate. [Bogaerts] got a two-strike base hit through the middle and [the catcher] said that to me. So when you hear things like that, about a guy two years ago [who] tried to establish himself at this level, is dang good.”

The 20-season veteran expects Boston to find success because of those three for years to come.

“I’m super impressed with these kids,” he said. “This organization has an unbelievable future in their hands right now . . .  I feel like I am with a group of veterans, it’s impressive.”

Red Sox minor leaguer Oscar Hernandez suspended for second positive drug test

Red Sox minor leaguer Oscar Hernandez suspended for second positive drug test

Red Sox minor league catcher Oscar Hernandez has been handed a 50-game suspension for a second positive test for a drug of abuse, our own Evan Drellich reports.

Hernandez signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox in January and currently is on the Triple-A Pawtucket roster. The 24-year-old will be able to return in late May.





Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

File Photo

Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright will be suspended 15 games for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy, NBC Sports Boston has learned. The league is set to make the announcement Friday.

Wright, working his way back from right knee surgery, has to serve the suspension when healthy. Potential time on the disabled list to begin the season would not count. Wright is not expected to appeal.

Wright was arrested at his Tennessee home in December following an incident involving his wife, Shannon. Wright was charged with domestic assault and preventing a 911 call, which are misdemeanors in Tennessee, and released on a $2,500 bond.

The case in December was retired by the Williamson County courthouse. If Wright commits no other offenses for a 12-month span, the charges are expected to be dropped.

Fifteen games matches the lowest suspension MLB has given out in relation to a domestic violence case since the league and players union agreed to a policy in 2015. Mets pitcher Jeurys Familia was suspended 15 games in March 2017.

"It's a situation that, it sucks not only for me, but for my family, for the team," Wright told reporters in Florida on Thursday. "But I try not to think about it. When MLB comes out with their discipline, or if there's going to be discipline or not, it's just going to go from there."

Wright said this spring that he did not harm his wife.

“We’ve been going to counseling. We’ve been working through it,” Wright said. “We’ve been trying to do as much as we can to put it past us, but it’s hard. Because MLB is doing their investigation and it’s in the limelight. It’s really hard on a personal level to get past something that’s constantly being thrown at you. But I did it to myself. It’s one of those things that I’ve got to live with the consequences that came from my actions that night.”