BOSTON David Ortiz was back in the Red Sox clubhouse Thursday afternoon with his right foot encased in a black plastic walking boot, a day after getting a second opinion on his injured right Achilles tendon. The second opinion, he said, confirmed what he had been originally told. The Achilles strain would require him to rest it up and just wait a couple of weeks, get it treated and itll be fine, he said.Ortiz was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Tuesday, a day after suffering the injury when he stepped on second base rounding the bases on Adrian Gonzalezs three-run homer in the eighth inning Tuesday. Ortiz would be eligible to be activated on Aug. 1. He is hopeful that he will need no more time than that.Hopefully, yeah, Ive been feeling better every day, less sore, he said. It seems like were going to be fine.Ortiz traveled to Miami for the second opinion. He and his agent Diego Benz are friends, he said, with Miami Heat owner Micky Arison and used the Heats team doctor.The Sox have had 22 players serve 25 DL stints this season, losing a total of 992 games going into Thursday nights series finale against the White Sox.Its something that weve been dealing with all year long, Ortiz said. One come in, another one get out. It seems like it just it is what it is.Ortiz is batting .316 with 23 home runs and 58 RBI. Prior to the injury he had missed just one game this season.Of course, I want to be on the field like usual, he said. But theres things that you cant really control. And probably thats one of it. So Im a little frustrated, Im not going to lie to you, especially having some guys coming back, the way things are going.Ortiz said he planned to continue getting treatments, and even take batting practice in the cage on Friday, wearing the boot.The doctor he told me yesterday Youre going to be able to take some swings in the boot, Ortiz said. This boot kind of rotates. Its not like the one that I had before last season when he missed nine games from Aug. 16-23 with right heel bursitis that was just like flat-footed. I think Ill be fine.Manager Bobby Valentine was bemused to learn that Ortiz was planning to hit on Friday.Did he say that? Valentine said. He might do something where just balls are coming in and he does something more upper body than in sync with his lower body. Itll be all supervised and regulated Im sure. Just for the eye-hand. I can see that happening.
BOSTON — There is a world outside of Giancarlo Stanton.
Stanton, at this point, simply doesn’t appear likely to end up in Boston. That should feel obvious to those following along, and so should this: it can change.
But there are other pursuits. Besides their search for a bat or two, the Red Sox have been actively pursuing left-handed relief options. Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski is a fast mover, but this year’s market has not been.
MORE RED SOX:
Robbie Ross Jr. and Fernando Abad are both free agents, leaving Robby Scott as the lone incumbent southpaw from last season's primary group. Brian Johnson is bound for the pen, with Roenis Elias as a depth option too. Still, even if Johnson’s transition pans out, the Sox still have an opening for a late-inning reliever with the departure of free agent Addison Reed.
Reed is a righty, but between Matt Barnes, Joe Kelly, Heath Hembree, Carson Smith, and Craig Kimbrel, the Sox have more right-handed choices than left. Coming back from surgery, Tyler Thornburg, should be in the mix eventually too, but it's difficult to expect too much from him.
What the Red Sox should do: sign one of each for the bullpen, one righty, and one lefty. And then trade a righty or two. Turn some of that mishmash into an addition elsewhere. Be creative.
Because inevitably, come midseason, the Sox will want to add another bullpen arm if they sign just one now. Why wait until you have to give up prospect capital when you can just add the piece you want now?
Go get a near-sure thing such as Pat Neshek, a veteran who walks no one and still strikeouts a bunch. At 37 with an outgoing personality, Neshek also brings leadership to a team that is looking for some. He walked just six guys in 62 innings last season. Entering his 12th season in the majors, he’s looking for his first ring.
All these top of the market relievers may be handsomely paid. But relievers are still something of a bargain compared to position players and starting pitchers. One of the key words for this winter should be creativity. If there’s value to be had in the reliever market, capitalize on it.
Comeback kid Mike Minor, Jake McGee and Tony Watson headline the crop of free agent lefties available. Brad Hand of the Padres could also be had by trade but his market isn’t moving too quickly (and he won’t come cheaply).
Minor, 29, who posted a 2.55 ERA in 2017 after health issues kept him out of the majors in 2015-16, is expected to be paid handsomely. He is also open to the idea of potentially starting if a team is interested in him doing so. The Royals reportedly could give him that shot.
McGee’s American League East experience could be appealing.
He's 31 and had a 3.61 ERA with the Rockies in 2017 and has a 3.15 ERA lifetime. He’s not quite the strikeout pitcher he was earlier in his career — he had an 11.6 K/9 in 2015 — but a 9.1 K/9 is still very strong, particularly when coupled with just 0.6 homers allowed per nine.
For what it’s worth: McGee has also dominated the Red Sox, who have a .125 average, .190 on-base percentage and .192 slugging against him in 117 regular-season plate appearances.
McGee throws a mid-90s fastball with a low-80s slider. He can operate up in the zone, and he actually has been even more effective against righties than lefties in his career, including in 2017. McGee’s been a closer, too, with 44 career saves.
The Sox had the second-best bullpen in the majors by ERA in 2017, at 3.07. Yet, come the postseason, there wasn’t a sense of great confidence or even a clear shape to the pecking order behind one of the absolute best relievers in the game, Kimbrel.
Hall of Fame second baseman Joe Morgan is urging voters to keep “known steroid users” out of Cooperstown.
A day after the Hall revealed its 33-man ballot for the 2018 class, the 74-year-old Morgan argued against the inclusion of players implicated during baseball’s steroid era in a letter to voters with the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. The letter from the vice chairman of the Hall’s board of directors was sent Tuesday using a Hall email address.
“Steroid users don’t belong here,” Morgan wrote. “What they did shouldn’t be accepted. Times shouldn’t change for the worse.”
Hall voters have been wrestling with the issue of performance-enhancing drugs for several years. Baseball held a survey drug test in 2003 and the sport began testing for banned steroids the following year with penalties. Accusations connected to some of the candidates for the Hall vary in strength from allegations with no evidence to positive tests that caused suspensions.
About 430 ballots are being sent to voters, who must have been members of the BBWAA for 10 consecutive years, and a player needs at least 75 percent for election. Ballots are due by Dec. 31 and results will be announced Jan. 24.
Writers who had not been covering the game for more than a decade were eliminated from the rolls in 2015, creating a younger electorate that has shown more willingness to vote for players tainted by accusations of steroid use. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens each received a majority of votes for the first time in 2017 in their fifth year on the ballot.
Morgan said he isn’t speaking for every Hall of Famer, but many of them feel the same way that he does.
“Players who failed drug tests, admitted using steroids, or were identified as users in Major League Baseball’s investigation into steroid abuse, known as the Mitchell Report, should not get in,” Morgan wrote. “Those are the three criteria that many of the players and I think are right.”
Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines and Ivan Rodriguez were inducted into the Hall of Fame in July. They were joined by former Commissioner Bud Selig and retired Kansas City and Atlanta executive John Schuerholz, who were voted in by a veterans committee.
Some baseball writers said the election of Selig, who presided over the steroids era, influenced their view of whether tainted stars should gain entry to the Hall.
Morgan praised BBWAA voters and acknowledged they are facing a “tricky issue,” but he also warned some Hall of Famers might not make the trip to Cooperstown if steroid users are elected.
“The cheating that tainted an era now risks tainting the Hall of Fame too,” he wrote. “The Hall of Fame means too much to us to ever see that happen. If steroid users get in, it will divide and diminish the Hall, something we couldn’t bear.”
© 2017 by The Associated Press