CLEVELAND -- David Price waited all winter to make his Red Sox debut. Another 21 hours wasn't about to ruin his day.
"I knew the weather was going to be tough coming into today,'' Price said after the Red Sox opener against the Cleveland Indians was postponed until Tuesday because of extreme cold and the potential for more precipitation, "so it doesn't affect me. I'll be ready tomorrow. [Postponements] are part of it. I knew coming into today that playing today was kind of 50-50. So I'll be ready to go tomorrow.
"I would've loved to have pitched today, but it's probably not the smartest thing.''
If there was a positive associated with the postponement, it's that neither starting pitcher -- Price or Cleveland's Corey Kluber -- had begun to warm up, which might have impacted their availability for Tuesday.
"It's good that they called it early,'' said Price, "knowing what they know. Nobody's wasted and we'll start off (fresh Tuesday).''
"I don't anybody wants to start and stop,'' said John Farrell, "regardless of what game or time of the year. You're sending your No. 1 starter out, for the first time in a Red Sox uniform and this way, based on the weather report, we've got a chance to go uninterrupted at 1 o'clock [Tuesday].''
At the time the game was called off, preciptiation had stopped. But with wind chill expected to drop into the high teens and the chance for additional precipitation possible into the early evening, the decision was made.
"I think it was a combintion of all that we've gone through here,'' said Farrell. "The moisture in the air, the wet grounds, the wind chill, the overall temperature, the fact that (Tuesday will provide) better overall conditions. We wanted to make sure we didn't go through that stop-and-start.''
"I think it was that wind chill,'' said Price. "I think it feels like 17 [degrees] out there and that's how people get hurt. Standing out there the entire time, especially for position players, that's how guys can hurt hamstrings. I was out there for maybe five, six minutes playing catch and my ring finger and middle finger on my left hand, they're still numb right now.''
After the initial disappoint wore off, Price was able to be philosophical about the postponement.
"You've got to be ready for it,'' shrugged Price. "This is the kind of weather you're playing in at the end of September and early October, so you've just got to put mind over matter and tell yourself it's all mental.''
"We're going to be in cold weather,'' Farrell added. "It's something that all of our guys have played in many times before. We're looking forward again to the opportunity to play [Tuesday].''
The only tangible impact on the Red Sox is a slight shift in their pitching plans in Toronto. Had the Sox played Monday, Price would have come back on his fifth day and pitched the middle game against the Blue Jays on Saturday, with Steven Wright going Sunday in the road trip finale.
Now, with Price starting Tuesday, he'll pitch Sunday, while Wright goes Saturday, matched against fellow knuckleballer R.A. Dickey.