BOSTON - Quotes, Notes and Stars from the Red Sox' 7-3 win over Tampa Bay
"He's been very consistent staying out of the middle of the plate. His change continues to refine itself. Knowing we needed a deep start, he gave us everything we could have asked for.'' - John Farrell on starting pitcher Rick Porcello.
"I think you guys can probably see that. Everybody talks about how great his hands are, but really, he's got a great feel for calling games.'' - Porcello, asked about his comfort level with catcher Christian Vazquez.
"That two month span last year was tough, so I'm trying to really condense it down so when the little valleys happen, I'm trying to minimize them as fast as possible.'' - Mookie Betts (two walks, two hits, two RBI, two runs scored) on trying to be more consistent.
"The second time I scored from first, I felt a little tightness there, a little grab. If I feel the same way I feel right now, if John wants to put me in the lineup, I'll be ready to go.'' - Xander Bogaerts, who came out of the game after the sixth inning because of tightness in his left quadriceps
* Xander Bogaerts snapped an 0-for-14 string with two singles.
* In 11 career games against Tampa Bay, Travis Shaw is hitting .405 (17-for-42).
* David Ortiz had three RBI, giving him 1,654 for his career, passing Tony Perez to move into 29th place all-time.
* The two-double game marked his 58th multi-double game, most among active players and third most in Red Sox history over the last 100 years.
* When Corey Dickerson doubled in the fourth inning, it snapped Rick Porcello's string of retiring 23 straight lefty hitters this season.
* The Sox are 11-for-12 in stolen base attempts this season.
1) David Ortiz
The ageless slugger had two doubles and knocked in three runs.
2) Mookie Betts
Broke out of a week-long slump with two walks, a two-run homer, a single, a stolen base, two RBI and two runs scored.
3) Rick Porcello
A night after the bullpen got used up, Porcello gave the Sox seven strong innings, striking out nine along the way.