Quotes, notes and stars from the Rod Sox’ 5-1 win over the San Diego Padres
"He's been amazing. He was consistent all game. It just shows what type of competitor he is. He pitched an amazing game tonight.'' - Chris Young on Clay Buchholz.
"I've been feeling good, been working hard and trying to get back into the swing of things since coming off the DL.'' - Young on his recent outburst.
"Given what Clay has done -- starting the year in the rotation, going to the bullpen, back in the rotation, back to the bullpen and now back to the rotation again -- you have to give him a tremendous amount of credit for the mental preparation and being ready to go.'' - John Farrell on Buchholz.
"I still feel like I can pitch and I can help this team out. Regardless of the role, it's part of the game. When my name's called, I try to give the team the best chance to win.'' - Buchholz on his contributions.
* Yoan Moncada struck out four times and, dating back to Monday, had fanned in seven straight at-bats.
* Red Sox pitchers have posted a 1.47 ERA on the current road trip.
* The Sox enjoyed back-to-back homers in the fourth, the fifth time they've had consecutive homers this season.
* Mookie Betts has reached base safely in the last 24 straight games.
* Betts had two singles, giving him his 58th multi-hit games, most in the big leagues.
* Jackie Bradley Jr. has six RBI in the last six games.
* The win marked the 79th time the Red Sox scored at least five runs, the most of any team in the majors.
* The Sox improved to 13-6 in interleague play this season.
1) Clay Buchholz
Filling in for the injured Steven Wright, Buchholz pitched into the seventh inning, allowing just one run while not issuing a walk. As disappointing as he was in the first half, Buchholz has been quite useful since the All-Star break with a 3.09 ERA.
2) Chris Young
Following up on his homer in the ninth inning Monday, Young had a double, a two-run homer and a run-scoring fielder's choice to help pace the Red Sox offense.
3) Jackie Bradley Jr.
Bradley has been scuffling for a while, but got the Red Sox on the scoreboard with a two-run homer to right. He also walked twice, reaching base a total of three times in four plate appearances.