BOSTON - QUOTES, NOTES and STARS from the Red Sox' 3-0 loss to Tampa Bay:
"He felt a little bit of a grabbing or pinching sensation. Right shoulder impingement is what he's been diagnosed with. Likely that he's going to miss some time.'' - John Farrell on Joe Kelly.
"I thought I was going to be good to go and went out there and tried to step on the gas and nothing came out." - Kelly, who acknowledged he felt some tightness in the shoulder during his pre-game bullpen, but thought he could pitch through it.
"Like my arm completely shut down.'' - Travis Shaw, asked what it felt like when he dealt with a shoulder impingement during winter ball in Puerto Rico in December.
"This is probably the best I've felt as a whole with all my stuff. I just have to figure out how to use it a little better and make better pitches.'' - Matt Barnes, who elevated a curve ball that Kevin Kiermaier hit out in the 10th inning.
* The game marked the first time the Red Sox were shut out by Tampa Bay since Aug. 30, 2014 Tropicana Field.
* The home shutout was the first suffered by the Red Sox since June 4, 2015.
* The Red Sox bullpen registered 12 strikeouts, just the fourth time since 2000 that Red Sox relievers struck out that many in a game.
* Dustin Pedroia (0-for-4) saw his hitting streak end at 10 games and saw his streak of reaching base against A.L. East opponents stopped at 48 games.
* Craig Kimbrel pitched a scoreless ninth, but after 27 straight appearances in which he recorded at least one strikeout, didn't record one.
1) Drew Smyly
The Rays lefty limited the Red Sox to a single hit over eight scoreless innings and retired the final 17 hitters he faced.
2) Kevin Kiermaier
His solo homer in the 10th inning off Matt Barnes snapped a scoreless tie.
3) Heath Hembree
Called up earlier in the day, Hembree made an unscheduled appearance in the first inning when Joe Kelly left with an injury and gave the Sox 3 1/3 innings of scoreless, two-hit relief.