Quotes, notes and stars from the Red Sox’ 3-0 loss to the Dodgers:
*Since the first inning." David Ortiz on when stiffness set in from playing first base.
* “Just tried to bounce it and face the pitcher, but I missed bad.” Rodriguez on the 3-1 pitch he threw to A.J. Ellis that turned into an RBI single -- with the pitcher on deck.
* “He started to stiffen up overall. First time he’s been on the field in nearly a year. But as I mentioned before the game, felt like three or four at-bats today was more beneficial for our team than one potential pinch-hit late in the game.” John Farrell on Ortiz playing first base.
* “Yeah, he made two very outstanding plays. It’s somewhat ironic that he hasn’t been on the play in nearly a year and the first ball that’s put in play is a snare of a line drive on his part.” Farrell on Ortiz’s defense.
* “It was hopeful [to play him the whole game], but you’ve got to monitor ever guy as they go through. And David’s got a unique situation so when he said he was starting to stiffen up, got him off his feet.” Farrell on taking out Ortiz early due to general stiffness.
* “We weren’t able to sustain a rally after that first inning . . . It’s frustrating a little bit, but it’s going to happen -- it’s a long season.” Travis Shaw on the Red Sox offensive struggles Saturday.
* In true Red Sox fashion, the team finds itself 5-5 on their long West Coast road trip -- with one game left in Los Angeles before a scheduled day off on Monday.
* Boston drops to 21- 29 when their opponents score first.
* Aaron Hill’s hitting streak ended at six games after entering the game for David Ortiz in the eighth inning and grounding out to first.
*Mookie Betts extended his hitting streak to eight games with a first inning single. He's 14-for-35 (.400) in that stretch.
1) Adrian Gonzalez
The former Red Sox first baseman didn’t have a hard hit all day, but somehow finished 3-for-4 with a run and an RBI
2) Ross Stripling
Stripling shut down the Red Sox after loading the bases in the first inning, striking out four batters along the way.
3) Kenley Jansen
Jansen faced three batters and struck them all out to earn the save for the Dodgers.