Red Sox

Red Sox activate Andrew Benintendi a day ahead of schedule

Red Sox activate Andrew Benintendi a day ahead of schedule

BOSTON - A day earlier than expected, Andrew Benintendi was activated from the disabled list and put on the Red Sox active roster for Tuesday night.

Benintendi, who sustained a knee sprain last month at Tropicana Field, was previously believed to be on track to come off the DL Wednesday or Thursday.

But the Red Sox liked the way he responded to two days of work -- running and sliding Monday; participation in a simulated game on Tuesday -- and that helped moved up the timetable.

"Our outfield depth is still relatively light,'' said John Farrell. "Today's sim game was more about getting his timing down and seeing some live pitching. He's past the physical tests along the way, even though there was some additional baserunning and sliding.

"So if needed, he's available tonight. After [Monday’s] work, it became a little more apparent that he'd be ready to go today, or at least be available. Brock [Holt] is still dealing with a little bit of a shoulder issue after the silde and the tag [from Edwin Encarnacion in Toronto] the other day [and that was a factor].’’

The Sox were pleasantly surprised that Benintendi was able to come back as quickly as he did after sustaining the injury in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Aug. 24 when he was caught in a rundown between second and third base. He was hitting .324 in 21 games since being promoted to the majors Aug. 2. 

At the time, the Sox were "hopeful'' that he would return before the end of the regular season, but understood that that came with no guarantees.

"I think we all held our collective breath [when it happened],’’ Farrell said.

"Anytime you see an injury in a non-contact play and someone goes down, you fear the worst. [Pawtucket first baseman] Sam Travis went through almost the same dynamic [earlier this year] where there was a rundown and he ends up

tearing his ACL [and lost for the year].

"So when you see someone go down in a heep like that, you fear the worst. Thankfully, he's got youth and maybe some quick-healing on his side. He's wearing a brace to protect himself, but still, with all the work that he's put in and all the tests that we've run him through, he's been given clearance by our medical staff and thankfully he's back at this time. [With] two and a half weeks left in the regular season, this is much earlier than we initially anticipated.''

Chris Young, who had four hits including a homer Monday night, was in the lineup against right-hander Dylan Bundy Tuesday and may continue to get some playing time against some righties.

"One thing we have to keep in mind,'' said Farrell, "is that it's been three weeks since Andrew's been in a game so he's going to have to be worked back in. I will say that there's going to be times when Mookie [Betts] and Jackie [Bradley Jr.] are going to need a day down as well. We'll work to get [him] in.''


As expected, it's Sale, Price and Porcello to start Sox season

As expected, it's Sale, Price and Porcello to start Sox season

New Red Sox manager Alex Cora has announced that, as expected, left-hander Chris Sale will be the Opening Day starter when the Red Sox begin their season nine days from now against the Tampa Bay Rays in St. Petersburg, Fla. David Price will pitch the second game and Rick Porcello the third. 

Cora told reporters in Fort Myers, Fla. that Eduardo Rodriguez would be in the fourth starter's spot if he's ready as he continues to recover from off-season knee surgery and left-hander Brian Johnson is preparing to be the fifth starter for now.

In Price's second Grapefruit League start on Tuesday, he pitched five innings and allowed two runs on three hits, walked one and struck out four in the Red Sox' 12-6 victory over the Pirates. Third baseman Rafael Devers, hitting .349 this spring, hit his third home run of the spring. Andrew Benintendi (.405) had a double and two RBI and first baseman Sam Travis drove in three. 

Sale had a much rougher outing Monday, giving up four runs on five hits, with three walks and six strikeouts in five innings against the Phillies. 



Red Sox, Yankees working to play in London in 2019

Red Sox, Yankees working to play in London in 2019

Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are about to go global.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy on Monday confirmed the Sox are interested to play the Yankees in London during next year's regular season. Bloomberg reported the clubs are nearing an agreement to play two games there in June 2019. Discussions are indeed taking place, but a deal is not done.

MORE - Sox signal they'll keep Swihart, may trade Marrero or Holt

“We would love to participate in a series in London against the Yankees but this is a decision that MLB and the MLBPA will make," Sox CEO Sam Kennedy said.

Bloomberg reported the games would be played at London Stadium, which was the main facility for the 2012 summer Olympics.

MLB has not played any games in Europe before. The Red Sox have made trips before, including to Japan before the 2008 season.