Red Sox

Red Sox evaluating situation after optioning Kelly to Triple A

Red Sox evaluating situation after optioning Kelly to Triple A

BALTIMORE -- Upon further review, the Red Sox can go as long as June 18 before needing a fifth starter again, and indications are they intend to do just that.

The Sox optioned Joe Kelly to Pawtucket minutes after they lost 13-9 to the Orioles here Wednesday night. The night marked the second straight poor start from Kelly. He lasted just 2 1/3 innings and was knocked around for seven runs while walking three.

Manager John Farrell said that the Sox needed a fresh arm -- they got one in replacing Kelly with reliever Noe Ramriez -- and the number of off-days on the schedule allowed for a four-man rotation for the next few turns.

"As we have discussions, (it will be) all internal candidates to choose from,'' said Farrell, "when that need arises. There's no need to pitch anyone on short rest and I think that's the approach we'll go with right now.''

The candidates: Kelly himself, Clay Buchholz, Henry Owens and Roenis Elias.

"We'll take the next two-plus weeks to evaluate all of that,'' Farrell said. "We've got some time here to work through that.''

For the time being, that allows the Sox to carry eight relievers, giving the team a deeper bullpen to lighten the load.

Kelly, meanwhile, noted that he was guilty of dropping his arm slot Wednesday, leading to inconsistent command with his fastball.

But Farrell saw other problems, too.

"In my view of Joe,'' said Farrell, "it's all about the effort and energy level in his delivery. When he first (came back), he wasn't overthrowing the baseball. He had very good command. And then, as that energy climbs, so does the number of balls thrown. It's all about harnessing your energy and your abilities.

That's what continually stressed because when you get quicker to home plate, you ramp up the energy and you're going to be throwing across your body and there's going to be misfires.

"That's what we're battling...We need better. Bottom line.''

Farrell said there are some similarities to last year, when Kelly was also optioned in June to work through things.

"It does center around command,'' Farrell said.


John Farrell joins ESPN’s ‘Baseball Tonight’ as analyst

File Photo

John Farrell joins ESPN’s ‘Baseball Tonight’ as analyst

John Farrell can add another job to his resume.

The former Boston Red Sox manager has joined the crew for ESPN's "Baseball Tonight," according to The Boston Globe. His debut will be on Wednesday for a season-preview show.

The Red Sox fired Farrell on Oct. 11, 2017 despite a second-straight A.L. East crown. Alex Cora will begin his first season in Farrell's old role during the 2018 season.

Farrell added the broadcast work after the Cincinnati Reds hired him as a scout and adviser with a focus on pitching. He interviewed this offseason for the Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals managing jobs, but both teams passed on him.


Red Sox minor league team invites Trump, Biden to settle it in ring

File photos

Red Sox minor league team invites Trump, Biden to settle it in ring

In this corner, the challenger out of Scranton, Pa., Joltin' Joe Biden...In the other corner, straight out of Queens, the President of the United States, Dandy Donald J. Trump!

The venue: LeLacheur Park, Lowell, Mass., home of the Red Sox Class-A affiliate, the Lowell Spinners.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's The Slasher at LeLacheur!

After the former Vice-President told a crowd at the University of Miami earlier this week of the current President, "If we were in high school, I'd take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him, President Trump fired back on Twitter Thursday morning. 

The Spinners, the Sox' short-season New York-Penn League affiliate, have offered to host a boxing match between the Republican President and Democratic former Vice President on Aug. 17 by the flagpole at LeLacheur. Former light-welterweight champ and Lowell native Micky Ward has agreed to referee.

No word yet if Trump, who'll be 72 by then, or Biden, 75, have accepted the invitation.

The Spinners' press release announcing the invitation says that if the two do accept, "the boxing match will take place regardless of the weather, no matter how stormy it may get."