BOSTON - Quotes, notes and stars from the Red Sox' 4-2 loss to the Yankees:
* "It went in the lights, but that's no excuse. I should have caught it.'' - Andrew Benintendi, on losing a line drive in the eighth inning that led to two New York runs.
* "Any loss is tough. I would say this way is a little better than getting the crap beat out of us.'' -Brad Ziegler on another close loss.
* "I'm just really sore. I think I hit the ground too hard, but as the game kept going, I got really, really sore.'' -Hanley Ramirez, who came out of the game with a lower back injury following a collision in the top of the eighth.
* Sandy Leon (single, two doubles) had his fourth game this season with three or more hits.
* David Ortiz collected his 63rd extra-base hit of the season, the most for a player 40 or older in a single season.
* Dustin Pedroia produced his fourth double in the past three games.
* The Red Sox dropped to 0-3-3 in their past six series.
* Since being recalled in mid-July, Eduardo Rodriguez has a 2.80 ERA.
* Hanley Ramirez snapped an 0-for-16 skid at the plate.
* Boston is 4-6 in the month of August.
* The loss was the sixth this season for the Red Sox when leading after seven innings.
* Ortiz scored his 1,391st run, moving into 31st place all-time.
1) Michael Pineda
Pineda seemed to always have baserunners with which to contend, but he continually pitched out of jams and limited the Red Sox to just two runs over six innings.
2) Eduardo Rodriguez
In what was probably his best start of the season, Rodriguez yielded just one run on three hits through seven and continued to dominante the Yankees (career ERA against them: 1.88).
3) Hanley Ramirez
Ramirez halted an 0-for-16 slump with a run-scoring single in the first, then added an RBI double in the fifth, and in the process, knocked in both Red Sox runs on the night.