Jonathan Papelbon will let us know in 24 hours where he would like to continue pitching this season, according to a WEEI.com report.
WEEI.com’s John Tomase reports the decision from the now-free agent former Nationals, Phillies and Red Sox closer will come “in the next 24 hours” and WEEI.com’s Rob Braford says Papelbon is drawing “strong interest” from around the league.
Are the Red Sox interested in a reunion with their all-time saves leader, now 35, who has released by the Nats on Saturday at the pitcher’s request?
Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said Saturday that Papelbon, who would likely fill a set-up role in the struggling Sox bullpen, was “worth investigating.”
Asked about interest in Jonathan Papelbon, Dave Dombrowski responded, "At this point, is worth investigating."— Nick Cafardo (@nickcafardo) August 13, 2016
Papelbon (4.37 ERA) converted 19 of 22 saves for the Nats before being replaced as closer earlier this month when Washington acquired another ex-Red Sox closer, Mark Melancon, from the Pittsburgh Pirates at the trade deadline.