Red Sox

Robby Scott, one year into the big leagues: 'Nothing’s going to stop me'

red_sox_robby_scott_090117.jpg

Robby Scott, one year into the big leagues: 'Nothing’s going to stop me'

NEW YORK — None of the Red Sox September call-ups this year are arriving in the majors for the first time. On Sept. 2, 2016, lefty Robby Scott made his major league debut.

Scott, who made his way to the Red Sox from independent ball in Yuma, Ariz., was a feel-good story last year. But going into spring training, he was far from a guarantee to make the team. Nothing about his career has been anywhere close to a guarantee.

Now the Red Sox' go-to southpaw, Scott reflected on the CSNNE Baseball Show podcast on his first calendar year living the life he dreamed.

Listen here:

It wasn't all roses this year. He was sent to the minors, and not because his performance warranted it, but because of roster crunches. 

Triple-A pitching coach Bob Kipper helped him keep a level head.

"When I got sent down a couple times this year, he’s like, 'This is the reason why you are where you are, is because you’ve overcome that. So what’s going to stop you from keep doing that?' And it’s nothing," Scott said. "The only answer is to that, nothing’s going to stop me. I’m going to keep going out there when I get the opportunity."

The determination in Scott's voice and attitude is hard to ignore. He still gets questions about his independent ball life, and it's not a story he minds discussing over and over.

"To sit back on it and to reflect on it, I do it all the time," Scott said. "Just when I get up and caught up in some moments throughout the season where I may seem to be struggling at little bit and just going back to having fun, and not letting the big picture get in the way of the small picture and enjoying what this opportunity is. 

"I knew it was going to be a long road. Just trying to reflect on the road as much as possible and don’t lose sight of that, because it’s helped me become the person I am, and just become you know a great story, not just for me but for kids coming up. And just realizing that, don’t ever give up on your dreams."

There's a self-assurance for Scott, though. He believed he'd be in this position.

"Because if I didn’t I wouldn’t be here," Scott said. "There’s a lot that goes on in the offseason between the workouts and the preparation, getting yourself ready for the season. And in those days of the offseason and spring training it becomes repetitive, it becomes a challenge to motivate yourself. The motivation is why we’re here, and the motivation is to be a part of this organization that is expected to win on every single night. 

"And that’s something that I strive for and that’s something I live for, and I don’t ever take for granted. So to answer your question, yeah, I absolutely imagined being here and being grateful for the opportunity. Because there’s probably many many other ways they could have went, you know coming down the stretch last year. Did I earn the opportunity? Yeah, probably but they didn’t have to — it wasn’t given, it was earned. And you know I’m forever and extremely grateful for just having the opportunity."

 

Scratch another Red Sox' target - Santana goes to Phillies

Scratch another Red Sox' target - Santana goes to Phillies

The Red Sox options for a power bat grew fewer and likely more expensive Friday when former Cleveland Indians first baseman Carlos Santana agreed to a three-year, $60 million contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. 

Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com and MLB Network was first to report the Santana deal, which comes as somewhat as a surprise with the rebuilding Phillies making a free-agent splash.  

The Red Sox reportedly met with Santana earlier this offseason. Alex Speier of the Boston Globe reported that the Sox offered a three-year deal to Santana that wasn't in the range of the Phillies. 

He doesn't hit for a high average (.249 career), but his combination of power and walks gives him a career OPS of .810. Last season he hit .259 with 23 homers and 79 RBI and an .818 OPS, and over his career, he has averaged 25 home runs and 85 RBI over 162 games. 

That Santana was able to command a $20-million-a-year deal from the Phillies likely raises the price of the other power bats the Sox had reportedly targeted, J.D. Martinez and Eric Hosmer. 

 

Report: Red Sox aiming to sign both J.D. Martinez and Eric Hosmer

adobe_spark_49.jpg

Report: Red Sox aiming to sign both J.D. Martinez and Eric Hosmer

While the Red Sox’ interest in free agents J.D. Martinez and Eric Hosmer has been well-documented, it may not be a one-or-the-other situation. 

According to the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman, Boston’s intention is to sign both Martinez and Hosmer in an effort to strengthen an offense that finished last in the American League in home runs in 2016. Though Dave Dombrowski declined to comment on any and all free agent discussions, Silverman wrote that the team’s “goal is to sign them both.” 

Martinez, 30, has seen his power numbers fluctuate throughout his career. He belted 29 homers in 62 games after getting traded to the Diamondbacks last season to finish the campaign with a career-best 45 homers between Detroit and Arizona. His previous career-high in home runs was 38, which he hit in 2015 with the Tigers. 

The 28-year-old Hosmer, who has played his entire career with the Royals since being drafted third overall by them in 2008, hit .318/.385/.498 last season with 25 homers and 94 RBI. He’s hit 25 home runs in back-to-back seasons; they are the only two seasons of his seven-year career in which he’s hit 20 or more.
 
Silverman estimates that signing both players could cost as much as a combined $450 million.