Fallen Bruins ignoring traditional Thanksgiving benchmark


Fallen Bruins ignoring traditional Thanksgiving benchmark

Thanksgiving has been an early benchmark for every NHL team over the last 10 years.

The numbers are tried and true: Teams in one of the playoff positions on Turkey Day have a 75 percent chance of making the postseason. Teams within a few points of a playoff spot have close to a 25 percent chance. And teams more than five points out of the playoffs on Thanksgiving are on the NHL’s slow boat to nowhere.


The Bruins currently rank 14th among the 16 Eastern Conference teams and are four points behind the Islanders for the eighth and final playoff spot. They're now facing a three-game West Coast road trip that could drop them further behind.

Clearly, the B's know how critical the next few weeks are, even though we’re little more than a month into a new regular season.

“This is where you need to come through and really play hard,” said Matt Beleskey. “Guys like myself need to start chipping in and helping us win some games. It’s so tight every year, but there are games [that really matter] at the beginning of the year when you’re not even thinking playoffs. Then at the end you realize how important every single game is.”

A swing through Anaheim, Los Angeles and San Jose usually brings the Bruins to their knees during the best of times, but it’s difficult to envision them being all that competitive without David Backes, Ryan Spooner, Adam McQuaid, Brad Marchand, Anders Bjork and David Krejci for at least a portion of the trip.

But since the Bruins have yet to field their full lineup once all season,  Bruce Cassidy isn’t putting much weight behind the B’s status on Thanksgiving this time around.

“We’re aware of the stats and the data around [Thanksgiving], so we want to be mindful of it . . . but we can’t let it run the show so to speak,” said Cassidy. “The message as a group is that we have to ‘trust the process.’ If we trust the process and play the right way, then we believe that we’ll get enough points. It might not be that way on Nov. 24, but that’s just the way we feel.

“Given the amount of adversity that we’ve dealt with, I think we’re going to have to let the Thanksgiving thing go a little bit. Hey, we don’t even know what our true team looks like right now to be honest with you. So I don’t think it’s even fair to use that [Thanksgiving] benchmark to say we’re not good enough. That’s how we look at it. The data matters, but the process matters and is equally important.”

It's understandable that the B's -- having lost six of their last eight with a depleted, rag-tag roster -- would feel that way. And perhaps they have a few pleasant surprises in store.

But it certainly sounds and feels like they're going to need a long run of winning, high-performance hockey for them to get where they want to be going.


Bruins resiliency on full display in third-period comeback vs Stars

AP Photo

Bruins resiliency on full display in third-period comeback vs Stars

GOLD STAR: Every once in a while Brad Marchand wills the Bruins to a win that they probably wouldn’t have otherwise had, and that happened again on Friday night with a three-point explosion for No. 63 in the final 20 minutes. Marchand finished with a goal and three points in 19:57 of ice time along with a plus-2 rating, and played a key role in the three-goal outburst that allowed the B’s to vanquish a 2-0 deficit. It was Marchand that opted not to shoot from the face-off dot with a look at the net in the closing seconds, and instead dropped it down low to David Pastrnak as he curled around the net and pushed a puck past Kari Lehtonen for the game-winner. Marchand finished with two shots on net, eight total shot attempts and a number of big plays in the third period redirecting pucks in close, kicking off shorthanded scoring plays and then setting up clutch game-winners in the final 15 seconds of the game. It’s the kind of night where Marchand played like an MVP even if he isn’t going to get much of a sniff at the Hart Trophy. 

BLACK EYE: Jamie Benn scored a shorthanded goal for the Dallas Stars, but he also jumped up in the air and clobbered Brad Marchand from behind with a completely unnecessary hit in the third period that went without a penalty being called. Instead it seemed to incense Marchand, who never gave up in the final sequence and ultimately fed a pass to David Pastrnak down low for the game-winner with just 11.1 seconds remaining in the game. Benn finished a minus-2 for Dallas while being on the ice for a pair of goals against, had a brutal 1-for-7 performance in the face-off dot and really acted like a punk on the play with Marchand in the third period. Benn is a better player than that and shouldn’t be resorting that level on a fellow star player like Marchand. 

TURNING POINT: Once again the Bruins really turned things around in the third period while outscoring the Stars by a 3-0 margin, and really flooding the Dallas net with 10 of their 36 shots on net for the night. It all started with a relentless shift from Boston’s top line where Riley Nash made a pass from his knees before taking a big hit, and then Brad Marchand redirected a David Pastrnak shot from the slot off his leg and into the net for Boston’s first goal. That first score finally allowed the Bruins to begin building some momentum, score each of the next two goals as the game slipped away from Dallas and once again proved themselves as a hockey club that one doesn’t ever doubt in the third period. 

HONORABLE MENTION: Tuukka Rask had a career-high 40 saves and turned away some really good looks from the Dallas offense while showing exactly what the Bruins can be capable of when their goaltending is on point. The only goals that beat Rask were a first period score with droves of traffic in front of the net, and a second period shorthanded score for Jamie Benn where he pulled one of those unconventional finishing moves on Rask at the very end. Rask made 11 saves on the Dallas power play alone during a trio of PP chances, and made a crucial leg pad save on Antoine Roussel in the third period that helped open things up for the goal-scoring outburst late in the game. Hopefully the strong, resounding performance from Rask answers some of the questions about some of his recent so-so performances between the pipes.   

BY THE NUMBERS: 29 – the number of goals this season for David Pastrnak as he readies to become only the ninth Bruins player to hit the 30-goal plateau in back-to-back seasons over the last 35 years of franchise history. 

QUOTE TO NOTE: “Resiliency. We didn’t want to go quietly for sure. We can live with the end result as long as we play the right way. The end result went our way again in the end, and I think that’s a credit to the guys.” –Bruce Cassidy to NESN about another comeback win for the Black and Gold.

Pastrnak scores with 12 seconds left to lift Bruins over Stars, 3-2

AP Photo

Pastrnak scores with 12 seconds left to lift Bruins over Stars, 3-2

DALLAS - David Pastrnak broke a tie with 12 seconds left and the Boston Bruins scored three straight goals in the third period to rally past the fading Dallas Stars 3-2 on Friday night.

A scramble followed a faceoff in the Dallas end, and Brad Marchand passed to Pastrnak in front. While falling down, he put the puck past Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen.

TALKING POINTS: B's resiliency on full display vs Stars

Tuukka Rask made a season-high 40 saves for the Bruins. Marchand scored Boston's first goal and also assisted on a short-handed goal by Tim Schaller that tied it midway through the third period.

The second-place Bruins won for the first time in three games (1-0-2) to move within four points of Atlantic Division leader Tampa Bay. Boston has already clinched a playoff berth.

The Stars are winless in their last seven games (0-5-2). They remained four points behind Colorado for the second Western Conference wild card.

Dallas led 2-0 on a first-period goal by Esa Lindell and Jamie Benn's short-handed score late in the second.

In the third, Marchand tipped in a shot by Pastrnak before Schaller scored on a 2-on-1 with Marchand.

Lehtonen finished with 33 saves.

Lindell scored 2:26 into the game. Jason Dickinson tried to deflect a shot from the right point into the net but the puck went wide right. Curtis McKenzie picked it up behind the goal line and passed to Lindell high in the left faceoff circle. His wrist shot went in off Rask's right arm.

Benn missed two good scoring opportunities early in the second period, but connected at 19:22. He took a pass from Tyler Seguin at the Dallas blue line and had a breakaway when Matt Grzelcyk fell down. Benn slid a backhand under Rask.