From Comcast SportsNetWASHINGTON (AP) -- Reliever Rafael Soriano and the Washington Nationals reached agreement pending a physical on a 28 million, two-year contract that includes 14 million in deferred money, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday.Speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet official, the person said Soriano's contract contains a 14 million option for 2015 that would become guaranteed if he reaches 120 games finished over 2013 and 2014 combined.Soriano, who turned 33 in December, would join a Nationals bullpen that already includes Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard. Both of those right-handers closed games for the NL East champions last season.The Soriano-Nationals negotiations were first reported by Yahoo Sports.A one-time All-Star, Soriano had 42 saves and a 2.26 ERA for the AL East champion New York Yankees last year while filling in for injured closer Mariano Rivera, who plans to return from a knee injury in 2013.Soriano decided in October to decline a 14 million option for 2013, taking a 1.5 million buyout from the Yankees and entering free agency instead.Washington will lose its first-round draft pick in this year's amateur draft, while the Yankees will gain an extra pick after the first round as compensation for losing Soriano.The righty signed his old contract with the Yankees after saving a career-high 45 games for Tampa Bay in 2010. Soriano began his tenure in New York as a setup man, and ended up getting the bulk of his work in the seventh inning in 2011. But he wound up taking over as the closer after Rivera was hurt.In 11 major league seasons, Soriano is 15-24 with 132 saves and a 2.78 ERA with four teams, including the Seattle Mariners and Atlanta Braves.Notes: The Nationals announced they agreed to terms with LHPs Fernando Abad, Bill Bray and Brandon Mann, RHP Ross Ohlendorf and INF Will Rhymes on minor league contracts with invitations to spring training. ... Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring training in Viera, Fla., by Feb. 12. Position players report Feb. 15. The first full-squad workout is Feb. 17.
BOSTON – At the end of the day, it was simply a game where the Bruins allowed themselves to get outworked in the third period and overtime.
The B’s held a three-goal lead in the second period and still enjoyed a two-goal lead in the third period, but eventually dropped a frustrating, futile 5-4 overtime loss to the Buffalo Sabres at TD Garden on Saturday night. It was clear to most speaking after the game that the Bruins eased up on the gas pedal once they’d scored their fourth goal of the game in the second period, and simply watched as the Sabres stomped all over them in the game’s second half.
“I think we might have been a little bit too scared to play [in the third period], you know? We tried to just flip the pucks away, and didn’t make any plays trying to get it in the zone. Instead we should have just kept going like we did in the first two periods,” said David Pastrnak, who scored a pair of goals early in the loss to allow the Bruins to build up the three-goal lead. “Obviously we’re disappointed. We got one point. I think we didn’t play our game in the third period. We kind of stopped playing and they were all over us, and you know, it’s on us. We were the ones that gave them their point, but the first two periods were good. It’s just another learning session.”
To Pastrnak’s point, the Bruins were outshot by a 15-6 margin in the final 20 minutes of regulation and 21-6 overall in the third period and overtime prior to Ryan O’Reilly’s game-winner during 3-on-3 play. It was at this point the Bruins certainly missed stalwart stay-at-home defensemen Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller in the D-zone, and fell short of qualified penalty killers while trying to burn off a Brandon Carlo interference call at the end of the third period.
All of that caught up to them once the Bruins loosened their grip on the Sabres, but certainly the feeling is that the loss should’ve been avoidable even if some of the circumstances made it difficult for the Black and Gold. It also should have been avoidable against a Sabres hockey club that was dreadful last season, and is again one of the doormats in the Atlantic Division in the early going thus far.
“Those are the games you can’t lose. We obviously didn’t do the job there in the third and close it out, but we’re going to have to regroup and work on our game and be better for the next one,” said Brad Marchand. “We didn’t play the game we needed to play. We relaxed a bit and we started losing a few battles in the wrong areas, and you know, they just played better than we did.”
It’s mystifying that any team would need a crash-and-born loss like Saturday night in order to learn any lessons moving forward, and it certainly might have been a different story for the Bruins if they weren’t missing a few big defensive pieces. But that’s not how it went down for the Black and Gold as they sagged under rising pressure from the Sabres, and simply stopped working when the chips were on the table late in Saturday night’s game.