The New York Jets have informed cornerback Darrelle Revis that he will be released.
“Darrelle Revis is one of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform,” said Jets owner Woody Johnson in a team statement. “His combination of talent, preparation and instincts is rare and helped him become one of the most dominant players of his generation. I appreciate Darrelle’s contributions to this organization and, wherever his career takes him, his home will always be here with the Jets.”
Revis is facing charges of aggravated assault, robbery, conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and terroristic threats following an altercation in Pittsburgh earlier this month.
“When you're dealing with a player of Darrelle's caliber, these decisions are extremely hard to make,” said Jets GM Mike Maccagnan. “We all have a great deal of respect for Darrelle and the significance of his time with the Jets cannot be overstated. He provided an example of how a pro should approach his craft and established his place in NFL history as one of the best at his position.”
Revis signed a five-year, $70 million contract ($39 million guaranteed) after he won the Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in 2014. He was scheduled to make $15 million, including a $2 million roster bonus next season.
The 31-year-old will be a free agent on March 9 when the new league year begins.