FOXBORO -- The Patriots took the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium on Wednesday without three starters.
Marcus Cannon, Chris Hogan and Malcom Brown were all missing from the start of the workout, which was the team's second of the week. Cannon has an ankle injury, which he aggravated against the Chargers in Week 8. Hogan is dealing with a shoulder issue that occurred at the end of the win over the Chargers two weeks ago. Brown has an ankle ailment, and he has not practiced since suffering the injury in the second half against the Falcons in Week 7.
- Midseason Report Card: Trending upward
- What's old is new again with Osweiler back at QB for Broncos
- WR Dorsett still waiting for production to arrive
How would the Patriots fill in if they were to be without any of those three for this weekend's game in Denver?
* LaAdrian Waddle would likely be the choice to play right tackle should Cannon miss time. He subbed in for Cannon against the Chargers and performed admirably, according to offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia. Waddle and Cameron Fleming are the team's two swing tackles, but Waddle has earned the nod over Fleming most recently.
* If Hogan can't play, that could mean more work for Phillip Dorsett. The former Colts wideout has drawn solid reviews from both Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels this week, and because the Patriots lean so heavily on their 11-personnel packages that could mean Dorsett finds himself heavily involved as the team's No. 3 receiver.
* Brown missed the win over Los Angeles, leaving more work on the interior of the defensive line for Lawrence Guy and Alan Branch. The Patriots recently signed Ricky Jean-Francois to their active roster, and he could provide some interior presence for Belichick and Matt Patricia moving forward.