Red Sox

David Ortiz on slow offseason: 'Who the hell is going to play?'

red_sox_david_ortiz_042816.jpg

David Ortiz on slow offseason: 'Who the hell is going to play?'

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — Red Sox Winter Weekend began Friday night with most current players lining up on a stage at Foxwoods, ahead of a town hall discussion with fans.

Something was obviously missing: a marquis addition, or any addition at all, really, aside from new manager Alex Cora.

MORE - Return to health may mean return to form for Bradley

Before the town hall began, chairman Tom Werner offered the media something that sounded like assurance the assembly of players Friday will be supplemented come Opening Day.

“We’re going to make some more moves this offseason,” Werner said. “So, again, I’m not worried so much about where we are on January 17 as where we are on April 1.”

Werner even dangled a carrot of specificity.

“We are in active negotiations with J.D. Martinez,” Werner said. “People know about that. It takes two to make a deal. I can only speak for the Red Sox, we’re going to have — we will most definitely have the highest payroll that we’ve ever had and you know other teams have to make their own decisions but we expect to be competitive and we expect to improve from our team last year.”

Asked if there was momentum with Martinez, Werner went no further.

“I don’t want to get too into the free-agent discussions,” Werner said. “We’re hopeful to make a deal, but as I’ve said, it takes two people to make that deal.”

Later, it took only a couple questions from fans for Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to be asked where the 2018 Sox would get their power from. Other fans had similar questions about the pace of the offseason and the competition’s improvements.

“The players want more money than the clubs have been willing to offer,” Dombrowski said. “If you want to play, it’s going to change, and I think it’s going to change very quickly.”

As Dombrowski said at a different point in the night: “the ice is going to melt, and it is going to move very fast.”

David Ortiz, speaking to the media alongside Pedro Martinez, has been a busy man in retirement. But he’s noticed the crawl of free agency.

"I'm just wondering, who the hell is going to play this season?” Ortiz said. “Because nobody has signed yet. I'm wondering, what's going on? It's pretty much everybody. I have tons of guys, a friend of mine [who I asked], did you sign yet? Nope. It's almost spring training, bro. What's the deal?' That’s a question you guys should ask the owners.”

Gathered media indeed asked Werner about the pace of free agency.

“I can only speak for the Red Sox,” Werner said. “We’re going to have — we will most definitely have the highest payroll that we’ve ever had, and you know other teams have to make their own decisions, but we expect to be competitive and we expect to improve from our team last year.”

Martinez and Ortiz stopped short of saying the Sox had to add a bat, but they were naturally supportive of an addition like Martinez.

“You always need a bat like that,” Ortiz said. “A bat like that is never a waste.”

Martinez suggested Ortiz would need to come back if Martinez. 

“I was just talking to David, if we don't happen to get one of those big bats, I'm going to get you some lighter bats,” Martinez said. “And I don't know who's going to make those shoes [to keep you healthy], but we've got to make those shoes.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Sources: Red Sox, J.D. Martinez still negotiating Monday

Sources: Red Sox, J.D. Martinez still negotiating Monday

FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox and J.D. Martinez remained in negotiation on Monday, sources said.

There was no indication a deal was nearing as of early Monday afternoon, but the sides continue to talk. The industry belief has long been that the Sox are Martinez's most logical landing spot, but a source said there are alternatives.

MORE RED SOX

The Red Sox braintrust was together Monday morning and midday at JetBlue Park, with both principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner on hand.

Werner in January confirmed the Sox were in active negotiations with Martinez. On Monday, he deferred questions to Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. 

“I think you should talk to Dave about that,” Werner said. “Obviously there’s no news, but I think you should ask Dave that question."

MORE ON NBCSPORTSBOSTON.COM

Werner and Henry both said they were bullish on the Sox if they do not sign Martinez. Werner was asked whether the Sox have an obligation to improve last year’s team with outside help. Right now, the team is virtually identical.

“We have an obligation to try to win the World Series every year,” Werner said. “Sometimes you go in one direction, sometimes you go in another direction. We’re not ceding first place to anybody. Obviously, we have to be better in the playoffs. As John said, we think our approach is better this year and we think we’re going to have if not the highest payroll in baseball, one of the two or three highest payrolls in baseball. We have a great general manager and a great team to figure out how to deploy it and we certainly feel like we’re moving forward.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

John Henry points to coaches as notable change: "Who did we bring back?"

John Henry points to coaches as notable change: "Who did we bring back?"

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Change your approach and change your coaches, just not your lineup.

Red Sox owner John Henry on Monday said that the Red Sox have, in fact, changed ahead of 2018 despite adding no new players from the outside to their major league roster.

“From my perspective, people have talked about [how with the roster] we haven’t made a lot of changes in the last year,” Henry said. “In my mind, we’ve made significant changes to address some of the things that were brought up. I do think we had issues last year that … and we’ve addressed those changes.”

MORE RED SOX

Henry pointed to the coaching staff under Farrell, and the approach at the plate the group fostered. Although Henry did not mention former hitting coach Chili Davis by name, the offense was his charge — and the charge of assistant hitting coach Victor Rodriguez as well. That duo in 2016 presided over the best offense in baseball before a drop-off in production arrived in 2017, when David Ortiz was gone.

“We’ve made a lot of changes other than just the managers,” Henry said. “You haven’t noticed? I think, who did we bring back? Dana [LeVangie], I think. Anyone else? I’m just saying, from my perspective at least, we’ve made a lot of changes. I think our approach last year was lacking offensively and we had issues that the players have already talked about. I don’t really need to talk about it, but I agree with what’s been said. But I don’t agree that we haven’t really made much in the way of changes. I think these were significant changes.”

Red Sox chairman Tom Werner chimed in at that point attempted to diffuse some of the attention being placed on the notion of approach. 

“It wasn’t just that,” Werner said. “It’s an easy thing to say but health is so important. We had that first game in Houston, and both [Xander] Bogaerts and [Dustin] Pedroia were banged up and [Eduardo] Nunez gets hurt. So, you know, we talked to Alex Cora later about sort of what it was like facing the Red Sox from across the diamond and they were confident that they could beat us because we just weren’t at peak health. I’ll take my chances again this year if our team is healthy.”

MORE RED SOX

Asked if a change at manager was considered, Henry pointed to how onerous a task that can be in season.

“I think for somewhat obvious reasons,” Henry said. "I mean it’s just, these things happen generally — you can’t make wholesales changes during a season. I mean you can, but, we still won the division. I think if we had been healthy, that would’ve been [inaudible] we could’ve done better in the playoffs. I think as time went on, again it wasn’t just approach. There were other issues — and, there were other issues and I think we’ve addressed those. I think we will address those. They’ve been addressed.”

The mix of players were not one of the elements that needed to be addressed.

"No, I think we have the right team," Henry said. "I thought people don’t like us apparently saying we won the division the last two years but we have the best offense in the American League the year before last. We had significant pitching that was injured last year. I think we are very strong and people are highly underrating this team. If we have the right approach, I think we’ll be very successful.” 

MORE ON NBCSPORTSBOSTON.COM

Henry threw a bone to Farrell in the closing comments of the interview, in response to a question about what Alex Cora brings.

“I know I’ve spoken about things we wanted to change from last year,” Henry said. “Under John Farrell we had tremendous success, he was a great manager for us. But, there came a point where we felt we really needed to change directions and make a change and we did. But he still did a terrific job for us.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE