Red Sox

Report: Dombrowski confirms Red Sox ‘interest’ in Ohtani

japanese-baseball-shohei-otahni-120117.jpg

Report: Dombrowski confirms Red Sox ‘interest’ in Ohtani

MLB cleared the way for all 30 teams to bid on Japanese two-way star Shohei Otahni and the Red Sox have interest, Dave Dombrowski confirmed to the Boston Herald.

“Would acknowledge our interest,” Dombrowski texted The Herald’s Michael Silverman. “Beyond that, all would be confidential.”

MORE RED SOX:

The revised system allowing for the posting of Otahni, 23, who was equally adept in Japan as both a left-handed hitter and right-handed pitcher in Japan (2.52 career ERA, 30 homers last season), was announced by MLB after it reached an agreement with the players union and Japanese baseball.  

Ohtani representatives asked all major league teams to answer a questionnaire outlining the reasons Ohtani should play for them. 

Teams interested in signing him are limited to the amount they have available in their international bonus pools. According to the Associated Press, the Texas Rangers have the biggest available allotment at $3.535 million, followed by the New York Yankees at an even $3.5 million. Ohtani must be signed by an MLB team before midnight, Dec. 22 and his Japanese team, the Nippon Ham Fighters, will receive a $20 million release fee. 

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE


 

Twitter reacts to Red Sox signing J.D. Martinez

Twitter reacts to Red Sox signing J.D. Martinez

Here's how Twitter reacted to the Boston Red Sox finally signing J.D. Martinez. The slugger agreed to a five-year, $110 million deal, according to multiple reports.

As you could imagine, the reaction on social media was somewhat tumultuous among Sox fans.

Source: Red Sox sign J.D. Martinez

Source: Red Sox sign J.D. Martinez

UPDATE: J.D. Martinez has signed with the Red Sox, as first reported by ESPN's Pedro Gomez and confirmed by an NBC Sports Boston source.

More details as they come available...

ORIGINAL STORY: FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox and J.D. Martinez were nearing a deal on Monday evening, a baseball source told NBC Sports Boston.

Multiple sources earlier Monday said the Sox and Martinez were in active negotiation. The industry belief has long been that the Sox are Martinez's most logical landing spot.

MORE - John Henry: We've made a lot of changes

“Other than to say we remain interested, do not have anything else to add,” Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said by email Monday afternoon.

The Red Sox braintrust was together Monday morning and midday at JetBlue Park, with both principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner on hand.

Werner in January confirmed the Sox were in active negotiations with Martinez. On Monday, he deferred questions to Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. 

“I think you should talk to Dave about that,” Werner said. “Obviously there’s no news, but I think you should ask Dave that question."

Werner and Henry both said they were bullish on the Sox if they do not sign Martinez. Werner was asked whether the Sox have an obligation to improve last year’s team with outside help. Without Martinez, the team is virtually identical.

“We have an obligation to try to win the World Series every year,” Werner said. “Sometimes you go in one direction, sometimes you go in another direction. We’re not ceding first place to anybody. Obviously, we have to be better in the playoffs. As John said, we think our approach is better this year and we think we’re going to have if not the highest payroll in baseball, one of the two or three highest payrolls in baseball. We have a great general manager and a great team to figure out how to deploy it and we certainly feel like we’re moving forward.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE