The San Francisco Giants and Miami Marlins are “likely at least close to agreeing” on a trade that would send slugger Giancarlo Stanton to San Francisco, but Stanton, of course, would have to OK the deal, Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com and the MLB Network reported.
Ken Rosenthal of the MLB Network and TheAthletic.com reported that Giants executives met with Stanton on Thursday in Los Angeles to sell Stanton, the NL MVP and major league home run leader last season with 59, on the deal and get him to waive his no-trade clause.
The Giants have reportedly offered second baseman Joe Panik, as well as top prospects Tyler Beede, a right-handed pitcher, and Chris Shaw, a first baseman, in their initial offer. The Giants are also willing to pay a “substantial portion” of the $295 million Stanton is due over the next 10 years, Heyman reported.
Stanton, from the Los Angeles area, was said to be interested in going to his hometown Dodgers or the Giants. The Red Sox, thought to be in on Stanton trade discussions earlier this week, have been termed “an extreme long shot” to land him, a source told NBC Sports Boston Red Sox Insider Evan Drellich.
The Red Sox have reportedly turned their attention to a trade for Chicago White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu.
LOS ANGELES - Matt Kemp is returning to the place where he began his major league career, reacquired by the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday as part of a five-player trade with the Atlanta Braves that sent former Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez from L.A. to Atlanta.
The Dodgers sent Gonzalez, oft-injured starting pitchers Scott Kazmir and Brandon McCarthy, infielder Charlie Culberson and cash to Atlanta for the 33-year-old Kemp. Gonzalez then was designated for assignment by the Braves.
After sitting on the sidelines during the recent winter meetings, the Dodgers moved quickly to dump nearly $50 million in salary committed to Gonzalez, Kazmir and McCarthy for 2018. Kemp is owed about $43 million over the next two seasons. Click here for more.
Free agent slugger J.D. Martinez has told the Red Sox he would DH and play the outfield for them, a baseball source said Friday. The flipside: teams are offering Martinez a full-time outfield job, and he enjoys playing the outfield.
Martinez, the best bat available via free agency, visited with teams at the winter meetings this week.
Michael Silverman of the Herald wrote Friday that Martinez has been telling teams he prefers to play the outfield, and suggested the Sox will have to pay a bit more to land Martinez.
“Martinez remains open to being a DH so his preference to play defense regularly does not eliminate the Red Sox from signing Martinez,” Silverman wrote. “It does, however, put them in a position of having to make an aggressive offer that would distance themselves from competing offers where teams can present a corner outfield position.
“Just what defines aggressive is something only Martinez and his agent Scott Boras will ultimately determine.”
The market could start to move a bit now, although that doesn’t mean anything is necessarily imminent. Another baseball source on Friday night noted that the market has started to thaw with Carlos Santana off the board. He agreed to a three-year, $60 million deal with the Phillies.
The Red Sox made an offer for Santana, but the offer made clear that Santana was not their primary choice. In other words, it wasn't close to what Santana ended up with.
A scenario in which Jackie Bradley Jr. is traded to make room for Martinez in the outfield seems reasonable, even if the Red Sox and Boras, who represents Bradley, have both downplayed that possibility.