Red Sox

Talking about our issues

692754.jpg

Talking about our issues

The Red Sox finally got a win last night. In the process, they mercifully pumped the breaks on their season-long losing streak and forced the vultures to find something else to bitch about for the next 24 hours.

Shhh, everybody listen for a second

You hear that?

Silence.

God, it's a beautiful. Now let's just hope the Sox can string together a few more wins, so we can keep this going.

To be honest, that's what this season has become for me. I'm not only rooting for the Sox for the obvious reasons, but also to spite the bitter crazies who are so obsessed with stirring the pot. Who aren't happy until they've turned every little thing into really big thing, and ruin the experience for everyone else. I'm sick of it.

Blah.

Anyway, the latest source of drama is surrounding Buster Olney's repeated claims that there's trouble in the Sox clubhouse. And you know, if it was anyone else (EXCEPT FOR CSNNE.COM RED SOX INSIDER SEAN MCADAM), I'd probably ignore the story. But with Olney, it's fair to assume that there's maybe a little something to this.

Here's what he said yesterday, on Mike and Mike:

"There are still some players on that team angry with what happened last fall," he said. "The accusations, questions about who the mole was on that chicken and beer story. One loud conversation I heard about between two teammates on that team. They've got to get that settled. It really tells you the depth of the anger that was felt after that story got out. ... there's a lot of questions among some Red Sox players about who was the guy that leaked that information out there and that has not been resolved."

The funny thing about this is the constant reference to "some Red Sox players" as if there's any question as to who might still have a problem with last year. Hmm Darnell McDonald? Maybe Matt Albers? How about Frankie Mo?

It could only be Josh Beckett.

And if it's true, that sucks, but thankfully, he only matters once every five days. And if the Sox can start winning, it won't matter at all. But before we move on from Boston's alleged clubhouse issues, I need to pass along this great quote from Big Papi, when he was asked about the reports after last night's game.

"We're just going to try and play the game right and go through it, he said. "People need to put whatever happened last year behind. You're not going to resolve any problems by talking about it."

You're not going to resolve any problems by talking about it.
I get what he's saying, but in any context that's pretty funnyastounding. Hopefully there are a few other influential leaders in that clubhouse who feel differently. If not, it might not be long before the Sox have some new problems on their hands.

Rich can be reached at rlevine@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Rich on Twitter at http:twitter.comrich_levine

Brad Ausmus interviews with Red Sox, but Alex Cora appears frontrunner

Brad Ausmus interviews with Red Sox, but Alex Cora appears frontrunner

BOSTON — Brad Ausmus was the second person to interview to replace John Farrell as Red Sox manager, baseball sources confirmed Monday afternoon. The Sox are expected to interview Ron Gardenhire, the Diamondbacks' bench coach, as well.

But the net might not be cast too wide. More and more, it sounds like the Sox already know whom they want.

Astros bench coach Alex Cora, who met with Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski in New York on Sunday, appears the frontrunner to take the reins next year. The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal has reported that to be the case multiple times, and for some inside the Sox organization, that's a growing feeling as well.

MORE:

The criteria the Sox value most isn't hard to guess: a strong connection with players, an ability to incorporate data and analytics; and someone who can handle the market.

"I knew Alex for a couple of years before getting a chance to work with him and had tried to recruit him to work a few years ago and he had other options," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said Monday in New York, before Game 3 of the American League Championship Series against the Yankees. "To watch him develop relationships with the players, he's all about baseball. He's all about the competition and small advantages within the game, one of the brightest baseball intellects that I've been around. And to see him pass some of that on and transition from player to TV personality to coach, he's had a ton of impact.

"He challenges people. He challenges me. He's someone who's all about winning. And I think to watch our players respond to him, he's got a lot of respect in that clubhouse because of the work he puts in and the attention to detail that he brings. That's why he's the hottest managerial candidate on the planet and deservedly so."

Cora joined the Astros before this season.

Ausmus, whom Dombrowski hired in Detroit ahead of the 2014 season, grew up in Connecticut and went to Dartmouth. The 48-year-old spent 18 seasons as a big-league catcher, the last in 2010. He was working for the Padres before Dombrowski gave him his first shot at managing the Tigers. 

Ausmus went 314-332 in four years managing the Tigers, a more veteran team than might have been ideal for him as a first-time manager.

Ausmus pulled out of the running to interview with the Mets, per Jon Heyman of Fan Rag while Cora was expected to interview with the Mets on Monday or Tuesday, per the New York Post's Mike Puma.

What could change from here? One baseball source indicated a second interview with Cora was expected. Asked if he plans a second round of interviews generally, Dombrowski did not say.

"We have started the interview process," Dombrowski wrote via email. "I do not have any specific time frames at this point. Will wait and evaluate as we go through the process."

The Boston Herald's Chad Jennings first reported Ausmus' interview.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Smart 'not worried' about lack of contract extension with Celtics

Smart 'not worried' about lack of contract extension with Celtics

CLEVELAND – For the third year in a row, a first-round pick of the Boston Celtics is unable to come to terms on a contract extension prior to the deadline.

That means Marcus Smart will become a restricted free agent this summer. Last year it was Kelly Olynyk (now with the Miami Heat) and in 2015 it was Jared Sullinger (now with Shenzhen Leopards of the Chinese Basketball Association).

Both the Celtics and Smart's camp intensified their discussions in recent days as the October 16th 6 p.m. EST deadline drew near.

MORE:

While there was progress made, there wasn’t enough to get a deal done.

Smart has repeatedly indicated that he wants to re-sign a long-term deal to stay in Boston.

And the market for the 6-foot-4 guard became clearer based on the contracts that some of his fellow rookie class of 2014, were receiving.

Denver’s Gary Harris agreed to a four-year, $84 million contract after establishing himself as one of the better young two-way talents in the NBA last season. And at the other end of the financial spectrum, you would have to look at Phoenix’s T.J. Warren who signed a four-year, $50 million contract.

More than likely, Smart’s deal next summer will fall somewhere between the deals those two players received.

As much as Smart would have preferred to get a deal done heading into the season, it’s not something that he’s going to cause him to lose any sleep.

“Get it done now, or get it done in six months, I’m OK either way,” he told NBC Sports Boston. “I’m not worried about it.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE