Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2010
By Jeff Nuich
CSN Chicago Senior Director of CommunicationsCSNChicago.com Contributor
Want to know more about your favorite Chicago media celebrities? CSNChicago.com has your fix as we put the citys most popular personalities on the spot with everyones favorite weekly local celeb feature entitled 5 Questions with...
On Wednesdays, exclusively on CSNChicago.com, its our turn to grill the local media and other local VIPs with five random sports and non-sports related questions that will definitely be of interest to old and new fans alike.
This weeks guest ... shes the face of Chicago rock radio giant WLUP 97.9 FM The Loop whose talents beat out hundreds of other contestants to become this years Loop Rock Girl ... shes a local gal who can be seen throughout the summer at just about every major street fest and rock concert in the city and burbs ... here are 5 Questions with... LINDSEY, The Loop Rock Girl!
BIO: Before she was crowned the 2010 Loop Rock Girl, Lindsey Nicole Schendel kept busy by bartending at some of Chicagos hottest bars and clubs. She grew up in Rolling Meadows with mom Linda, dad Bob (a long-time Loyal Looper) and little sister Bayley. Up until she moved to the city, she had lived in the same house her entire life. She went to Rolling Meadows H.S. and graduated one year early and then went on to Roosevelt University, graduating with a degree in advertising. She says she always had a hunch that she was supposed to do more than just sit behind a desk.
Lindsey is no slouch in the athletic world either as she was a gymnast since the age of 3 and a soccer player since she was 5. She now loves to play softball (shes on the Loop softball team, of course) and occasionally still kicks the soccer ball around.
She loves going to different street fests to hear the bands, meet all kinds of people and going to Chicagos best new restaurants as she is a total foodie and willing to definitely try anything once.
1) CSNChicago.com: Lindsey, congrats on being named the 2010 Loop Rock Girl. What compelled you to give it a shot when the search was on and, when you did win the title (and 75,000), also tell us how you felt at that moment when WLUP morning man Pete McMurray announced your name on stage?
Lindsey: My dad actually told me to try out when I was 20 and unfortunately at the time I was too young (you had to be at least 21). I forgot about it over the years and remembered again this year. My dad has been a Loyal Looper for as long as I can remember. Plus, I grew up listening to the Loop in his garage!
It is hard to put in words how I felt when I won. If you look back at the pictures and videos of that moment, it truly says it all. My face showed complete shock and excitement! My heart was beating like I just ran a marathon! I looked out in the crowd and saw so many people that I cared about and it put me at ease. I instantly felt so much pride. Sometimes I even watch the video on YouTube and try and relive it all over again. I am truly blessed to be given this opportunity and I still wake up every day and still find it surreal that I won!
2) CSNChicago.com: With your new gig at the Loop, youve obviously had the pleasure of meeting thousands of other Loyal Loopers, but also some celebrities. Who is the one musician and the one pro athlete youve met so far that completely had you star struck?
Lindsey: I would like to say that I dont get very star struck, but I have met some amazing classic bands like REO Speedwagon, Rush, Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cinderella, Ratt, etc. Meeting Vince Neil at the Rock Girl Finals was awesome because he was a genuinely nice guy and super easy to talk to.
I got to meet the entire Chicago Blackhawks team after the Bon Jovi concert, which was awesome ... they also had the Stanley Cup with them so it was an added bonus! I also met Carlos Zambrano at his charity event for the Big Z foundation. Check with me in a year and I am sure to have a longer list of celebrities for you!
3) CSNChicago.com: As you know, Chicago is the greatest summer city on the planet, especially when it comes to our nightlife. Name your top 5 favorite summertime hangouts and tell us why you love each one so much.
1. Boating on Lake Michigan: You cant beat it! I love going to the play pen and looking at the skyline.
2. Concerts: Lollapalooza, Ozzfest, etc! I love rocking out whenever I can!
3. Bull and Bears Patio: They have the best summer cocktail menu and its great for people watching!
4. Going to Cubs games and hitting up all the Wrigleyville bars!
5. Taking long walks on the lake or just around the city. I love finding new shops and stores! Im a bit of a shop-a-holic!
4) CSNChicago.com: Name the one rock star that you would love to go on a date with and the one that just completely repulses you.
Lindsey: Not to sound clich, but I would have to say Steven Tyler. He is a legend. His music has influenced my life since I was a little girl. Now that I am thinking about it, I would probably be completely star struck if I met him! I would also love to meet the lead singer of Buckcherry, Josh Todd. He is so yummy!
Nobody completely repulses me to be honest. Any man who can rock out and make amazing music is far from repulsive!
5) CSNChicago.com: Youre pretty open about being a die-hard Cubs fan (rumor has it you even own an Im too pretty to be a Sox fan T-shirt!). Any worries that your Sox fan base may not be too happy with that fact?
Lindsey: This goes back to my dad again. He used to take me to Cubs games and teach me the rules and pastimes of baseball. It is more about tradition with me than anything else. I have nothing against the Sox, hell, they always have a better winning streak than the Cubs every season! But yes, the rumor is true, I do own an Im too pretty to be a Sox fan" T-shirt. I made it myself at Strange Cargo. I wanted it at the time because I was bartending in Wrigleyville for the Cubs season and we had to buy our own Cubs gear to wear. I thought most Cubs fans would appreciate it. But I love baseball, so the Sox are fine with me!
BONUS QUESTION CSNChicago.com: Any upcoming Loop remote appearances you want to promote Lindsey? Tell us, CSNChicago.com want to hear about it!
Lindsey: I am always super busy but here are a few events that I am excited about:
Sat, Aug. 14: Harley Davidson of Crete. I am doing a poster signing! I recently had a photo shoot on one of their bikes.
Thu, Aug. 19: Golf for the Bear at Seven Bridges Golf Course.
Sat, Aug. 28: Monsters of Mock Series at Durty Nellies in Palatine.
Lindseys official home page on WLUP.com
Lindseys blog on WLUP.com
Lindsey on Facebook
Lindsey on Twitter
Click to e-mail Lindsey!