Blackhawks: Trevor Daley exits game early after scary collision


Blackhawks: Trevor Daley exits game early after scary collision

The scene was a scary one, with Trevor Daley lying prone after taking a knee to the head.

While his status isn't known right now, it was at least a good sign that the Blackhawks defenseman went off the ice on his own and not on the stretcher that was brought out for him.

Daley left the game with an upper-body injury after taking a knee to the head/neck area, and coach Joel Quenneville didn’t have much of an update immediately following the Blackhawks’ 3-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday.

[MORE: Patrick Kane sets Blackhawks point-streak record in win over Jets]

Daley had just taken a feed from Corey Crawford and passed up ice at the 10:44 mark of the second period. As Daley did he was leaning forward and Chris Thorburn’s knee caught the Blackhawks defenseman in the head/neck area. Daley was down for several moments and the Blackhawks brought a stretcher onto the ice. Daley, however, skated off on his own power, albeit gingerly.

Quenneville did not believe Daley went to the hospital; Quenneville added that he should know more about Daley on Monday.

“It’s something you don’t want to see. It occurs rarely but when it does it hits you in the pit of your stomach,” Quenneville said. “You have your fingers crossed, you hope for the best and seeing him come off the ice on his own power was certainly better news.”

The energy seemed to leave the game for the rest of the second period before the Blackhawks scored two in the third.

“That’s pretty scary,” Corey Crawford said. “I didn’t see what happened, how it happened, but you see him lying on the ice and he wasn’t moving much. I mean, you never want to see that happen to one of your teammates or one of the players on the other team. Everyone plays hard but those type of situations are always scary.”

Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly speaks out about 'racially charged chanting' at United Center


Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly speaks out about 'racially charged chanting' at United Center

After being on the receiving end of some racist taunts while he was in the penalty box during Saturday's game against the Blackhawks, Capitals winger Devante Smith-Pelly spoke publicly about the incident.

Smith-Pelly, a 25-year-old Canadian, reacted to the fans while he was in the box, going up to them from the other side of the glass. He addressed questions from the media about the incident on Sunday.

"I just heard some chanting, some, I guess, racially charged chanting," Smith-Pelly said. "You can tell by my reaction that I got pretty upset.

"What was said this time around crossed the line."

The Capitals released a statement about the incident:

"The Washington Capitals are extremely disappointed by the intolerant behavior extended toward Devante Smith-Pelly by a select group of fans during Saturday night's game against the Chicago Blackhawks at United Center. The Capitals organization strives to be inclusive and has zero tolerance concerning any form of racism. Such behavior is unacceptable and has no place in hockey or society. As such, it is crucial to confront such appalling conduct, and the Capitals extend their appreciation to the Blackhawks organization and United Center security for swiftly removing the fans from the game."

The Blackhawks released a statement after the game with a similar tone.

Smith-Pelly said this has happened previously in his career.

"It's sad that in 2018 we're still talking about the same thing over and over," Smith-Pelly said. "It's sad that athletes like myself 30, 40 years ago were standing in the same spot saying the same thing. You'd think there'd be some sort of change or progression, but we're still working towards it I guess and we're going to keep working towards it."

The Capitals released the full interview.

Blackhawks release statement following incident that happened during game vs. Capitals


Blackhawks release statement following incident that happened during game vs. Capitals

Four fans at the United Center were thrown out of Saturday's Blackhawks game for taunting Washington Capitals forward Devante Smith-Pelly with racist remarks.

Midway through the third period, Smith-Pelly, who is black, was in the penalty box when fans shouted "basketball, basketball, basketball" at him, the Washington Post reported.

Here is a GIF of Smith-Pelly's interaction with the fans:

After the game, the Blackhawks released this statement:

Capitals head coach Barry Trotz also had this to say about the incident: